• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Remember there are two types of red dot sights, prismatic and reflex. The ones in Mike’s post above are reflex sights and eye relief isn’t an issue.

Prismatic red dots are like the M68 and short eye relief is generally required.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Remember there are two types of red dot sights, prismatic and reflex. The ones in Mike’s post above are reflex sights and eye relief isn’t an issue.

Prismatic red dots are like the M68 and short eye relief is generally required.
    Well, I was only ever talking about that type.

ETA: So, you are saying they are not an issue on an AR pistol?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, I was only ever talking about that type.

ETA: So, you are saying they are not an issue on an AR pistol?

I have zero clue how ATF is going to decide on the various factors because they’ve said they will only rule on something submitted to them and that ruling only applies for that specific make/model/configuration.

That’s the problem with this final rule; it’s entirely subjective. And that’s a big no-no for a regulatory rule.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    gonzalesvintage_270x_e2e3d5f7-d51b-4c89-aa2e-947544226d30 (1).jpg

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    From the beginning of the ATF's release of the rule, my simple understanding of what would constitute a prohibited sight on a pistol (a sight that would make a pistol an SBR) is basically any sight with a short eye relief, i.e. rifle iron sights (particularly aperture), short eye relief RDS (like prismatics), rifle scopes, and whatever else I didn't think of... that would require the pistol to be shoudered to render a sight picture.

Any RDS, pistol sights, long eye relief pistol scope, or notch and post type sights that would allow a sight picture with an extended arm would be OK as sights, but that still wouldn't make the gun a pistol if the other criteria for a pistol were not met.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And evidently reflex red dot sights don't require being fired from the shoulder.

This is why I was so confused when the ATF first signaled that the sights installed would have some impact on their determinations.

The two that come to immediately to mind that "force" shooting from the shoulder are aperture sights and plain-Jane optical scopes. I've fired both from arms length. Pistol scopes with long eye relief have been around since at least the 1960s. Even Smith & Wesson has occasionally put aperture rear sights on their revolvers since at least 1935 on the Registered Magnum. Many, many competition pistols use aperture sights, depending on the particular shooting game. In my sport, I preferred them for decades from ~1980 forward, at least until my eyes weren't good enough to use them.

While I'm sure there's some technology with which I am unfamiliar, as far as I can tell no type of sight requires being fired from the shoulder.

And that means any reference to sights in making an SBR determination is utter bollocks.

It's almost like the people trying to regulate a thing just don't have all that much personal familiarity with that thing. Not that anything like that could ever happen in this enlightened age, right?

This is the same .gov that can't tell a male from a female.
    But they are telling us the difference between a rifle and a pistol.

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    From the beginning of the ATF's release of the rule, my simple understanding of what would constitute a prohibited sight on a pistol (a sight that would make a pistol an SBR) is basically any sight with a short eye relief, i.e. rifle iron sights (particularly aperture), short eye relief RDS (like prismatics), rifle scopes, and whatever else I didn't think of... that would require the pistol to be shoudered to render a sight picture.

Any RDS, pistol sights, long eye relief pistol scope, or notch and post type sights that would allow a sight picture with an extended arm would be OK as sights, but that still wouldn't make the gun a pistol if the other criteria for a pistol were not met.
    So these sights make a pistol a sbr?

1679583911277.png

This purposefully subjective vagueness will be one reason for the rules undoing

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    This is why I was so confused when the ATF first signaled that the sights installed would have some impact on their determinations.

The two that come to immediately to mind that "force" shooting from the shoulder are aperture sights and plain-Jane optical scopes...

Scout scopes and other long eye relief scopes came to mind for me as another splitting of the hairs. That’s when I decided ATF has built a rule in which anything can now be declared a rifle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Top Bottom