Military Camp

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Upgraded to a better tripod.
    Tripods are a weakness with me. I only have 10. Each has a purpose from heavy duty studio to a little Leica table top tripod.

My favorite is a Reis model C from about 1935 or so. Dad paid $25 for it. It's okay to about a 200mm lens. Reis still makes tripods; It's wooden easy to set up and adjust. I also have a wooden Burlbach which is good for view cameras. One carbon fiber Gitzo and the rest are aluminium.

I have a Tiltall tripod that has a slightly bent leg from momma rhino leaning on it to tell me it was time to leave. I was photographing her 3 day old calf, up close and personal inside the room where she gave birth at the zoo. The only thing between me and her was the tripod.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Being I couldn't leave the property today I spent time reading about things I didn't know about. Rangefinder cameras are interesting. Not saying they are needed but I thought the method was interesting. I'm sure back in the day It was a very logical idea. I like it.

Did some reading about large format.

Got to thinking about Z mount lenses. I think I'm good with what I have, as Army 1911 pointed out. I might be giving myself a headache anyway because the z50 doesn't have built in stabilization. So using full frame lenses would leave me with no stabilization other than outside mechanical. So in time I'll work my way up to a full frame.

I'm still glad I started with the z50. They really did make it for entry level while still offering a lot of features. I'm sure I'll be holed up tomorrow. I'll work on my dads old photos.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Rangefinder cameras are interesting.
    The fastest manual focusing can be done with rangefinders. I used to love 'em. Then I had a wedding where my Rapid Omega took a hit and the rangefinder focus and the lens focus were no longer anywhere close to each other. I salvaged the shoot but my love of rangefinders took a big hit.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Rangefinder cameras came in all qualities from a zenit to Lieca. In 1976 about 1 month before the Republican convention in Kansas City, my entire Nikon, except for the Nikon F system (1963 model) was stolen. Every thing but my Leica CL with a 35mm Nikon lens on it. What to do? I had credentials to shoot the convention and a building pass that would let me access to anywhere anytime. So I bought a used Leica M2, 21mm Superangulon, 28mm Elmarit 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron and a 20mm telyt with Visoflex which turns the rangefinder M series into a SLR for lenses over 200mm. I borrowed from Leica their demo 560mm Telyt and went to the convention. I was free-lancing for the BBC in England. It was a great system for photojournalism and the Leica M5 was what the white house photographer used in the Ford Administration because they are quiet. No mirror slap..

Those conventions have a lot of perks. Nikon, Leica, Canon, Hasselblad, Olympus, Minolta and Kodak were all there to help us shooters. Kodak would process you film free and get you a contact sheet in an hour or so. The camera makers had repairmen there for minor fixes and loaner gear. My Leica CL got the top smashed by a Yippie protester and Leica took it, fixed it for free and mailed it back to. me. Their head repairman, Ulrich Fuchs, really took care of me.

FYI Leica still makers rangefinder M series digital cameras. Bring bucks, lots of bucks.

@Sam7sf
    As for stabilization, remember that most AF-S lenses have it in the lens. You'd need an FTZ adapter but it's available.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The fastest manual focusing can be done with rangefinders. I used to love 'em. Then I had a wedding where my Rapid Omega took a hit and the rangefinder focus and the lens focus were no longer anywhere close to each other. I salvaged the shoot but my love of rangefinders took a big hit.
    I remember selling those. With that pull-push film advance it was easy to jam the advance mechanism. Mamiya had a rangefinder so did Linhoff.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Rangefinder cameras came in all qualities from a zenit to Lieca. In 1976 about 1 month before the Republican convention in Kansas City, my entire Nikon, except for the Nikon F system (1963 model) was stolen. Every thing but my Leica CL with a 35mm Nikon lens on it. What to do? I had credentials to shoot the convention and a building pass that would let me access to anywhere anytime. So I bought a used Leica M2, 21mm Superangulon, 28mm Elmarit 50mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron and a 20mm telyt with Visoflex which turns the rangefinder M series into a SLR for lenses over 200mm. I borrowed from Leica their demo 560mm Telyt and went to the convention. I was free-lancing for the BBC in England. It was a great system for photojournalism and the Leica M5 was what the white house photographer used in the Ford Administration because they are quiet. No mirror slap..

Those conventions have a lot of perks. Nikon, Leica, Canon, Hasselblad, Olympus, Minolta and Kodak were all there to help us shooters. Kodak would process you film free and get you a contact sheet in an hour or so. The camera makers had repairmen there for minor fixes and loaner gear. My Leica CL got the top smashed by a Yippie protester and Leica took it, fixed it for free and mailed it back to. me. Their head repairman, Ulrich Fuchs, really took care of me.

FYI Leica still makers rangefinder M series digital cameras. Bring bucks, lots of bucks.

@Sam7sf
    As for stabilization, remember that most AF-S lenses have it in the lens. You'd need an FTZ adapter but it's available.
    lol Yeah I was looking at the price tags. For a fast focus I can see why it would be awesome.

That's right...Looks like I will call you when I can for that adapter.

Top Bottom