• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grumpybutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Spring
    Hi Guys --Just thought I'd put my .02 in on CCW back log. I have read E-mailing your State Rep or Gov helps Ya sure. Well after over 4 months I did just that, in 5 days was at my door "Priority Mail", could not believe it. Had a little glitz, when I E-mailed I address it Mr. and Mrs. sense we took class at the same time, I E-mail back 3 days latter her's was approved on there web sight and I expect it in the mail today. Stroke off luck ? don't know, but it's sure worth the try. First time Legal in 40 years, kind of feels funny.
    DK Firearms

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think it was just timing. I can't see how any State Rep. has any authority to have any state agency change a process unless it's for a Lobbiest or cash. :p

But it seems like the back log has been worked way down.

DILLON1980

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
    I've been waiting for 123 days. In fact, in 30 minutes it will be 124. Sounds pathetic but thats where I'm at with it. When you are expecting something you tend to look forward to it no matter how big or little of a deal it is.

sv6er

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Doesn't it state in the lawbook somewhere that they have to issue it within like, 30 or 90 days?

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    no, it says basically they have 30 days to start, then 60 days to

a) deny
    b) approve
    c) tell you there's a delay and give you an ETA

so if 89 days after they get your appliction they send you a letter saying "We're experiencing issues getting your background done. It could take 6 months more to complete" they're in compliance with the law.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    My sons app was sent in in the beginning of August, he had one item to clarify/correct, and he was told yesterday that they were "issuing" his permit I believe. So, 5 months with one hiccup.

Jeff B.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    When you are expecting something you tend to look forward to it no matter how big or little of a deal it is.

Back in 1996, when I first applied for my CHL, the wait was said to be between 45-90 days from the point of receipt of application. Back then, there was no checking status on the internet, and calling them was all but futile. So, beginning 48 days past the date at which they received my application, I would run to the mailbox every day like a kid waking on Christmas morning. I did that for 44 days straight until it finally showed up.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I've only been waiting about 6 weeks so guess I can't complain yet. Seems strange that background checks are always to blame when you can walk into a gun shop, buy a gun, and the background (FBI) check takes all of 5 minutes.

Did e-mail my state rep and the governor before ever taking the CHL class to complain about the lengthy wait for the license process. Rick Perry (or his office) has yet to acknowledge my e-mail but my state rep's chief of staff assured me that extra people have been added to process the nearly 200,000 applications this year. Seems from some threads on TexasCHL forum that the wait has decrease and some are reporting applying in late October or early November and already receiving plastic. Guess there is hope yet.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    The FBI check doesn't check everything that the CHL folks check. Some of the CHL things are simply harder to find... child support issues, student loan issues...

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Yeah I forgot about those kind of things being included. Makes me even more upset since I have never had any of those issues and my check shouldn't take long at all. Guess impatience is getting the best of me and my wait has only just begun. Still "processing application" today.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I've only been waiting about 6 weeks so guess I can't complain yet. Seems strange that background checks are always to blame when you can walk into a gun shop, buy a gun, and the background (FBI) check takes all of 5 minutes.
    They punch your info into a computer.

Texas law requires that an actual investigator for DPS go into the county clerks and other records offices of counties where you have lived and conduct the hands on checks.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    "Texas law requires that an actual investigator for DPS go into the county clerks and other records offices of counties where you have lived and conduct the hands on checks."

A woefully inefficient way to do thses checks and one that is about to change I might add...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    "Texas law requires that an actual investigator for DPS go into the county clerks and other records offices of counties where you have lived and conduct the hands on checks."

A woefully inefficient way to do thses checks and one that is about to change I might add...

Not really. There was even a news report here in the DFW area about how MANY counties fail to report criminal records to DPS. Also, DPS is required to check civil records.

As a PI when we do REAL backgrounds we go into the counties. It is the only way to be sure.

I don't see Texas minimizing the background checks.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Not really. There was even a news report here in the DFW area about how MANY counties fail to report criminal records to DPS. Also, DPS is required to check civil records.

As a PI when we do REAL backgrounds we go into the counties. It is the only way to be sure.

I don't see Texas minimizing the background checks.

And they will continue to do so. They are not minimizing the checks....but it is inefficient to have Highway Patrol Troopers doing that work and thats who does it most of the time now. Work they are not trained very well to do. DPS is currently reorganizing their CLE divisions and is handing off the CHL work to a civilian group that will be tasked with the tedious background stuff.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And they will continue to do so. They are not minimizing the checks....but it is inefficient to have Highway Patrol Troopers doing that work and thats who does it most of the time now. Work they are not trained very well to do. DPS is currently reorganizing their CLE divisions and is handing off the CHL work to a civilian group that will be tasked with the tedious background stuff.

Yeah, sunset really ripped through the department.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Don't feel bad. I have one student that has been waiting a year. For some reason, DPS keeps rejecting his photos. I just signed his 3rd set. NOTHING was wrong with any of them. The first set they said was too grainy. The second set was too dark, even though they were lighter than the first set and he had them taken at Walgreens. He had another set taken at some photo shop. To me, these actually LOOK grainy, but who knows? I've heard they have been summarily rejecting photos and prints 2 times, then accepting the third set without question. I guess they can't say they're backlogged when they blame it on us, can they?

DILLON1980

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Houston
    I am officially frustrated. I've seen two people on these posts who applied in early August like me and they have been issued their license. I sent an email to my state rep and no response. Any ideas guys and girls?

G3036ARL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Mine was in the mail when I got back yesterday. Mine was a renewal, I messed up on the affidavit and then I held it for about 10 days while I had it. mine too just under 90 days with me holding it for a while do the DPS time was between 70 and 80 days. Next time I will not wait until a couple of days before it expires.

Top Bottom