• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Went to the Pasadena show this morning and bought a little Walther P-22.

I'll take it plinking tomorrow at the range, but I bought it specifically to put a silencer on it.

Capitol Armory ad

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    P22_01a.jpg

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I found my longer barrel P22 was quite accurate. I could routinely hit clay pigeons with it at 50 yrds. The key I found was try different ammo till you found what it liked and then keep the barrel tight. Mine tended to loosen during shooting.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    22 cans

Take a look at this fellow's site http://www.silencerresearch.com/ . He does not advertise or sell anything besides gel to keep the can quite and seems fair.

I have a Gemtech Outback on a p22. It is only ammo sensitive with subsonic ammo which gives little gain. I run Aquilla Standard velocity and any other standard velocity should work fine. The subsonic rounds will work but you loose some reliability and supersonic speeds are not normal out of a 22 pistol anyway.

As much as I love the Gemtech I am about to order another 22 can and that will be a SWR just need to make up my mind on which. The Gemtech is less money and possibly better value.

Have you purchased an NFA item before? A 22 can is the perfect way to start.

regards,
    chris

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    silly me

Heck, I missed that you went to the Pasadena show and thus close to me. Shoot me a PM and I will let you try my Gemtech Outback II and bring another can or two along.

regards,
    Chris

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    From what I hear, this guy is great for purchasing NFA stuff since he helps with all of the Form 4 paperwork:

http://www.major-malfunction.com/

Not to mention his prices seem to be pretty good. Eventually I plan on suppressing something in .22lr, my P220 in 45acp, and a P9S in 9mm and out of all the retailers I've seen I've pretty much made up my mind on going through that guy.

I'm curious to see how this P22 turns out for you. I have read tons of horror stories, seen pics of the slide actually cracking in half, etc etc to the point where I've pretty much given up on buying a P22. Though then I see threads by some people on multiple forums that have no problems with them at all so I'm wondering if it really isn't as big a deal as some have made it out to be.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Heck, I missed that you went to the Pasadena show and thus close to me. Shoot me a PM and I will let you try my Gemtech Outback II and bring another can or two along.

regards,
    Chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. I'm actually from NW Houston, it was a 100-mile round trip for us to go to Pasadena. I work in the Galleria area though, and shoot at Top Gun on lunch breaks sometimes, if that's convenient.

I haven't ever had an NFA piece before, I'm going to set up a trust to buy items through. I'm getting the .22 can so I can also put it on my GSG-5 when it comes in.

- Todd

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Top Gun is close

I live near the Galleria and will be happy to meet you at top gun one evening after work. Lunch is a possibility but not as easy to plan.

Thursday night is an IDPA match if you want to meet then. Tomorrow is Greg Garrets class at TopGun and worth the trip but I have daddy stuff scheduled.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/ has super prices but they are out of state. If they have the can in their possesion is will be 3-4 weeks till it arrives at your local NFA dealer. Your paperwork can't start till your local dealer has it in his possesion which then adds another 4-5 weeks. NFA items going out of state are not like shipping a pistol which goes Fed-Ex with only a fax verification between dealers. Each step of an NFA transaction has to go through the NFA wait. Even a class 3 SOT has to wait for approval before recieving his inventory from the manufacturer.

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    For you top gun shooters: I have heard that they don't allow anything but copper enclosed bullets at this range. Do they allow reloads, and if so, do you have to prove to them that you are using completely enclosed bullets.
    I shoot Berry bullets and they are completely enclosed. Also, are they sticklers about if the brass hits the floor it belongs to them?

I work in Bellaire and would like to shoot there, but I'm strickly a reload man as I have way too many to feed to shoot factory bullets and prices.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    Ducksps - I didn't realize you were with Talon Arms, I've been speaking with Rob about a can for this P22. Thanks for your input and offer to shoot!

Duman - They used to be real hard-nosed about what you shot there, but my last few trips over they just ask if you have ammo or need to buy some. Check their website though, I'm not sure of the exact rule on it. I just shoot whatever boxed ammo I bring, or Collins Catridge reloads. About the brass, I don't think they would care if you picked up your own. Alot of times there might already be a ton of brass on the floor though, you might sweep it out of the way first, but I imagine you can collect your brass. Basically, they're pretty relaxed there about that stuff.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Excellent progress Madhouse. :cool: Man, I'm really starting to want one of these now. I've always loved the P99/SW99 lineup. So have you decided on a can yet?

I'm also curious how you like your Gsg-5? I've heard lots of HK guys complain, since the guns do appear to be sort of cheaply made. Though some of those guys will complain unless it was a gun forged in perfection by God himself and presented to you by Jesus on bended knee with angels singing in the background. :rolleyes: Personally, that's no big deal to me as long as it functions and is relatively reliable. I just think it would be sweet to have an mp5 in .22lr for only ~$500. I've handled a few at the Saxet gun show, and I liked it.

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    I haven't picked a can out yet, seems the Gemtech is highest on more folks' lists. Although it also seems most of them have roughly the same db reduction rating.

I don't have my GSG-5 yet, I'm on a waiting list at Texas Tactical. For $499, I'm not expecting a MP5. :D

Top Bottom