Military Camp

Permission to carry on otherwise posted property: document needed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    OK, lets say that you go visit a museum or something, a privately owned place, that is posted 30.06. But the owner says, "i want to give you permission to carry here."

What would some sample language for such a document giving permission need to say?

Something like; "I, cpileri, owner of 'this 30.06-posted place", and speaking as the owner/with the authority of the owner of said property; do hereby give _'cpileri's buddy'- permission to carry his handgun in a manner otherwise in acccordance with applicable Texas CHL laws. This permission applies indefinitely until otherwise revoked by me. Signed, cpileri on this day -(date)-"

Then the standard form i was brainstorming on this thread:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...ements-protection-third-persons-property.html
    protection of 3rd party property with an indemnity clause could be added.

It might be few circumstances where this permission would be given, but could come in handy to keep you out of legal trouble if you got it.

What do you think? anyone have any advice on the language?

nevermind that no one may ever actually get such a permission slip. That's another question.

C-
    ARJ Defense ad

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    I am certainly not going to attempt an acutal "answer" to this situation but the first thought I had was this...since we are talking about private property, if you truly do have permission from the 'owner/person in control' of the property to carry on that property then how could you get in trouble? Who would call the cops? I don't know all the in's and out's but isn't the violation of 30.06 considered trespassing...criminal trespassing...but trespassing none the less? Doesn't an accusation of trespassing usually come from the property owner/controler?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    OP, you do not need anything in writing. What language might be included in some written permission really can be pretty simple.

Again, you are over thinking.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    are you talking about being an unofficial security guard (protecting 3rd party!)? because that's got all kinds of illegal on it.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    are you talking about being an unofficial security guard (protecting 3rd party!)? because that's got all kinds of illegal on it.

I believe what he wants, is to know that if he has permission from the Property owner to carry, on an otherwise valid 30.06 posted property. Theres nothing illegal about carrying with permission.

If he was being paid to carry with the specific purpose to protect the property, that would be illegal without a commission, and through a Private Security Provider, I believe.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    Koinonia- you're right, i just want permission in writing.

TXI- you're right, too; i tend to over think.

oohrah- no not at all. just say your buddy own a shop and posts it 30.06 but wants you to be able to carry there legally. Your buddy is not always there, sometimes he has someone else working the place, so he wants to give you a note that says "I own the place and I say cpileri can carry here". Just to save you and the police the hassle of misunderstanding if the occasion for you to use your sidearm occurs when your buddy-the-owner is not present.

booyah- similarly, say you had the owner's verbal permission. OK, I get it: I am legally covered- EVENTUALLY. but if owner is not there, and the unthinkable happens and you use your pistol. you now hang around like a good citizen whiel the police come and investigate. They see you shot the bad guy, and then see that the place is posted- you potentially get to spend some time waiting for your owner buddy to say he gave you permission. that time may well be unpleasant or in an unpleasant place. i am trying to avoid that.

Jordanmills- what's your problem, man?

C-

Last edited:
    Top Bottom