• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Anybody know the law concerning pepper spray and minors(16 year old)

There is none.

The only laws are a person cannot have a chemical dispensing device. other than a small, commercially available device sold for personal protection.

So a small, pocket or keychain sized pepper spray is not prohibited.

challl80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    Thats what I was finding on the state website...i read the whole statute regarding weapons...no other mention anywhere.

I did find that the potato gun I made 20 years ago is illegal...DOH

challl80

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    Cypress, TX
    lol...letting my child carry it. She's 16, works in a high profile shopping center and there are bad people out there. She shoots very well...but I already understand that legality...lol

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    Wouldn't a tazer be a better idea. My problem with OC is that the cylindrical shape makes it hard to find the locking mechanism and point it in the right direction. And Tazers are a tad more intimidating. They sound like they hurt. Now as to the legality of the issue I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Wouldn't a tazer be a better idea. My problem with OC is that the cylindrical shape makes it hard to find the locking mechanism and point it in the right direction. And Tazers are a tad more intimidating. They sound like they hurt. Now as to the legality of the issue I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable.

It is TASER, with an S. And in my opinion and not as good for civilians as LE. First, they are expensive. The least expensive is $300. Second. they are a one shot device. Miss and you are SOL. You have to register the device with TASER international before you can use it.

If you are referring to the stun guns, those noisy things that they make pop at the gun shows that are cheap? Those do not work. They do not cause the muscular lock up that you see on COPS when a person is hit with a TASER. They produce local pain only, and one only need move away from the device to make the pain stop.

TASER shoots the probes, stun guns do not.

Pepper spray is ideal for the OP. I have used various kinds, in addition to being sprayed for training, and they are not difficult to operate. As with anything, situational awareness is important.

Last edited:

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    It is TASER, with an S. And in my opinion and not as good for civilians as LE. First, they are expensive. The least expensive is $300. Second. they are a one shot device. Miss and you are SOL. You have to register the device with TASER international before you can use it.

If you are referring to the stun guns, those noisy things that they make pop at the gun shows that are cheap? Those do not work. They do not cause the muscular lock up that you see on COPS when a person is hit with a TASER. They produce local pain only, and one only need move away from the device to make the pain stop.

TASER shoots the probes, stun guns do not.

Pepper spray is ideal for the OP. I have used various kinds, in addition to being sprayed for training, and they are not difficult to operate. As with anything, situational awareness is important.

Ok, I had always heard the terms used interchangeably(I am not LE, I have never used either one). But I have a couple questions for you. My reason for the questions is that I almost broke the guys arms at the first station in OC Baton Training immediately after being sprayed with OC.

Everytime I have ever drawn OC(Pepper Spray just to be clear for anyone who might not not know) the canister has been been backwards or Ive had to fumble with it to get it in the right position. Would it be more natural to simply push a stun gun up an out of the back pocket, and push the button with either your thumb or index finger(because it would be kind of hard to have a square like that in wrong position.

My other question is considering that OC is not going make the guy go away if he is determined. My thoughts are that I would want to be able to cause at least temporary pain every time some guy got close. Thoughts?

I am curious as well why stun guns don't cause muscle lock up Hz too low?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ok, I had always heard the terms used interchangeably(I am not LE, I have never used either one). But I have a couple questions for you. My reason for the questions is that I almost broke the guys arms at the first station in OC Baton Training immediately after being sprayed with OC.
    That stuff is NOOOO fun, right? I hate being sprayed.

Everytime I have ever drawn OC(Pepper Spray just to be clear for anyone who might not not know) the canister has been been backwards or Ive had to fumble with it to get it in the right position. Would it be more natural to simply push a stun gun up an out of the back pocket, and push the button with either your thumb or index finger(because it would be kind of hard to have a square like that in wrong position.
    Humm, I would have to watch you draw, but I have not experienced that. I do think OC should be in hand in preparation of being used rather than a quick draw. The Keydefender does not present the issue you describe, though.

My other question is considering that OC is not going make the guy go away if he is determined. My thoughts are that I would want to be able to cause at least temporary pain every time some guy got close. Thoughts?
    In most encounters the OC can be effective before used. It tends to get attention. No one wants to be sprayed. Once deployed, just the idea of being hit will dissuade most. The burn will take care of 99% of the rest of them. There is a small percentage of people who are not affected by OC.

OC, like a TASER, baton or any other device, has advantages and disadvantages.

I am curious as well why stun guns don't cause muscle lock up Hz too low?

While I do not understand the physiology and technology, stun guns are cheap and only cause pain where you touch the person. They hurt like hell and make you want to punch the person witting you with it, to be sure. I have played with those with other guys to see who could keep from moving away the longest. (yes, we are THOSE guys) I also don't like the fact that you must get close enough to touch the person to use a Stun Gun, meaning they can touch you too.

Trivia; Do you know what TASER us an acronym for? No googling..........

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I gave a pepper spray personal\carry sized keychain to a single mom. Firearms weren't an option her boys were never raised around them nor had the discipline to have a gun in the house.

One night Houston cockroach decided to invade the house. Lacking other smart options she decided to deploy the pepperspray I'd provided her on the tree roach. Well it worked on the roach, also the family. It woke up the kids and they had to sleep elsewhere that night.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I keep pepper spray at work and Serah has one. I have never been sprayed but seen a few people
    sprayed. Had a friend a long time ago spray it on a basketball. Even without the direct contact he was
    incapacitated for a while. Looked painful. I like the pepper spray better than the Stun gun because
    you don't have to be as close. Having either is still better than nothing though.

Gunns0902

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Cradle of Liberty, TX
    That stuff is NOOOO fun, right? I hate being sprayed.

Humm, I would have to watch you draw, but I have not experienced that. I do think OC should be in hand in preparation of being used rather than a quick draw. The Keydefender does not present the issue you describe, though.

In most encounters the OC can be effective before used. It tends to get attention. No one wants to be sprayed. Once deployed, just the idea of being hit will dissuade most. The burn will take care of 99% of the rest of them. There is a small percentage of people who are not affected by OC.

OC, like a TASER, baton or any other device, has advantages and disadvantages.

While I do not understand the physiology and technology, stun guns are cheap and only cause pain where you touch the person. They hurt like hell and make you want to punch the person witting you with it, to be sure. I have played with those with other guys to see who could keep from moving away the longest. (yes, we are THOSE guys) I also don't like the fact that you must get close enough to touch the person to use a Stun Gun, meaning they can touch you too.

Trivia; Do you know what TASER us an acronym for? No googling..........

I didn't even remember it was an acronym, so I have no clue. And YESSSS that stuff SUCKKKKKSSS. I had a buddy who would say he would rather be shot again, than sprayed with OC.

As to the effectiveness of OC, I did not know those things

Maybe the reason for the fumbling draw is the canister.... I have the Saber Red keychain canister. There has to be a better design, and way to store it than with your keys. I am a pretty big guy, so I prefer a baton, but they are technically illegal to carry in SA, so I have a Maglite for a non lethal weapon. Let all 240 lbs of me hit you with that, and we shall see if you want to go for round 2. Not quite the same for a little girl though.

Note to the OP: The prevailing theme is every thread I have ever seen on these topics is......training. If you are concerned about her safety, I would put her in martial arts and self defense classes. There was a murder recently @ O.P. Schnabel park here in SA, in broad daylight, by some guy who wanted to try out his new knife he got for Christmas (Not an exaggeration). My wife was acquainted with the victim. As far as I can tell, it is not as safe in public as it used to be, so we decided that my wife needs her CHL and she will be attending as many classes as I can afford. She is no little daisy either, more like my 6'3" Amazon Queen.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I keep pepper spray at work and Serah has one. I have never been sprayed but seen a few people
    sprayed. Had a friend a long time ago spray it on a basketball. Even without the direct contact he was
    incapacitated for a while. Looked painful. I like the pepper spray better than the Stun gun because
    you don't have to be as close.
    That, and pepper spray actually works. :weights:

Top Bottom