Midwest
    9A577861-C1C5-467B-9977-F3DB0DCEB8A6.jpeg

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Always wanted to go shoot some Pheasant in the Dakotas but only made it to a pay to shoot place for raised birds. Had fun shooting em with an old Humpback 20 and 7 1/2s.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Pheasant hunting once in Nebraska. Tremendous fun. Had a brittany spaniel and was a natural hunter but otherwise worthless dog. A pheasant can land in a fresh plowed field with nothing but one tiny bush and become invisible except to a dog. I learned a lot.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    One of the things I do miss about California was their pheasant hunts in the Central Valley. I used to go every weekend with my dad and brother hunting pheasant in Tracy and Lodi area. Since coming to Texas never did hunt any birds with the exception of dove.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I've never been anywhere to hunt pheasant except Iowa in the late 80's when I was working at UIHC in Iowa City.

As a Texan used to private land and leases, I was shocked to learn that I could pull up tp most any farm house and be allowed to hunt some field usually on some drainage. I had no dog, but walk hunted and was shocked again at just how many birds there were and how close they would wait to flush.

My first couple hunts I had a hard time bringing my 30" Rem 1100 to bear quick enough, but a change to a 21" barrel did the trick. Was a lot of fun, so long ago now that I hadn't thought about it for years.

Thanks for the thread that spurred my memories!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I grew up in a pheasant paradise. I would walk my Brittany Spaniel on a check cord along I-80 & jump birds to no end. Any undeveloped land held birds. As kids we shot them with Wrist Rocket Sling Shots with great success.

On one trip home after many years in Texas I was surprised to hear the pheasant were all gone. Whipped out by coyotes was what I told. Never even heard a coyote while growing up. I heard Turkey took up where the pheasants no longer were, never seen wild turkeys growing up.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    IIRC there used to be some pheasants out by Granger Lake. Stocked I think. But if IIRC they couldn't make a go of it due to fire ants eating the babies.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I grew up in a pheasant paradise. I would walk my Brittany Spaniel on a check cord along I-80 & jump birds to no end. Any undeveloped land held birds. As kids we shot them with Wrist Rocket Sling Shots with great success.

On one trip home after many years in Texas I was surprised to hear the pheasant were all gone. Whipped out by coyotes was what I told. Never even heard a coyote while growing up. I heard Turkey took up where the pheasants no longer were, never seen wild turkeys growing up.
    I grew up in that area (I-80 / Midwest) during the late 60s and early 70s. Pheasant and quail both were in short numbers then. We were told that the decline was from the road crews spreading the salt in the winter and the birds eating it, along with the roadside gravel, for their gizzards and dying.

In 1968 my father sold off his poultry business that involved three farms that represented over half a million chickens. The buyers of the largest one started raising pheasant, quail, chuckers, and grouse for the hunting clubs around the region.

Top Bottom