Venture Surplus ad

Pepper spray, OC spray, Bear spray and the like.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Non-lethal defensive sprays; a few specific questions.

I guess, first of all, WHY are these things not legal in Texas? (I mean, after all, they ARE "non-lethal" ?)

Is there any move afoot to get the Texas legislature to approve these type of items for defensive use?

Spray laws are even more convoluted than knife laws between states. Some states allow them and some don't - that's a real reciprocity nightmare.

Note: Mods, if this discussion belongs in a different location please move it or let me know (thanks).

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No restrictions at all?

As long as it is a small, commercially available container for self defense.

(14) "Chemical dispensing device" means a device, other than a small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection, that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of dispensing a substance capable of causing an adverse psychological or physiological effect on a human being

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Half ounce of 10% pepper spray (on a key chain) = most likely, legally, "ok".

Six ounces of 15% OC (2% MC) in a "canister" style with spray nozzle = most likely, not legally, "ok".

Against a determined, hopped-up meth head, the first is just likely to piss him off! While the second, would likely stop the attack. (IMHO - YMMV)

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Wasp spray is legal & cheaper, plus easier to get on target.

Yes but using wasp spray, starting fluid, oven cleaner or spray paint as a self defense tool is a violation of federal law.

Key chain sized sprays up to 6oz sprays are fine. It's when you get into crowd control sized sprays that are the size of small fire extinguishers and bear spray canisters you risk Running afoul of the law.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I think OP might be confusing the Texas legal mace pepper spray with the Texas not legal mace spikey club.

Top Bottom