• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'll be deer hunting later this month in South Texas, and would like to take a pig with my 6" .357mag. Can anyone recommend a good factory round to accomplish this? The distance will be in the 15-20 yard range, and the pigs are relatively small (100lbs or less).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete
    Target Sports

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Use a bigger gun. Unles they are in traps, most people I know will use a .44mag loaded with hard cast or jacketed soft points. The people I know who pistol hunt hogs on a regular basis use .454 casull's or bigger.

If you do come across that "monster boar" you want enough gun.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    2 things:

One I always carry a big bore pistol when hunting, ususally a ruger blackhawk 45 colt.

Secondly a close friend of mine shot a 400lb boar with a stock colt 1911, series 80, 45 acp. I round of 230 gr FMJ to the head and it dropped.

arvetus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    We use a .45 if they're in a trap. But, on the contrary, I've also had 'em in the trap and seen them taken down with a .22 long gun with a properly placed shot. If they're not in a trap, I would go with everyone else and recommend something larger than a .357 if you're using a handgun. :) I normally carry a .40 pistol and/or a .308 long gun in the East Texas woods.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    With careful shot placement, the 357 is more than enough for the distance and size animal you're expecting. Pick something in the 180 grain or heavier bullet, JSP or hard cast bullet preferred for penetration. Have had good experiences with Win 180 Gold Partition, but it's the only hollow point I'd trust to penetrate as needed.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks Phil. As it turns out, I never got a good shot on that particular weekend of hunting, so I'll have to wait until next time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Quick version of something that happened this weekend.

Neck shot a 275+ Russian hybrid at about 125 yardswith a 150 gr core-lokt. Watched him flop twice and squealed for about 15 seconds then stopped. Watched him lay un moving for about 2 minutes.

Walked toward the kill site and the path to it is obscured by a clump of cedars. About 25 yards from the drop site, a 275+ neck shot pig charges through the cedars at me.{ I am glad I peed earlier} I dropped{and I mean dropped} the handgun I was holding to finish him off if he needed it and went straight to the LR308 and pumped two more into him from about 15 yards in his shoulder/rib area. DRT for real this time.

None of 150gr Core-lokt rounds exited.The neck shot turned in and got a lung, and the other two hit vitals and stopped.{ no it was not the "shield" just a very dense, thick pig}

Something to think about when "handgunning" hogs.

Top Bottom