• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Pickup Gun Rack

When I was a teenager, and that was quite some time ago, every pickup had a gun rack, and every gun rack had either a 30-30, 30-06, or pump shotgun on it.

Suddenly I realized that I never see a gun rack any more.

I was not carrying one due to the massive influx of criminal aliens, which was followed by another massive influx of criminal aliens after Katrina; I just did not want to give one away to a criminal which would just break my window glass and take it.

But suddenly I realize that no one has a gun rack any more.

Did I miss something?

Did it suddenly become illegal to have a Texas Gun Rack in Texas?

Please tell me that it is still legal to carry a long gun in a vehicle in Texas!

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Yes it is still legal. However, in most cases it is not prudent to carry one in plain view like people used to. I'm sure there are still many long guns in vehicles across the state, but merely out of sight. Carrying a long gun the "old way" in a gun rack will more often than not lead to your vehicle being broken into and your gun and anything else of value stolen. In today's society a gun just sitting there for all the world to see is just too inviting.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I agree, it used to be common place. It also was a good place for a hot shot and a lariat to hang from. Actually, I remember noticing empty gun racks as odd.

Midway still sells the old simple and cheap ones. In some rural areas it may be different but it seems people just can't trust like they used to. I wish people would use them again. Hell, I wish I had a place in my Excursion to put one. :D

One thing that is different though, and may be part of the reason, back in the day, a truck was a truck was a single cab. These day's it's hard to find a single cab, thus anyone carrying a long gun may just lay them in the back floor.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    My mossy fits nicely behind the seats in my regular cab. lol

IMG_2746.gif

Nodena Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Downtown Nodena-NE Texas
    In Texas, you should assume that all pick-ups have at least one long gun in it. I know all my neighbors carry, usually some sort of distance rifle (.223) to shoot coyotes and pigs and during deer season some kind of big bore rifle which serves the same purpose and more. We gang up at the coffee shop 'bout daybreak and were talking this morning about how everyone used to have gun racks before the thieves got so brave on those chemicals.This my first post on this site but not my first rodeo.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    In Texas, you should assume that all pick-ups have at least one long gun in it. I know all my neighbors carry, usually some sort of distance rifle (.223) to shoot coyotes and pigs and during deer season some kind of big bore rifle which serves the same purpose and more. We gang up at the coffee shop 'bout daybreak and were talking this morning about how everyone used to have gun racks before the thieves got so brave on those chemicals.This my first post on this site but not my first rodeo.

Ahhh, so the real Texas is still preserved somewhere out there? And I bet y'all have the audacity to wave at folks on the road, whether you know them or not?

So much of Texas culture has been absolutely diluted to nothing. :mad: It's always good to find a little piece still thriving out there.

CJS3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    Well I've got the rack, I just don't always have something in it. On the way to the range or to the field, I'm packin. Just not day to day. I'm afraid temptation for thievin is just too great.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Can you imagine the 911 calls if you drove around with a couple of AKs or some other EBRs in your rack. lol

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Our trucks still have the racks in them. But they're not in plain view. With the number of break ins and such, its tough to keep sticky fingers away even when there is nothing in plain sight. Frustrating to day the least.

I'd be nice of the racked rifle had an AI setting like the car alarm. Activate it when you leave and its sure to protect the vehicle while you're away.

Maybe I should start keeping a snake or a mean dog in the cab overnight.

Oh, the wave. Its normal to do that one finger wave...no, not the unfriendly one finger. After leaving TX, I angered a lot of folks with the one finger on the wheel wave. It took me a while to figure out that I had to flap all 4 fingers

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The last gun rack I had was mounted up over the door frame rails, across the sun visors, in a '98 Dodge Ramcharger. It was out of sight and I stored all kinds of stuff up there. New trucks don't have those door frame covers like they used to. I find myself hiding my rifles under coats and stuff when I go to the local gun shops. Some folks will steal stuff any time, any where these days. You just can't take a chance. I still occassionally wave at folks on the road. Sometimes you get wierd looks in return, but that hasn't stopped me yet. We had it better back then and just didn't know it.

dtalley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    I think you stopped seeing rear window gun racks in pickups about the same time as the open container law went into effect.

Man I miss those days

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Oh, the wave. Its normal to do that one finger wave...no, not the unfriendly one finger. After leaving TX, I angered a lot of folks with the one finger on the wheel wave. It took me a while to figure out that I had to flap all 4 fingers

Folks out west just looked me like I was crazy when I did that.

Gpz1100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    i remember a real nice quality long steel safe / gunrack that was bolted to the floorboard behind the seat. they had a nice interior too. sure would like to find one of those again, be handy.
    i have the old style gun racks in my work truck. great for hanging umbrella, hardhat, coat...can't have a firearm in co vehicle

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    There is a guy in the DFW area that has been making pistol sized gun safes for mounting in vehicles for years.

I hope he reads this and begins making some long gun sized vehicle safes.

I would like to purchase one myself!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    A safe in a vehicle is great to have, to store a gun that won't be used.

I Do however keep a small lock box cabled inside my truck for storage when I can't carry.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    A safe in a vehicle is great to have, to store a gun that won't be used.

I Do however keep a small lock box cabled inside my truck for storage when I can't carry.

That is an excellent point!

That is why this particular craftsman fashions gun safes that use the same type of keypad locks that hospitals use. (Not the same model, but same style.)

The lock can be unlocked and the safe opened in about one second, by touch without even looking at the safe (after you are used to the keypad).

It is not a key pad like a phone, but a tactile pad lock, with four or five nipples in a row that you press in the correct order to open the lock.

Drawing a handgun out of one of his safes is almost as fast as drawing one from a holster, and easier than from a glove box if you locate the safe where it is in easy reach.

The craftsman is of course very used to his product, and he can demonstrate that he can draw a handgun from his locked safe in less than two seconds, and I have seen him do it.

The inside of the safe is padded to protect your firearm.

He sells a ton of them in various sizes.

I should have bought myself a couple already.

Gpz1100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Warren, TX
    way back before cell phones...around 4am, a buddy broke down on i-10 near san antonio. he was within site of a convenience store. his wife stayed with the truck. by the time he got back, someone broke into the camper and stole all his rifles. his wife never heard a thing.
    i showed him the box i had behind the seat. he bought 2 and bolted them in the bed/camper. if nothing else having them out of sight and locked would have slowed them down. insurance paid so he was able to replace all of them.

shinerjohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Central Texas
    After many years of living in town, I moved to the lake a couple of years ago. It took a few months, but I now have everyone on my farm road waiving. Even the women!!! Sure makes it more relaxed...

Top Bottom