• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    The spray can dissipate too quickly if there is a breeze and will not always hit your your target, along with the added benefit of being blown back in your face. It also does not coat enough of whoever you are trying to spray, it 'mists' them. The foam is shitty as well and doesn't work nearly as well, and can be easily brushed or wiped off before it has time to take serious effect. Neither the foam or spray can be 'shot' as far. The stream is easy to aim, shoots farther with more accuracy, and gets more of the stuff on target without being blown away by wind. You can actually make the z pattern or whatever you were taught with the stream. Just remember, no matter what you use, you will get that shit on you and breathe it in as well. So as much as it sucks, it pays to be exposed to it before you actually have to use it for real.

On a personal note, I hate the shit. I'd rather shoot someone, I think it's more humane. I absolutely hate OC or pepper spray or whatever you want to call it. I call it the devil's semen because it's like taking a facial from satan.

Last edited:

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    As both a TASER instructor and OC spray instructor I can shed some light on this. The TASERs from Taser International are first rate. The new "shaped pulse" technology penetrates the skin and gets deep in the muscle. Lock up is VERY firm. I have not seen anyone "take it". I have been on the receiving end 4 times and it is VERY effective. The draw back is you MUST aim and hit with both probes. Ideally hitting two different hemispheres of the body. A good hit puts people down.

OC or pepper spray works primarily by causing an involuntary closure of the eyes. If you cannot see, you cannot fight effectively. Yeah, maybe. Pain is the secondary side effect. Drunks and crazies are not affected nearly as much. An experienced (well seasoned) recipient of the spice can work through it. I have caught OC in the eyes literally hundreds of times and it does not phase me much. I know how to work through it.

Not all OC is created equal. There is a lot of hype out there about SHU's. Scoville Heat Units. Many advertise 2 million SHU's. This is VERY misleading. A can labeled 2 million SHU's has about the same "heat" as a can labeled 1 million SHU's. The all have about 50,000 actual SHU's in the can. The first (impressive) number is the rating of the base product that is diluted to give, an industry standard, 50,000. 1 million would cause chemical burns an probably blindness, thereby opening up the user and the manufacturer to extreme liability. Blindness would be considered Serious Bodily Injury. Doing so when deadly force was not justified would likely lead to a civil suit and potentially criminal charges.

There are manufacturers who use some nasty chemicals in the receipe. Most LE supply stores will carry OC that is non flammable and non-toxic. First Defense is one carried by many LE agencies. Food grade stuff that makes a good marinade for chicken and gives a nice kick to pizza but burns like an SOB when sprayed in the eyes. Just like with ammo choice for your defensive handgun, use what the local LE uses (if possible). Harder for someone to say you were trying to really harm the guy. Sabre Defense has some in the same class. I have one can of their "5.5" that recipients say burns a bit worse than the standard First Defense, but decontaminates about the same.

Avoid the little key chain cans. They suck. Get her a Mark 3 sized can. Small enough to be portable. Large enough to actually be useful. Buy 2 and have her practice with one.

Top Bottom