• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings
    As I wait to take my CCW course and process the paperwork, any suggestions on pepper spray I should be carrying? I know there’s various grades and potency, plus gels or spray. Any and all insights appreciated.

I work in downtown Austin and with the recent thugs protesting their fellow thugs, would prefer to have something to deploy if needed. Once I’m approved I’ll be handing off the spray to my wife and she’s not comfortable carrying, yet.

thanks in advance
    Guns International

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Defense Technology's mk-3. Any strength will burn plenty, it more effects the duration from what I understand.

Gel, and stuff is just hype. The regular stream is by far the best.

You WILL get some too if you ever use it, just expect it and enjoy the cleared out sinuses.

Also, I often carry OC in addition to my pistol. It is "force" i.e. the same as a punch. It is nice because it gives you more options than a fist fight or shooting someone. It keeps a stand off, will throw off their OODA loop and give you an opportunity to disengage and go home safe without having to shoot anyone.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Defense Technology's mk-3. Any strength will burn plenty, it more effects the duration from what I understand.

You WILL get some too if you ever use it, just expect it and enjoy the cleared out sinuses.

Also, I often carry OC in addition to my pistol. It is "force" i.e. the same as a punch. It is nice because it gives you more options than a fist fight or shooting someone. It keeps a stand off, will throw off their OODA loop and give you an opportunity to disengage and go home safe without having to shoot anyone.

A43A6707-A7CD-4753-9F31-33F392E00D2D.jpeg
    I volunteered to take a shot of this at my OC instructor renewal. I have been sprayed a bunch and can fight through it.
    Not this shit. Nothing I did would allow me to open my eyes. Took a minute to be able to hear the pain was so shocking.

Learned my lesson.:)

Attachments

• A43A6707-A7CD-4753-9F31-33F392E00D2D.jpeg
      A43A6707-A7CD-4753-9F31-33F392E00D2D.jpeg
      319.9 KB · Views: 638

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    View attachment 221933 I volunteered to take a shot of this at my OC instructor renewal. I have been sprayed a bunch and can fight through it.
    Not this shit. Nothing I did would allow me to open my eyes. Took a minute to be able to hear the pain was so shocking.

Learned my lesson.:)
    When I got certified on OC, I had to hold my eye open with one hand. I am issued .2%, but I buy the 1.3% for me.

Besides getting certified on it, I caught plenty working the entertainment district.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    When I got certified on OC, I had to hold my eye open with one hand. I am issued .2%, but I buy the 1.3% for me.

Besides getting certified on it, I caught plenty working the entertainment district.

The stuff in the picture is a vapor. Gets everything and the carrier evaporates almost instantaneously. Nastiest stuff I have ever been hit with. It is used for crowd control.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When I went through OC trainer certification back in the 90’s, the instructor walked in the room and hosed down the entire front row. Then periodically throughout the class he would just hose down an entire section of the room. We would just sit there in the classroom and wait for the effects to wear off so we could take notes again.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I need a can of that on a motion detector, under the hood of my tractor. Rats are chewing hoses and wiring as fast as I can fix it.
    Glue traps. Lots and lots of rat glue traps.

The long slow screaming death might deter other rats.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    As I wait to take my CCW course and process the paperwork, any suggestions on pepper spray I should be carrying? I know there’s various grades and potency, plus gels or spray. Any and all insights appreciated.

I work in downtown Austin and with the recent thugs protesting their fellow thugs, would prefer to have something to deploy if needed. Once I’m approved I’ll be handing off the spray to my wife and she’s not comfortable carrying, yet.

thanks in advance
    I used punch 2 for years. Sprayed probably a couple hundred people. Only didnt work a couple times and both had mental issues.

You always get contaminated too.

You need to choose between streamers and foggers. I used streamers as they go a bit farther and stand up to wind better but take a second or two longer to work depending on where they are hit.

Foggers are faster to work but you will get more on you.

Remember it's the gift that keeps on giving. Every time the effected area gets wet it will burn again for a couple days depending on decontamination. Not bad but also not fun especially if it washes into the crotch area.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I used punch 2 for years. Sprayed probably a couple hundred people. Only didnt work a couple times and both had mental issues.

You always get contaminated too.
    Yes, good points I left out...

First, there are some people that are completely immune to OC. As in you might was well use a kids water squirt gun on them.

Second, it is pain compliance and the involuntary snotting and eye closing, but a determined person can fight through it IF they are highly motivated.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Yes, good points I left out...

First, there are some people that are completely immune to OC. As in you might was well use a kids water squirt gun on them.

Second, it is pain compliance and the involuntary snotting and eye closing, but a determined person can fight through it IF they are highly motivated.

One guy was suicidal and broke his TV and was walking on the glass and cutting his self. I didnt want to send my officers into a small space to get him while he was able to really fight so I sprayed him. Hit him right between the eyes with a good 3 or 4 second spray.

No response. No eyes close nothing.

So I filled the room with a fogger and not so much as a sniffle. Even after 30 to 45 seconds.

By this point he was a bloody mess so we had to drag him out.

Second guy it initially made him close his eyes but he fought thru it.

After taking him down I was majorly contaminated. Really had the oily capsaicin rubbed into my exposed skin. It burned for almost a week at every shower or time I sweated.

It's a tool to create time and space when used for defense but not a magic bullet.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2020
    Dripping Speings

thank you. Just ordered a canister of 1.3% via amazon. Going to stop by a couple of shops tomorrow to see if they have any stock.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Kimber also has an interesting offering with which I have personal experience. Two trigger pulls. Two shots - that's all ya get. Essentially aimed like a pistol and charged with a primer vs aerosol. I deployed one shot in the face of a freaking massive and pissed off cinnamon Doberman. Adrenaline rattled as he was, it stopped him immediately in his tracks and sent him packing, hollering until he hit a patch of grass. The only thing he could do was cry and rub his face on it. I and my little mutt sauntered away with hearts beating pretty quickly I assure you. I'm a believer and carry one every morning when we walk the mutts. I have no desire to shoot a dog. Don't see why it wouldn't be equally effective on two-legged curs.

TexasFire316

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Houston

thanks in advance
    I'm partial to hornet spray. Everyone in Texas has the need to keep one in their car/truck for when they stop to get their mail. And just for pests in general. Most of the single women I know keep a can on their nightstand.
    If I was the bad guy, I would just ask you to go ahead and shoot me, either way, I'm going to the ER.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The MK-9s make me smile anyway...

After 3 or 4 showers and a couple of days later. “Smile” would not be the word I used. If I ever deploy this stuff on someone it is truly because they earned it.
    5789E8BE-6FF1-4273-AB85-255B1D0512A9.jpeg

Attachments

• 5789E8BE-6FF1-4273-AB85-255B1D0512A9.jpeg
      5789E8BE-6FF1-4273-AB85-255B1D0512A9.jpeg
      149.3 KB · Views: 916
    Top Bottom