• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    More success stories from people on txchlforum.com who called their state reps, and got nearly immediate calls from DPS saying that they were getting their permits sent out. In many cases, people who've been unreasonably held up have had their permits over-nighted as a courtesy. Pretty impressive.

Yeah, I have read those. Knowing how the system works and for whom DPS works makes me skeptical. But if it makes anyone feel better who I am to poopoo on em?

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    1 story.... skeptical over the likelihood of coincidence makes sense. Story getting repeated over and over? Stubborn disbeliever becomes more likely. LOL

DILLON1980

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
    So here's the latest with my application. I finally decided to stop calling my state rep and Austin and I finally called the DPS regional office here in Houston. Get this...I spoke directly to the lady who does all the background checks for Harris County. Ofcourse I was extremely nice to her and thanked her for her hard work. I then explained that I respect what she does and value her time but I'm concerned about the fact that I've been waiting so long. Anyway, She took my name and app # and agreed to look into my file and see what she could do to process it faster. Now - I wait. No big deal really. I've been waiting since August 5th. I'll keep you guys posted.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Wow, so the state rep thing didn't work, huh? I thought that was the trump card to immediate CHL-dom. Bummer. I guess when they get calls regularly from state reps, the clout issue diminishes.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Yet more people this very week over on txchlforum who called their reps and got action immediately. There's so much interestingly conflicting info.. . this poster talked to someone in Austin who's responsible for the background checks in Harris County? And here everything I've read has been that the state agency sends their background checks to the local county offices... I wonder how much is smoke and mirrors. LOL

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    .. . this poster talked to someone in Austin who's responsible for the background checks in Harris County? And here everything I've read has been that the state agency sends their background checks to the local county offices... I wonder how much is smoke and mirrors. LOL
    If you read his post, he spoke to somebody who works for DPS in Harris... not Austin, atually the person responsible for the BC in Harris...

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    If you read his post, he spoke to somebody who works for DPS in Harris... not Austin, atually the person responsible for the BC in Harris...

Sometimes I wonder how I ever read anything. LOL Yeah, that jives with what I've read other places...there is ONE person in Harris County who processes backgrounds for CHLs.

DILLON1980

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
    Okay Gents and Gals. Its here. I finally recieved my license in the mail today. I'm not saying that calling your state rep doesn't help . All I'm saying is that calling my state rep didn't help me. The state reps office just calls Austin like everybody else does. Austin isn't responsible for the backlog in Houston Gulf Coast . I had to call the DPS office here directly and massage my way to the direct extension of the ONE lady the does the background checks for all Harris County. After being super nice to her, she agreed to search for my name among thousands of background checks that were just stockpiled and relegated to June 2009 probably. After finding the "ONE" I had to play my cards right ( or sweet talk if you like) and a few weeks later...Voila . If you are in Harris County, stop calling your state rep. They will only turn around and call Austin. They won't call DPS because DPS does not report to them nor are they affiliated in the same way that they can hold Austin accountable.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Okay Gents and Gals. Its here. I finally recieved my license in the mail today. I'm not saying that calling your state rep doesn't help . All I'm saying is that calling my state rep didn't help me. The state reps office just calls Austin like everybody else does. Austin isn't responsible for the backlog in Houston Gulf Coast . I had to call the DPS office here directly and massage my way to the direct extension of the ONE lady the does the background checks for all Harris County. After being super nice to her, she agreed to search for my name among thousands of background checks that were just stockpiled and relegated to June 2009 probably. After finding the "ONE" I had to play my cards right ( or sweet talk if you like) and a few weeks later...Voila . If you are in Harris County, stop calling your state rep. They will only turn around and call Austin. They won't call DPS because DPS does not report to them nor are they affiliated in the same way that they can hold Austin accountable.

Gld you got your license.

Small point of clarification; When you say your rep called Austin you know they called DPS is Austin, right?

DILLON1980

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
    Yeah. I should have clarified that. What I mean to say is that the state rep is unwilling to call the local office here in Houston that does the background checks. They misguidedly call Austin instead to inquire about the waiting time.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    My CHL experience - for what it's worth

I took my class back in Feb 08. But waited until Nov to send in my packet. I sent an e-mail asking about my status and the response was that it was recieved on Nov 12, 08. I sent another e-mail asking about the lead times and the response was a curt " it can take 60 days". On Jan 9th, 09 (59 days) I checked the online status and it had changed from "processing" to "complete - issued or active". So, now I will see how long it takes to come in the mail. I was quite impressed that even with the holidays, they were able to get that far in 59 days.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Their website politely asks not to contact them in under 60 days.

All those people calling their reps and senators and the Governor's office seems to have did something. Last I heard, Harris county got additional help to clear the backlog.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    I was having trouble logging in so I asked the question at the same time. I was trying to log in to the CHL INSTRUCTOR site instead.

People who carry guns should be able to read directions!

Top Bottom