Target Sports

Piney Woods / East Texas shooters .... where are you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Just trying to get a feel for how many are in the area. Perhaps this will assist in setting up future lunches / meetups / shoots. Maybe you can mention where you shoot most often too. I shoot mainly at MCGAC.

Since there are so many new Texans I've included two maps. I'm near Huntsville.

ustxpwma.gif
    piney_woods1.jpg
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A little farther south is Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont. GTGC has lots of different competitions. The club has rifle ranges with full target pit operations out to 600 yards. I haven't been shooting rifle matches in a while but I keep my membership active.

Regional High Power Rifle championships are held there, too.

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    willygene: where do you shoot most often?

Roger: I had in my mind Piney Woods but added East Texas so GTGC sneaks in fair enough. Sounds like a good range but intimidating to folks like me.

Seems I failed to answer my own question. I shoot most often at MCGAC. (Added to OP).

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    Mostly on our own property here at home. We have several hundred acres to shoot on, and were ten miles from town so no one to really grip about shooting.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    When I was living in Mineola, I used to go to Turkey Hill, think, that's the name. Right off 80 about 3.5 miles east of town. Decent covered pistol range and a 100+- yard rifle range. Though the pistol range has to be closed to use it. Mostly focused on shotguns though, kinda like like the r&p range was an afterthought. But, it was close and reasonably priced for a membership.

And don't forget about the Ponderosa Gun Shop. Right in downtown on 80, and the best prices I ever found in east Texas.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's the site on Golden Triangle.

The Golden Triangle Gun Club

They are about the nicest bunch you'd ever meet! Non members can shoot the matches. I shot matches at several gun clubs for almost 8 years and settled in to GT matches as my favorites. The match schedule is on the site.

There are military rifle matches and military bolt matches at 200 yards then 600 yard prone matches for Military, Match rifle and "F" class. There are lots of pistol matches, too.

It's a great bunch and they will help you get started.

Flash

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    They are a great bunch. I've shot the 200 yard matches and had a great time.
    Here's the site on Golden Triangle.

The Golden Triangle Gun Club

They are about the nicest bunch you'd ever meet! Non members can shoot the matches. I shot matches at several gun clubs for almost 8 years and settled in to GT matches as my favorites. The match schedule is on the site.

There are military rifle matches and military bolt matches at 200 yards then 600 yard prone matches for Military, Match rifle and "F" class. There are lots of pistol matches, too.

It's a great bunch and they will help you get started.

Flash

Pawpaw40

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    East Texas
    I live in Hallsville. I usually shoot at the East Texas Rifle and Pistol club. It's between Longview and Kilgore. The company I work for just re-opened their rifle and pistol range, so I might be shooting there more, but they are limited to 100 yds rifle.

JSF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Lufkin
    I live in Pollok which is just outside Lufkin and Nacogdoches but when I shoot at a range its Evans Brothers in Huntington

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    The Piney Woods alone covers an area almost as large as the eight smallest states combined and there's only 9 of us?

Come on, where is everybody? :popcorn:

mardad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2013
    Nacogdoches
    Creek bank or dirt mound on our chicken farm North of Nacogdoches.Nothing over 100 yds. Mostly 25 to 50, just to heat up the bbls. and get trigger time.

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    I have a place 8 miles east of Woodville on 190 that I shoot on.going to put a load of dirt down where I can have a 125 yard range.texaspro do you know anybody around Livingston has a $3000 range utv/:50cal:

speedracer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    houston
    Hey Howard,there is a about 7 acres next to mine out of Woodville,about 40 miles from Lufkin for sale.He said it was appraised at 20,000,which is way high,he didn't know what he was going to sell it for.This land was clear cut and really grown up bad.This is on a private road 8 miles east of Woodville.Let me know and I can give you his number.later:flag:

graymountain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2014
    Just trying to get a feel for how many are in the area. Perhaps this will assist in setting up future lunches / meetups / shoots. Maybe you can mention where you shoot most often too. I shoot mainly at MCGAC.

I live in Tyler and shoot at land I own about thirty miles north near Gilmer. I set up a 50 yd pistol range and a 200 yd rifle. Mainly shoot ARs and 1911s. I have heard about the Turkey Hill Club near Mineola that was mentioned. Also have been told that the Big Rock Club near Athens has a 1000 yd range but have never been there.

naed5048

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2014
    new to area looking for a place to shoot

I live out by the airport IN Nacogdoches on CR 712 off of 715. I've heard of Angelina shooting range. Is their any other places I can shoot? I don't shoot a great deal but need more time practicing. Your help would be appreciated

Creek bank or dirt mound on our chicken farm North of Nacogdoches.Nothing over 100 yds. Mostly 25 to 50, just to heat up the bbls. and get trigger time.

Top Bottom