• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    In anticipation of starting to reload my own ammo, I was thinking about when I go to the range and picking up my own. Then I thought, why not get a few extra off the floor.

My wife pointed out that at the last range I went to, there was a sign which said something to the effect of "only pick up your own shells, any more and you're stealing". Is this normal? Do the ranges sell the shells back to someone so I would be stealing from them?

I've only been to a few different ranges, and this is the first one to have a rule like that, as far as I know, I could have just missed it before...

What are your guys/gals thoughts?
    DK Firearms

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Just the value of a 5 gallon bucket of mixed brass for scrap is around $100.00. Look at they smart ones who pick it up, sort it, polish it & resell it and your looking at alot more.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been to maybe a dozen ranges and never saw a sign like that. I think it's rather rude. It's nice that they make extra money off the casings but putting too many restrictions will drive shooters away. The worst one I've seen around here is a range that will not let you shoot aluminum cased ammo. I never went back there again.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It's possible that they had issues in the past with people picking up someone elses casings before they got the chance to pick them up themselves. Or they could just be pricks. Could go either way.:rolleyes:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Could be a saftey issue as they do not want people crawling around in front of the firing line then standing up in front of a shooter.

Best thing I ever did in all of my years shooting was join a private gun club. The only thing better would be your own land. My gun club has trash cans full of range brass for the local 4-H. And I've never even with the high price of brass seen it getting ripped off.

onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    I 'spose I could just ask them to elaborate on it next time I'm there. Or call on the phone, kind of get a feel of how strict they are on that rule.

It's no big deal really, I just didn't think it would be that big of a deal if I go in with 50 rounds and leave with maybe 75 shells. Either way, I'll be at least picking up my own and saving them.

Going to start building my workbench this weekend.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    "only pick up your own shells, any more and you're stealing"

Most of the ranges in the Dallas area that I visit have similar policies. They make money sorting them selling "once-fired brass" at some discount vs new. Looking at their prices, it's obviously a profitable venture, assuming they sell everything they collect.

It is impossible for them to enforce those rules with any consistency, and I've yet to see a range officer so much as question someone picking up brass. My strategy is to just be inconspicuous and gather what's around that could ostensibly be mine.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I only pick up my own brass if I do not know the policy. At the (private) range I go to, you can pick up as much as you want and there is rarely anyone out there at the same time as me. Makes it easy and safe to pick pretty much all of it up. Also, I go to the local Bass Pro Shop and buy it by the pound ($2.50-ish IIRC), little more expensive - but very high quality and VERY clean, don't even put it in the tumbler.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    One of the local outdoor ranges at which I have shot regularly for the past 20+ years has no objections to shooters picking up their own cases. They do not hassle you about whether you picked up exactly the number you fired. This range has a contract with a group who pays a fee for the right to salvage the brass and sell it. The only time I ever saw them raise an objection was for a person who showed up with a box and was gathering huge piles of cases. He was bragging to me (before they ran him off) that he came out regularly to pick up brass and sell it. I told him to let my brass alone as I planned to use it for personal reloading.

73Driver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    North of Houston
    Our local range has no posted restrictions prohibiting the picking up of brass. However, to maintain a low profile and yet leave with a few extra casings, I ask the person in the lane next to me if they reload and if they don't may I pick up their brass.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Not to be a smart-ass or anything, but doesn't it stand to reason that taking brass (or anything, for that matter) that isn't yours constitutes stealing; sign or no sign?

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Not to be a smart-ass or anything, but doesn't it stand to reason that taking brass (or anything, for that matter) that isn't yours constitutes stealing; sign or no sign?

Since most people at the range just leave their brass on the firing line, it's refuse that the range must clean up regularly. Generally, it's fair game once it's been left behind.

Range policies might say that any stray brass on the range that's not yours is range property. The true intent of this policy on most ranges seems to be more to discourage people from collecting every loose casing on the range than to strictly enforce a "if you didn't bring it and it's on the range, it's our brass" policy.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

I'm kind of in your camp. I always pick what I can of mine up. I also look at shells that look different and confirm if they're mine or not. If not, I drop them. Likewise, I'd be pissed if I was shooting, and another shooter started picking up my brass.

I think it would be an unwritten policy that doesn't need a sign, but they may have a reason, and a customer base, that makes it necessary. If it's yours, pick it up if you want it. If it's not, leave it if you don't have express permission to take it. What's not picked up is the range's to clean up. If they want to give it to you, great, but ask first.

Seems pretty basic and what should be a common courtesy.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    Which is precisely why I ask before I pick anything up (other than my own stuff) if I don't see a sign. I was witness to a royal arse chewing once when a guy at a private range that I was a guest at starting brass grabbing and the RO pounced on him. (It probably wouldn't have been quite as bad if the guy hadn't have gotten a little lippy with the RO).

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    Gibson's Outpost in Mesquite let's you pick up brass. Lots of brass has been laying around for a while.

Garland Public said you can only pick up your brass. They sell it in the office.

Carter Country is pretty strict on spent brass. I don't think you can pick up your own brass. So I don't shoot there anymore.

For semi-auto, it's hard to keep track of your brass. So I just grab an "equal" amount off the ground. I may get a brass catcher as the cheaper gun ranges don't cover the lane.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Most of the ranges I visit have a similar sign. I don't think it's strictly enforced. I don't reload, so anyone is welcome to my brass.

I don't know how many times you can reload a cartridge, but I would wonder how many times a case had been used if I was picking them up indiscriminately. I guess you can probably tell by looking at them?

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Carter Country is pretty strict on spent brass. I don't think you can pick up your own brass. So I don't shoot there anymore. ... I may get a brass catcher as the cheaper gun ranges don't cover the lane.

Are you speaking about a Carter Country in Forney or the Carter's Country in Houston? The one in Houston DOES allow you to pick up your own brass. Here is the brass catcher I use:

http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=38

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    The las couple of times that I have been to the range it looked as if a vacuum cleaner had been there, I used to find lots of range brass, most of the shooters that shoot 9mm and 40 didn't bother to pick up their brass, especially the Glock shooters as most of them don't reload. Possibly with the price of ammo many are not shooting as much.

TXgolfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Humble,TX
    I shoot @ Carter's in Spring and i leave with MY brass every time. I think i shoot better when i use my own stuff anyway. It expands to your barrel right?

Top Bottom