Join TexasGunTalk

Piney Woods / East Texas shooters .... where are you?

Discussion in 'Other Areas' started by Glockster69, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict

Jul 1, 2011
    Just trying to get a feel for how many are in the area. Perhaps this will assist in setting up future lunches / meetups / shoots. Maybe you can mention where you shoot most often too. I shoot mainly at MCGAC.

Since there are so many new Texans I've included two maps. I'm near Huntsville.

ustxpwma.gif piney_woods1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. willygene

willygene Active Member

Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    I'm in nacogdoches , I get down close to you when we ranch rodeo at Montgomery and navasota.

3. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A little farther south is Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont. GTGC has lots of different competitions. The club has rifle ranges with full target pit operations out to 600 yards. I haven't been shooting rifle matches in a while but I keep my membership active.

Regional High Power Rifle championships are held there, too.

Flash

4. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict

Jul 1, 2011
    willygene: where do you shoot most often?

Roger: I had in my mind Piney Woods but added East Texas so GTGC sneaks in fair enough. Sounds like a good range but intimidating to folks like me.

Seems I failed to answer my own question. I shoot most often at MCGAC. (Added to OP).

5. willygene

willygene Active Member

Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    Mostly on our own property here at home. We have several hundred acres to shoot on, and were ten miles from town so no one to really grip about shooting.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Member

Nov 2, 2008
    I'm about 30 clicks north of Tyler. We have a small indoor range within our gated community.

7. Byrd666

Byrd666 Well-Known

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    When I was living in Mineola, I used to go to Turkey Hill, think, that's the name. Right off 80 about 3.5 miles east of town. Decent covered pistol range and a 100+- yard rifle range. Though the pistol range has to be closed to use it. Mostly focused on shotguns though, kinda like like the r&p range was an afterthought. But, it was close and reasonably priced for a membership.

And don't forget about the Ponderosa Gun Shop. Right in downtown on 80, and the best prices I ever found in east Texas.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  8. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's the site on Golden Triangle.

The Golden Triangle Gun Club

They are about the nicest bunch you'd ever meet! Non members can shoot the matches. I shot matches at several gun clubs for almost 8 years and settled in to GT matches as my favorites. The match schedule is on the site.

There are military rifle matches and military bolt matches at 200 yards then 600 yard prone matches for Military, Match rifle and "F" class. There are lots of pistol matches, too.

It's a great bunch and they will help you get started.

Flash

9. Jon Payne

Jon Payne Well-Known

Nov 16, 2010
    SE TX/Gulf Coast
    They are a great bunch. I've shot the 200 yard matches and had a great time.

10. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Member

Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    I live in Hallsville. I usually shoot at the East Texas Rifle and Pistol club. It's between Longview and Kilgore. The company I work for just re-opened their rifle and pistol range, so I might be shooting there more, but they are limited to 100 yds rifle.