• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Well, the day I was waiting for arrived last Saturday. I had my second trip of range shooting! What a beautiful day it was in Houston...low 70's, low humidity, the aroma of magnolia blooms wafting about. NOT!

I shot five different pistols and by the end of my range time, I was exhausted. Here are the guns I shot:

(1) Ruger MkIII semi-auto, .22LR

(2) Springfield Armory XDM semi-auto, 9mm

(3) Smith & Wesson Mdl 10 revolver, .38Spl

(4) Ruger GP100 revolver, .357mag/.38Spl

(5) Sig Sauer P229 semi-auto, .40S&W

When I saw the S&W revolver I thought I would love it but it wasn't as comfortable as I thought it would be. The grip wasn't a comfortable fit for me. I really enjoyed the XDM, especially as single-action. If I could get that gun in a more compact size, I think I'd get it today. Also liked the Ruger with .38pl. I wasn't too fond of the Sig Sauer but not dissing that maker, I think it was the size or could have been that I was tired by that time.

I had a great trainer and had two hours of instruction, not only gun instruction but safety, care of the gun, gun range etiquette, even saw the proper way to spit at the gun range...although Phoebe Ann would never do that. :p A good instructor makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks to this board for all the information you have given me that built a foundation for my trip on Saturday. I know it won't be my last. I can't wait to buy my first gun! When I do, my fellow gun freaks will be the first to know!

Phoebe Ann
    Lynx Defense

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Way to go, Phoebe! As for the XDM 9mm, take a look at the entire XD line of pistols on the Springfield website for various sizes. ;)

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Sounds like a full day. Once you settle on "your" gun and get some extended range time with one platform and system, it will get even better. FWIW, the XDM is offered in a Sub compact version. If you've got very small hands, that could work for you. larger gun won't work. Or, you might look at the XD. A few less bells and whistles, but less money too.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sounds like a full day. Once you settle on "your" gun and get some extended range time with one platform and system, it will get even better. FWIW, the XDM is offered in a Sub compact version. If you've got very small hands, that could work for you. larger gun won't work. Or, you might look at the XD. A few less bells and whistles, but less money too.

Is the XDM offered in a sub-compact, or just the XD??

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    :banghead:

Try as I may, I cannot find anything other than the full-sized XDm catalogued anywhere, including on the SA website. All I ran across in my web search was a bunch of guys on the XD forums wondering if a smaller version would ever come out.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    There is no sub-compact XDm, it is only offered in one size and two calibers right now. Having shot both, there is very little in the way of differences, the XD series will perform just as well as the XDm at a lower price and with many more options.

Top Bottom