• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    What do I need to watch out for as far as problems with this pistol? I've fired about 7 magazines of ammo through it so far without any issues. Are there any problem areas I need to watch out for? Seems to be an excellent pistol
    Guns International

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I bought my father the same thing but in Commander size not too long ago and his has been great. He's shot WWB, Gold Dots and SWC reloads through it without any problems. It's now his main carry gun.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds good. I've been shooting Sellier & Bellot through mine without any problems either. I even got brave enough to disassemble it for cleaning the other day, and it actually not that bad to take apart. Just a little more difficult to disassemble to the point its easy to clean than my Glock. I've always liked the Colt 1911 series pistols and I finally broke down a few weeks ago and bought one online from gungenie.com and it arrived the next day at my local FFL. I was amazed how accurate it is right out of the box. I just need to find more time to go to the range.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    going to be picking up a 1911 myself in a week or so, one of the best combat pistols in history imho...

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The only thing I would recommend is to learn to detail strip it. While you don't have to do more than field strip it to clean it. It is good to detail it every 2-3 k rounds.

Other than that, maybe Wilson or Novak mags for it.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    The only thing I would recommend is to learn to detail strip it. While you don't have to do more than field strip it to clean it. It is good to detail it every 2-3 k rounds.

Other than that, maybe Wilson or Novak mags for it.

I'm going to be learning that during this coming weekend's guard drill. My unit armorer told me to bring my Colt with me and he'd go through and show me how to completely strip it down and re-assemble it.

I've been using Triple K magazines for mine, which seem to work fine. They're $12 at Cabelas so I've been buying them. So far I've got 7 mags for it.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The military got away from it supposedly because of a number opf reasons, most prominant was the availability of 9mm ammo in theatre, as it is a NATO round it is readily available. The other reason is more managable recoil, in the early to mid 80s there were starting to be more women in the military (note, I am not saying a woman can not shoot a 1911, just stating one of the reasons given for the dropping of the .45), and then there is the ammunition capacity....

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    The military got away from it supposedly because of a number opf reasons, most prominant was the availability of 9mm ammo in theatre, as it is a NATO round it is readily available. The other reason is more managable recoil, in the early to mid 80s there were starting to be more women in the military (note, I am not saying a woman can not shoot a 1911, just stating one of the reasons given for the dropping of the .45), and then there is the ammunition capacity....

And what they have now is a round that instead of shooting someone once and they drop you have to empty a whole magazine on them. Not much help there. I'd take the .45acp any day over the 9mm that we carry now. The berretta isn't a bad gun, I just don't think the 9mm is great for stopping power.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I never really liked the Beretta when I was in the Army. I disliked it enough that I requested to carry my own 1911.

Wow, they let you carry your own weapon? They wouldn't even think of that now. I asked to do that when we deployed to Iraq in 2004, and I was told not only no but He** no.

I don't care for the Beretta myself, but there are people that do like it, I just don't care for it in 9mm caliber.

kawi jm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    I prefer the Colt 1911 to any handgun I have ever shot. With that being said the 92F is a good range mule. Ammo is WAY cheaper.

John

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I prefer the Colt 1911 to any handgun I have ever shot. With that being said the 92F is a good range mule. Ammo is WAY cheaper.

John

9mm ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than .45ACP, but I love the Colt 1911 so I force myself to buy ammo all the time, until I can afford to get my reloading equipment, and a place to put it in my shop.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Wow, they let you carry your own weapon? They wouldn't even think of that now. I asked to do that when we deployed to Iraq in 2004, and I was told not only no but He** no.

I don't care for the Beretta myself, but there are people that do like it, I just don't care for it in 9mm caliber.

Yeah, this was in the late '80s and early 90's. I was a medic and I guess they really didn't care. Of course, I had to qualify with it and had no problems there.

BTW, to the OP.... no pics, no gun!;)

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    BTW, to the OP.... no pics, no gun!;)

Agreed..........

gunney.jpg

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I've had a series 80 Colt 1911A1 since the 1980's and have put thousands of rounds through it. The only problem I ever had was the time the slide stop bump broke off, it looked cool to drop the slide after checking that it was not loaded but after doing it many times it caused the only breakdown I ever had with it. The only thing that I would do to make it better is a trigger job, I now have a systema that has a butter smooth trigger pull and I shoot it better then the Colt. It has never been detail stripped and to this day I don't see any reason to break it down into that many pieces. Enjoy your new toy, it should last longer then you even with lots of use.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom