• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    so is a buffer tube a brace?
    A plain pistol buffer tube isn't a brace, but a dimpled pistol tube or a rifle tube might be...

And, even a pistol with a plain pistol tube might be a rifle if it has rifle sights or a rifle scope, such that the pistol has to be held like a rifle in order to engage the sights.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I haven't kept up with this like I should but I just looked at the Form 4999 again. It looks like anything weighing less than 64 ounces is exempt from scrutiny, i.e. brace a lightweight single shot pistol all you want, any way you want; the ATF doesn't care.

Am I correct in the way I'm reading it?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I haven't kept up with this like I should but I just looked at the Form 4999 again. It looks like anything weighing less than 64 ounces is exempt from scrutiny, i.e. brace a lightweight single shot pistol all you want, any way you want; the ATF doesn't care.

It does seem to be worded that way. I'm sure they've got some trick up their sleeve to deal with people using that as a loophole though.

https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download (for those wanting to look at the form)

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10

:popcorn:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It does seem to be worded that way. I'm sure they've got some trick up their sleeve to deal with people using that as a loophole though.
    For me it's not a loophole. I bought a brace setup for my T/C Contender a long time ago. I figured if I was ever going to rebuild that cursed piece of crap, it would be as a braced pistol so I had a short, fun plinker, mostly likely dedicated to .38 Special target wadcutter loads.

I'm not likely to ever use the T/C again; I really hate that pistol. However, I don't like the idea of my choice being taken away by a new rule.

:(

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well dammit…. Just bought this RF 10.5” a couple of weeks ago.

Attachments

• B9457AA1-507D-4AC3-954E-BDE4B5AFC01D.jpeg
      B9457AA1-507D-4AC3-954E-BDE4B5AFC01D.jpeg
      95.9 KB · Views: 65

Squanchy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2022
    Houston, Tx
    oh man ive been completely out of the loop here... so pistol braced rifle platforms are now illegal if you dont NFA stamp them as an SBR? jesus christ

Top Bottom