• ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Most likely this.

Experimental-Amatuer Built (E-AB) are not subject to the same maintenance and inspection requirements certified aircraft such as a Piper, Cessna, or other non-homebuilt is.

Unfortunately, there are no 6-place E-AB aircraft, but I won’t go into the fallacy of most six-seaters in the GA fleet.
    His plane does require its annual inspection. The Cessna he had while building the Van's was such that the pilot was not required an annual physical.

gaines67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2018
    Park City
    Lol... yeah that's what I told the wife earlier. "Maybe I stick to guns."

Tell your wife you are taking flying lessons, then use the money for guns and ammo. When she asks what happened to flying, tell her “after a bunch of lessons it seemed too dangerous.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Be prepared to have a lot less gun money! :p

You might be on to something that will allow to buy more guns! :green:

Tell your wife you are taking flying lessons, then use the money for guns and ammo. When she asks what happened to flying, tell her “after a bunch of lessons it seemed too dangerous.”

Generally speaking, most of us can afford one expensive hobby.

Aviation doesn’t have to be expensive, but it can get that way real quick due to the regulatory environment and the amount of financing most people do to get in the game.

I know many sole owners and partners who are debt free. Most of them live well below there means, and though they are painful aware of how much it costs to play in the game, very few costs are too high as aviation is a passion.

The OP mentioned somewhere about passenger anxiety. One way to get over that is to get 10 or so hours of instruction in what’s informally known as a pinch hitter course. Then, armed with that knowledge you just co-opt the FIL to do the round trip and offer to pay for the gas.

Most guys I know are just looking for an excuse to fly and will gladly split gas if asked.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I built and flew a home built two seater (experimental). Annual inspections aren’t an issue, you simply apply to the FAA for the repairman’s certificate which allows you to perform your own annual inspections (if you were the original builder). I did drop a $500 note one time, having a Grumman American Tiger inspected (back in the day), I was considering buying. Had too much wrong with it so no deal - ea$y come, ea$y go...

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Have 3 friends that had planes at the Rockport airport before Harvey.....none of the three planes survived the hurricane and not one of the owners had insurance on their planes......

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I think that ‘gun book’ (novel), “Unintended Consequences” had a great little scene in it, where the main character steals a plane - at least, I got a kick out of it!

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My thoughts on this are what if I wanted to like visit some friends in Idaho and take my guns, but I didn't want to drive 22 hours. Perhaps flying with a friend on their private plane would be cheaper.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I’ve seen successful aircraft partnerships work and I’ve seen a couple fall apart, leaving bitter feelings and in one case, end in lawsuits. So it’s very much a ‘buyer beware’ situation (even among friends).

I lived on a private airstrip for twenty eight years and never “self insured” - I did have a tornado cause some minor damage (~$10K) to my hanger, one time but homeowners insurance covered that. A hurricane doesn’t sneak up on you like a tornado can. Those guys electing to not fly their planes out of the way of Harvey, what were they thinking?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Is this common?

Depends. Unlike auto liability policies, there is no government requirement to maintain a policy on an airplane.

Lenders will usually require a hull coverage policy if the aircraft serves as collateral.

Aviation insurance policies can have a hull value component (comprehensive coverage), a liability component, and options for ground movement coverage, etc.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...Those guys electing to not fly their planes out of the way of Harvey, what were they thinking?

Especially considering most insurance companies will reimburse owners for expenses related to a safe harbor relocation so long as certain criteria will be met.

Cheaper for the insurer to do that then pay the claim.

Top Bottom