• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some things that had me wanting to toss my in:

A P229 in .40 is going to be a little bit of a handful, IMO. .40 is a bit snappier than 9mm, which would be my choice for a P229. That said, Sigs are kind of boring guns; they just do what you want them to when asked... which is why I love them. My wife? Bored by Sigs. Not exciting.

I'd strongly suggest you try a Glock at some point if you haven't. I'm not a fan myself, but a lot of women I know love them.

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I appreciate y'all sharing in my excitement.

M.Sage, you mentioned the Glock. A friend of mine said he would loan me his Glock 17 for range shooting while he is overseas. I know nothing about this gun. Anyone have the 411 on it?

I'm going on vacation tomorrow but when I get back, I'm going to schedule my CHL class. Can't wait!

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The Glock 17 is a great handgun, it is pretty much the original "plastic fantastic", you may like the 19 a little better as it is a slightly downsized version and may fit your hand a little better. I am getting a Glock 23 (same gun in .40 cal) in the next few days and will also be picking up a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for two guns in one! The Springfield XD is a fantastic gun, I have carried one daily for about 7 months now and put an ungodly amount of ammo through it, I just figure I should try the darkside out as well. If you are heading up to Shiloh after I get it, let me know and I will let you do a side-by-side.....

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    A Glock is simplicity defined. Semi automatic, no external safety, fixed sights (usually), no external hammer. You just put in a loaded clip, pull back and release the slide, aim it at your target, and keep pulling the trigger until empty. They very very rarely jam. The slide is metal and the frame is a lightweight polymer. They are simple to take strip and clean and re-assemble. But, like everything else, some people hate them and some love them.

I don't think that you'll find too many folks who will claim that they are "beautiful" or "pretty." The key is whether it will fit you well and whether you like it. You can't really tell that until you fire it. If someone has offered one up for you to try, the only thing you have to lose is the price of some ammo.

Good shooting!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    A G19 is a good fitting pistol. While I've never shot one, I'd got the dummy upstairs I handle and it doesn't feel bad at all.

If you're also curious, try and M&P 9 Compact. My husband's got one and while I'm a terrible shot with the double action trigger (I'm more of the 1911 fan), it has great ergonomics, good sights, great capacity and is very easy to handle.

It'll compare to the Glock.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yup, the blue gun. The husband's downstairs

Left yourself open for that one... You know that sort of stuff never get's by here.

I had brought my G19 to the second to last shoot because Paula wanted to shoot it a bit (her CHL test gun) and you said you had never shoot one, so I thought I'd give you a go at it. But alas, you couldn't make it that day. I gave your turn to High Cap 1911. :p

If I think about it I'll bring it around on the 26th and let you shoot some if you like.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Left yourself open for that one... You know that sort of stuff never get's by here.

I had brought my G19 to the second to last shoot because Paula wanted to shoot it a bit (her CHL test gun) and you said you had never shoot one, so I thought I'd give you a go at it. But alas, you couldn't make it that day. I gave your turn to High Cap 1911. :p

If I think about it I'll bring it around on the 26th and let you shoot some if you like.

Ahh, you're a saint I'd like to take you up on shooting the G19. Thanks!

Did High-Cap do my turn justice?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Ahh, you're a saint I'd like to take you up on shooting the G19. Thanks!

Did High-Cap do my turn justice?

Yes, actually he was pretty much against Glocks, but said he might consider one in a .40. I had my TRL-1 light attached, and he liked that so much he went and bought one in the classifieds.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I appreciate y'all sharing in my excitement.

M.Sage, you mentioned the Glock. A friend of mine said he would loan me his Glock 17 for range shooting while he is overseas. I know nothing about this gun. Anyone have the 411 on it?

I'm going on vacation tomorrow but when I get back, I'm going to schedule my CHL class. Can't wait!

As others said, the Glock is about as simple to operate as it gets. To fire it, pull the trigger. To have it not fire, don't. The trigger pull is in between a single-action and a double-action (Glocks are neither; they're striker-fired, no hammer) in length and fairly light.

The only complaints I have that keep me from loving the Glock is the grip angle doesn't agree with me (personal preference) and the strip down procedure. To strip the firearm, you have to pull the trigger first. Be very careful when cleaning a Glock! Check that chamber well and make sure there is no magazine in it.

For range shooting, especially for someone with limited experience, I prefer to bring a full-size handgun like the G17 (or for me, a Sig P220 or P226). It's easier to score hits with, which is a confidence booster, and the perceived recoil is always lower between guns of the same caliber.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    . . . and the strip down procedure. To strip the firearm, you have to pull the trigger first. Be very careful when cleaning a Glock! Check that chamber well and make sure there is no magazine in it. .

I've heard people say this, but I don't know a gun that you WOULDN'T check the chamber before stripping it. It is a fairly simply gun to strip otherwise. I'd say my beretta 92 is a tad easier, though it is a LOT easier than stripping a Ruger.

I've got a G19 (compact), and i shot a 26(sub-compact) today. I was really supprised at how accurate it was. It has a molded pinky extender (I don't know the brand, but I know it was a +2 extender).

I was able to get a 4"-5" group at 15 yards, and I wasn't firing too slow either. Not as good as my 19, but good enough.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've heard people say this, but I don't know a gun that you WOULDN'T check the chamber before stripping it. It is a fairly simply gun to strip otherwise. I'd say my beretta 92 is a tad easier, though it is a LOT easier than stripping a Ruger.

This is true. You should always check the chamber before stripping for cleaning. However, when you strip a gun like a Sig (what I'm most familiar with), if you forget a round in the chamber you will not put a hole in anything since pulling the trigger isn't part of the strip procedure.

On most pistols, pulling the trigger isn't needed to strip the pistol so if you do have a retard moment, nobody should get hurt. I've read accounts of experienced shooters missing the fact that they have a round chambered. One guy even put a .45 through his hand and wrist stripping his Glock, and he apparently is a very avid shooter.

I'm not saying it's a deal-breaker by any means. Just something to be cognizant of at all times.

Other than the grip angle, I really have a lot of respect for Glocks. I can shoot them very accurately, it's just that pulling down against the natural angle my wrists want to be at isn't comfortable.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Other than the grip angle, I really have a lot of respect for Glocks. I can shoot them very accurately, it's just that pulling down against the natural angle my wrists want to be at isn't comfortable.
    That is the same reason I don't like Glocks, They shoot great but in a moment of extreme stress I think I would shoot high and miss my target or get shot trying to bring the angle back down to level the sights back out. I think I could learn the grip angle and be natural with it But it would take a lot of practice.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    That is the same reason I don't like Glocks, They shoot great but in a moment of extreme stress I think I would shoot high and miss my target or get shot trying to bring the angle back down to level the sights back out. I think I could learn the grip angle and be natural with it But it would take a lot of practice.

Isn't freedom a great thing.

We can get whatever gun we like, and all have our own reasons. It is your money and your life. Do your own research and get what you want. Don't let us internet warriors discourage you.

Top Bottom