Join TexasGunTalk

Pilot license

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FireInTheWire, Jan 14, 2019.

1. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Hold me beer and watch this TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Anyone on this site have one? Been thinking about getting one. I have no flight experience other than flying with friends and FIL. I plan on stopping by the local airport and getting some info.

Was wondering actual Cost and Time to get one. Anything I can do to get ahead of the game?

Thanks

2. gaines67

gaines67 Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Park City
    I have my single, multi engine and instrument rating. Though a lot of fun and very rewarding, aviation is very demanding and requires a significant commitment of time and money. The “easy” part is getting your license; staying “current” requires a commitment to flying (at minimum) several times a month and preferably once per week. The ramifications of not doing so are obviously egregious. You have to decide whether you are ready to make that commitment long term - it’s not a hobby, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I do. Feel free to PM and we can set up time to talk.

Generally speaking, expect a $10K - $12K investment just to earn your PPL. Most people take 3-4 months flying once or twice a week and take close to twice the FAA minimum required hours before they pass the check ride.

Hard number mins for the more affordable way to do it:

40 total hours flight time to include
    20 hours flight instruction
    20 hours solo flight
    Knowledge exam

Hard number mins for the more expensive way to do it:

35 hours flight time to include:
    20 hours flight instruction
    5 hours solo flight
    Remaining 10 hrs based on student needs
    Knowledge exam

Both ways get you the exact same end result. Averages are 72 hrs total flight time for successful initial PPL applicants.

4. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    See my post above for numbers. Don’t go by the airport until after you know if you’re medically eligible. I can talk with you in depth on that subject, but generally speaking a healthy individual with no alcohol related incidents, or no SSRI usage, or no cardiovascular events should be a smooth process.

You can’t solo without the medical and the FAA isn’t processing initial medical during the shutdown. This may impact you if you have any significant (to the FAA) medical events. Realize the FAA philosophy is you’re unfit to fly until you prove to us you’re fit.

majormadmax and FireInTheWire like this.
  5. busykngt

busykngt TGT Addict

Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I have my commercial, ME & instrument rating too. Ditto to what gaines67 said with an added emphasis on costs if you’re paying for it yourself. Got my Private Pilots license when I was sixteen (mid-sixties, now). Kept a job through high school and it took every spare penny I could make. But it was rewarding when I passed my check ride just a few weeks after getting my drivers license.

DD130, deemus, ZX9RCAM and 3 others like this.
  6. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Thank you.

So let me explain. I have Family scattered all over Texas. These 5-6hr drives are getting old. Last time I flew with FIL it took us 1.5hrs. I was thinking about a Cherokee 6 for the family and just flying. I know you have to stay on top of it, but I think i'd use it a lot.

I have anxiety when I fly with others. But I think it's due to not knowing what to do if something happened to the pilot. I guess this is something that goes away with time and training?

7. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Of course. I have many stick hours and love to fly but have never pursued a license, have a ridiculous amount of aviation and aerodynamic knowledge. 2.5 hours of (stick)time in a B-17.

Anxiety goes away with training. I would never walk into a sub-station but I will walk into a house thats on fire. When I walk up to a horrible wreck I know exactly what to do.

.....and just like you, it takes a few years to achieve that.

8. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Subbed

FireInTheWire likes this.
  9. gaines67

gaines67 Member

Mar 2, 2018
    Park City
    Sounds like you have a good mission in mind for a private aircraft and I don’t want to discourage you at all. Just be aware that general aviation is significantly more dangerous than commercial (statistically); pilot error and weather are usually the culprits. Accordingly get trained well and stay trained and current. Though not the least arduous route (or least costly) I received my training at Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach in one block of time. I don’t know if you have the ability to take off from work to do it that way, but it actually makes your training more efficient since you fly a lot in a short period of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire likes this.
  10. FireInTheWire

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    The end result will be flying my family. I don't take my Family's safety lightly... so I want to be proficient. But then again.... driving is getting dangerous nowadays.

I'll look into that school.