• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m a glider pilot with ~100 flights and hours.
    It’s a blast.
    Hey, anyone can fly a plane with an engine and full gas tank. Sailplanes force you to think and plan ahead.

Every plane with an engine is one failure away from being a (poor) glider. That forces you to really have to think ahead.
    Target Sports

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I’m a glider pilot with ~100 flights and hours.
    It’s a blast.
    Hey, anyone can fly a plane with an engine and full gas tank. Sailplanes force you to think and plan ahead.
    About the same for me. Glider flying is insanely addictive . It's the fundamentals of flight...basic stick & rudder. THEN, when you find yourself in a thermal and climbing 600-800 fpm...
    BOOM.
    Further , it's an excellent head start if you want to move into powered flight.
    I have been inactive for about a decade and now I really miss it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Every plane with an engine is one failure away from being a (poor) glider. That forces you to really have to think ahead.
    My father had a private pilot's license many years ago. Flew pretty much just small single engine prop planes. It was kind of scary and exhilarating at the same time when he would shut down the engine and just glide. I enjoyed riding with him.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Discovery flight is usually how they’re marketed. Soaring doesn’t require an FAA medical, which can be a frustrating exercise. Not a bad place to start, but being able to commit time is important.

Ah yes that’s what they’re calling it.

I don’t anticipate any issues with a medical clearance for a PPL unless something unforeseen comes up. But that’s always a possibility.

Soaring being cheaper helps too.

But you’re absolutely right on time commitment. I want to be sure I can invest the time to do it right and be safe.

Hell, who knows, I may take the discovery flight and hate it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ah yes that’s what they’re calling it.

I don’t anticipate any issues with a medical clearance for a PPL unless something unforeseen comes up. But that’s always a possibility.

Soaring being cheaper helps too.

But you’re absolutely right on time commitment. I want to be sure I can invest the time to do it right and be safe.

Hell, who knows, I may take the discovery flight and hate it.
    I have a friend that just got his rotary license last year. I'd love to ride in a helicopter! Just not with @Hoji or @toddnjoyce !

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone on this site have one? Been thinking about getting one. I have no flight experience other than flying with friends and FIL. I plan on stopping by the local airport and getting some info.

Was wondering actual Cost and Time to get one. Anything I can do to get ahead of the game?

Thanks

I flew for over 50 years, much of it over Texas. For reliable travel as you describe, you need a minimum of a Private w/ Instrument Rating and a well-maintained airplane.

Keeping a plane and staying current cost both money & time. I found it to be very, very worth it.

Flying makes trips possible which would be very difficult using autos or trucks.

Don’t forget that you’ll need ground transportation at both ends.

Good Luck !
    leVieux

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Time and Money - isn't that always the case. Flying safely requires a commitment. It's easy to kill yourself with an ultralight. Becoming proficient requires time and effort, and money. For those of us who maintain currency and proficiency it is the best thing you can ever do with your clothes on.

You must dedicate the training time to stay learning, i.e., fly 2-3 times a week. Bank the money, because if you nickel-dime, you will probably never finish. You either want it or you don't - there is no try.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Commercial
    Airplane single engine land
    Instrument Airplane
    Airplane Single engine Sea
    Airplane Multi Engine Land
    Rotorcraft Helicopter
    Glider

Most fun -seaplane
    Most likely to kill you-helicopter
    Most uncomfortable, Glider- a bitch in the summer.
    Most likely to make you sick, aerobatics but may save your life.

When I started rental of a wet C172 was $65/hour.
    All of my training and flying was civilian. Follow your dreams though as you only go around once. I owned a stable of planes and a helicopter but nowadays an ATV provides the fun and adventure. Age takes its toll.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    About the same for me. Glider flying is insanely addictive . It's the fundamentals of flight...basic stick & rudder. THEN, when you find yourself in a thermal and climbing 600-800 fpm...
    BOOM.
    Further , it's an excellent head start if you want to move into powered flight.
    I have been inactive for about a decade and now I really miss it.

There’s a club at Boerne Stage. San Antonio Soaring Society. They’re pretty affordable.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    There’s a club at Boerne Stage. San Antonio Soaring Society. They’re pretty affordable.
    Thanks, Todd. Yes, I felw there once years ago with my dad. I went up with an instructor, as I was not current, and when it was time to land there was a Mooney in the middle of the runway on its belly (gear collapse on take off). We only got to use half of the runway, but it worked out. Luckily, the spoilers on gliders are very effective.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I'll be in our company Cardinal today, but this was my weekend ride and if everything goes as planned, I'll be briefly down in the Comfort area this weekend to help a client pick up his own!

Attachments

• DJI_0940.JPG
      DJI_0940.JPG
      550.1 KB · Views: 32

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have my single, multi engine and instrument rating. Though a lot of fun and very rewarding, aviation is very demanding and requires a significant commitment of time and money. The “easy” part is getting your license; staying “current” requires a commitment to flying (at minimum) several times a month and preferably once per week. The ramifications of not doing so are obviously egregious. You have to decide whether you are ready to make that commitment long term - it’s not a hobby, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have spent a fortune flying, certainly not a casual pastime. ATP MEL SEL ratings

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom