TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Historical examples of #3 happening:

Gun Zone Deals

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Keep it
    Destroy it
    Turn it in
    Register it
    Just take it off....not so fast

Supposed clarification to ffl dealers came out yesterday afternoon. Some will say it is as it always was except for the atf directors testimony otherwise that you could just take it off.

Reactions: gll

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I agree, if they wanted too, they could probably charge someone with constructive possession.....but, unless they come to your house with a warrant, that's not going to happen. I sincerely believe, and maybe I'm being naive, that they are not going to be conducting warrant searches door to door on just any and everyone who has purchased a brace, or a pistol. Now, getting caught out in public with a braced pistol would be a different story.
    I am not so sure that they may not start knocking on a door or two.

Reactions: gll

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …IOW, the ATF chief didn't understand his own rule, the FAQ works hard to not answer the frequently asked questions, and the text of the rule is a minefield.

At least that's how it appears to me.
    Allow me to foot stomp and riff on this.

We’ve proven in this thread ATF doesn’t have the grammatical capacity to understand what they put in the CFR actually means. If you’re relying on an FAQ, verbal testimony of a politically appointed person, or anything other than the exact text of the CFR (because that tells ATF how to implement the US Code statutes), good luck with that as ignorance of the law is not usually a solid defense.

The definition of what a rifle is in 27 CFR 478 and 479 changed. People better start getting used to that, because ATF is saying the only way to get to an SBR is to start with a rifle. That’s significantly different than before with the pistol to rifle to pistol theory from previous eras.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

We’ve proven in this thread ATF doesn’t have the grammatical capacity to understand what they put in the CFR actually means. If you’re relying on an FAQ, verbal testimony of a politically appointed person, or anything other than the exact text of the CFR (because that tells ATF how to implement the US Code statutes), good luck with that as ignorance of the law is not usually a solid defense.

The definition of what a rifle is in 27 CFR 478 and 479 changed. People better start getting used to that, because ATF is saying the only way to get to an SBR is to start with a rifle. That’s significantly different than before with the pistol to rifle to pistol theory from previous eras.

So should I be registering these things or not?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't own any "large format pistol" of any sort unless I count the single shot target pistols.

That said, I'm going to have to again read the applicable CFR and then re-read the Thompson Center case and then ponder some things. I do own a rifle manufactured before that case where the action was originally papered as a pistol.

I'm at the age where I'd like to simplify life and the ATF decides they want to complicate it like this? May a pox fall on all their houses.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So should I be registering these things or not?

giphy.gif

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It says to permanently remove OR alter the stabilizing brace so that it can not be attached. Not AND. Clear as mud and doesn't make sense. That combined with Deddelbach's testimony to congress that you just need to remove it and the fact that braces are not illegal and can be used on other non-SBR's makes it debatable in my mind. I have various AR's and spare parts that can be swapped around including stocks. There is nothing illegal about having extra stocks that have not been altered.
    If you can reattach the brace you're not in compliance. That's VERY clear.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    typical bureaucrat deflect and distract.

I am not a dummy. My IQ is well above average and I CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHAT THE **** IS LEGAL AND IS NOT WITH THESE JACKASSES.

I have no idea what to do here and ignorance of the law is no excuse. On the one hand, registering them is admitting you committed a felony, on the other hand not registering them is committing a felony after June 1. Damned if you do damned if you do not.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Keep it
    Destroy it
    Turn it in
    Register it
    Just take it off....not so fast

Supposed clarification to ffl dealers came out yesterday afternoon. Some will say it is as it always was except for the atf directors testimony otherwise that you could just take it off.

Relying on the word of a politician is never good. The ATF director is a politician. They are not appointed because they know a lot about the subject matter.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

This simply isn't true. People are getting PAID approvals for pistol to SBR. You can create a rifle from a pistol, just like it's always been.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    https://thereload.com/fifth-circuit-blocks-biden-pistol-brace-ban/

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) can’t enforce President Joe Biden’s ban on pistol-brace-equipped guns.

That’s the result of a ruling from a three-judge panel on the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals released on Tuesday. The court issued a preliminary injunction against Biden’s brace ban in Mock v. Garland. The scope of the order may be limited to the named plaintiffs in the case, which was brought by two individual plaintiffs and the gun-rights group Firearms Policy Coalition.

:D

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom