• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    CSM sentenced for wearing/claiming fake medals. What do you think of his penalty?

Camp Red Cloud, South Korea

SGM_Crump.jpg

Uploaded 1 Image

So I was perusing Army Times and saw this little Gem:

Ex-Walter Reed CSM sentenced to 6 months | Army Times | armytimes.com

From the article:

Some of the offenses admitted by Crump include wearing six awards and decorations from March to December of 2009, including the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with Arrowhead device, which indicates — contrary to military records — that he made a combat jump into Grenada. He admitted he wore a U.S. Navy Achievement Medal without authority since 2006 and, on three occasions, two or three unauthorized overseas service bars.

AND

Update: Ex-Warrior Training Center boss wore unearned Ranger, Sapper tabs

bilde

Lt. Col. Gerald H. Green III was fired Oct. 9 from his role as head of the Warrior Training Center at Fort Benning, Georgia. (Courtesy photo)

Related Links

A lieutenant colonel relieved of his post as head of the Warrior Training Center at Fort Benning, Georgia, was not authorized to wear the Ranger and Sapper tabs displayed on his uniform, base officials said Thursday.
    Lt. Col. Gerald H. Green III, a member of the National Guard in active service with the WTC, was removed from command Oct. 9 and is under investigation, the base said in an Oct. 24 news release.
    Members of the unit identified “concern about the Ranger tab, specifically,” Benning’s chief spokesman, Gary Jones, said Thursday — a concern brought to leadership that led to the investigation.
    “Due to the findings of the preliminary investigation we had ... there was enough evidence of misconduct to warrant Maj. Gen. [Scott] Miller relieving him from command as we continue further investigation of misconduct,” Col. Patrick Donahoe, chief of staff for the Benning-based Maneuver Center of Excellence, said later Thursday. Miller is MCoE’s commanding general and would have court-martial and disciplinary authority in the case should the investigation warrant such measures, Donahoe said.
    Neither Donahoe nor Jones would comment on the scope of the ongoing investigation, but questions have been raised about other decorations Green is shown wearing in his official photograph, which was obtained by Army Times from a person familiar with the case.
    While Green is not authorized to wear the Ranger or Sapper tabs, Donahoe said, “right now, we’re trying to determine what he is authorized to wear.”
    “We as a command take any allegation against any soldier, but against a commander specifically, seriously, and investigate it fully,” Donahoe said.
    A request by Army Times for publicly releasable portions of Green’s records, including his official photo, was denied by a National Guard Bureau spokesman, who cited the ongoing investigation.
    Attempts to contact Green were unsuccessful. He is still at Benning “performing administrative duties” unrelated to his WTC post, Jones said Thursday.
    The WTC offers pre-Ranger and other training primarily for Army National Guard soldiers. Thomas Siter, who served as deputy commander under Green, has taken over the unit until the Guard selects a new leader, according to the Oct. 24 release.
    Green took command of the unit July 9. A news release announcing his arrival identified him as a Ranger- and Sapper-tabbed engineering officer with three war-zone deployments and a Bronze Star Medal, among other decorations.

Capitol Armory ad

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    As a Veteran, I never understood why you would want to wear what you didn't earn. Some folks just can't be bothered by that whole honor and integrity thing, I guess.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Damn. A Lt. Col. This shit knows no bounds.

That's gotta be a bitch to be sitting at your desk and have your supervisor bust in with a camera, order you to stand still, then point the camera at your ribbons and badges. At least that's how we would have done it in the AF.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    As a Veteran, I never understood why you would want to wear what you didn't earn. Some folks just can't be bothered by that whole honor and integrity thing, I guess.

Me, too. They've already got the uniform and that's all most people care about anyway.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ego thing?

Psychological thing?

I don't know. I never understood trying to claim credit for something you aren't and for things you didn't do.

Also, all of us who were in, met some other guy with more stripes and rockers and a chest full of earned ribbons.

I had a SFC get mad at me during an inspection for NOT wearing some award I was authorized to wear.

I wouldn't dream of wearing one I didn't earn.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Ferfuckingcrissakes, just how stupid to you have to be to have an official photo taken wearing unearned fruit salad??

If this is the Army of today, we're in a world of shit...

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Damn. A Lt. Col. This shit knows no bounds.

That's gotta be a bitch to be sitting at your desk and have your supervisor bust in with a camera, order you to stand still, then point the camera at your ribbons and badges. At least that's how we would have done it in the AF.

You know things have gotten bad when you read comments like how the AF would have squared that shit away instead of just letting it happen.

Note to self: AF now more hard core than Army warrior training center.

Never understood the fascination with the ribbons anyway. Once you've got a few, what's the big deal unless you've got one of the big ones?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You know things have gotten bad when you read comments like how the AF would have squared that shit away instead of just letting it happen.

Note to self: AF now more hard core than Army warrior training center.

LOL. Our supervisor's OCD about uniforms didn't end at BMT. What really sucked was having to show up for work in the Fire Dept in our blues for inspections, only to end up having to respond to a call with our freshly perfected blues underneath our baked potato suits. All of that for uniforms we wore otherwise about once a year.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    This has been going on since at least Vietnam. Check the book Stolen Valor by Burkett (I think his name is). People like Dan Rather, Brian what's his name, the sheriff in Rambo, several others including one who was supposed to be the most decorated soldier from Vietnam.

Should be sentenced to 5 years, busted to E1 and dishonorable discharge.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    PX ranger...and a cowards thief.

Silly douche bag. Medals are for Honor, not picking up a skank at the local discount strip bar.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Part of the problem is the HIGH % of medals that, while you wear it and are auth to do so, you never spent a day in ________________ fill in blank.

Especially in the Sr NCO and Officer corp. I personally know of an officer with a PH, BS, SS, he never spent a day in combat or even in the field. Soon as he got to Vietnam, his Daddy joined u and was in Vietnam in about 60 days, son left the day after daddy got there.

I did not know him back then but met in in the 80's and he thought I was some kind of hero always asking me about combat n stuff (I was just a Pfc), but he was a 1st Lt in Vietnam. I stopped by his office to go to lunch with him one day and here is the PH, BS, SS being displayed on his bookcase...WOW I thought he was a hero.

Lunch turned into and all afternoon Margaritas and the more he drank the looser his lips became, finally in near tears he confess to me how he got them (he was the XO and buddied up to a clerk who used someone paperwork to get him the medals) , how his daddy got him out of Vietnam (daddy was a MD).

We were no longer friends, but on his facebook page he is a hero and shows his falsely gotten medals...I wish I could say this was rare, but over the years in the Army I came across a lot of this. The guy out in the bush gets less than half the combat medals awarded...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    This is pretty interesting, partly because it addresses our confusion over stolen valor, and partly (for me, at least) because this is the second time today I read this stanza from Shakespeare, even though today is the first time I've read it (in R. Lee Ermey's new book):

Some men fight and return; some stay home and say they went. Military writer and Vietnam vet Dan Cragg has written that phonies claiming combat may have something to do with the feeling of failing an important test of manhood. He pointed to a stanza spoken by King Henry V, on the eve of the Battle of Agincourt, in Shakespeare's famous play:
    And gentlemen in England now a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Cragg served two tours in Vietnam without ever being shot at or firing a shot. "I can relate to those 'gentlemen in England now a-bed.'"
    Cragg said, "when the battles at the Ia Drang were raging I was back in Saigon on General Westmoreland's staff. I didn't know then how lucky I was!" Cragg actually served in the military in Vietnam and felt left out because he wasn't in the thick of combat. Others who were never anywhere near a battlefield may feel that regret even more intensely and make up stories to compensate.

Part I - Rambo and the Bogus War Heroes

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I used to work with a guy who was a Viet Nam wannabe. When not working he would dress in Viet Nam era fatigues and talk about having been there. We all knew he was full of it because he was at least 10 years too young but that didn't stop people from egging him on to describe his experiences.

Top Bottom