• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuvThmGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Basicly they all have their own rules and I always leave with my brass and sometimes a little more if it gets in my way. But I dont haul it off in 5 gallon containers. Gibson's in mesquite is great for this.

LuvThmGuns.
    DK Firearms

onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    Well, I've been to a couple of ranges since posting this, and haven't had any issues yet. At the Bass Pro in Grapevine, I had no problem collecting enough shells to cover what I used, and at target master in Garland, I sent about 200-250 downrange, ended up with a little over 300 when I got home.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    We have to pick up our brass after we shoot.If there is extra brass no one cares if we take it as the range rules state that if you do not pick up your brass then you lose it.Our rangemaster comes by after we shoot and if we did not clean up we get fined.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I had an RO at American Shooting Center in Houston explain to me that the sign saying not to pick up anyone's brass but your own was for liability reasons, i.e., it offers a level of legal protection from some jackwad suing them for injury or damages if something were to go wrong with a reload where used brass from the range was involved. Not sure if he was just spouting B.S. or not, but it kinda sounds like it. :D

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    A 5 gallon bucket of brass goes for about 130.00 now. Most ranges are ok with you picking up your own{ I will not go to a range that does not allow me to pick up my brass} but when you start hauling it out by the bucket load, you are indeed stealing from the range.
    I always ask if someone next to me is shooting .308 if they reload, if not and they tell me I can have their brass, it is cool. If it is just sitting on the ground, it belongs to the range.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    At indoor ranges I find it awkward to pick up brass casue most of mine doesn't stay in my booth. It bounces around an often ends up in front of the fireing line. If I start reloading, I may find it less awkward to pick up though. And yea they have the sign but when the range officers come by to sweep, they always ask if we are reloading.

carlo1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    At our range everyone picks up their own brass. If they want to keep it for reloading great if they don't and it's reloadable it gets tossed in a bucket. Never seen that bucket get full once. All the .22 and aluminum stuff goes into another scrap bucket.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I shoot at an outdoor range, usually go during the week and am alone most of the time. I see very few other shooters.
    There are no posted rules about brass collection - in fact there are few rules at all posted. (There is a no rapid fire rule, however the owner told me if no one is around its OK on selected lanes.)
    I figure once someone leaves the range and drives away, they are not interested in their brass and have abandoned it. When I am collecting up my brass and there is abandoned brass on the firing line, I figure its fair game.

On a side note, I was working up in DFW and went to an indoor range with a friend of mine to shoot his new XD .40. The only sign I remember seeing pertaining to brass was a request to clean up after ourselves. (they provide a broom and buckets).
    My friend had no interest in his once fired winchester brass and told me I could have it. When the RO saw me collecting up our brass and putting it in my bag he tapped on the window and indicated that they would be happy to clean up after us.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I shoot at DFW Gun Range; they just have a sign telling you to clean up afterwards. I honestly, don't give a crap about my brass because I don't reload and picking it up to 'eventually' fill a 5 gal bucket is just not worth my time. Nine times out of ten, the guys next to me ask me for it, if not it gets swept up in the range's bucket.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Man, I love the range I go to - it's a really crappy range - and that's what I like about it. I talked to the owner (super nice guy) and he said to pick up as much brass as I want, less work for him and his wife. Rarely is anyone else out there when I go to shoot, so picking up brass from all over the range is safe to do. Just today I came home with 1.5 gallons of .223 and pistol brass!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We fill about two 5 gallon buckets a night in brass at Red's. Sometimes we will snag the rare stuff like FN 5.7 for some customers that reload it. Usually when I sweep the range I look for people using their own ammo and ask if they are chasing their brass. Usually a few "extras" get sent their way if someone happens to be shooting next to them in the same caliber.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Alan - do yall sell that brass?

I am always on the lookout for .223 and American brass-cased 7.62 X 39mm.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alan - do yall sell that brass?

I am always on the lookout for .223 and American brass-cased 7.62 X 39mm.

I see the brass cased 7.62 every so often. It stands out since I get so used to seeing the Wolf steel case stuff. I'll try to snag you some.

We sell it to someone, just not sure who.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I've only been to my local range a few times, where I live we can go pretty much anywhere up in the hills and shoot as long as we check the area to make sure know one is around and have a good backstop.

One question though, with all the recycling problems with cat converters and such, how hard is it to turn brass casings into a recycling center? Do they give anyone here problems? I don't want to pickup a bunch of brass at my local range and then be stuck with it.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We fill about two 5 gallon buckets a night in brass at Red's. Sometimes we will snag the rare stuff like FN 5.7 for some customers that reload it. Usually when I sweep the range I look for people using their own ammo and ask if they are chasing their brass. Usually a few "extras" get sent their way if someone happens to be shooting next to them in the same caliber.

We sell it to someone, just not sure who.

If you happen to pick up some .357mag brass (reloadable, of course), you can feel free to sell it to me. I'll pay better than scrap price plus shipping.

On The Border

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What kind of prices are people getting for recycling brass right now?

It depends on the scrap dealer, but lately I've seen prices ranging from $1.25 to $1.85 a pound for scrap brass. You usualy have to call around to get the best price and it changes almost daily with the market.

Some dealers won't take cases with primers still in them, others want them smashed flat, and some will take them as is.

edited to include: If you remove the primers, take them along, they're brass too! Every little bit helps.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    It depends on the scrap dealer, but lately I've seen prices ranging from $1.25 to $1.85 a pound for scrap brass. You usualy have to call around to get the best price and it changes almost daily with the market.

Some dealers won't take cases with primers still in them, others want them smashed flat, and some will take them as is.

edited to include: If you remove the primers, take them along, they're brass too! Every little bit helps.

Thanks for the info. I may start reloading my .40s&w and .45acp pretty soon so I'm keeping those casings, but the other casings I find at the ranges I'll turn in for cash for more reloading supplies.

Top Bottom