• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pluong91

Dec 21, 2021
    San Antonio

Mountain Lions are also here in TX in the Big Bend area as well. My wife and I are huge hikers, been to National Parks all over and the only time I've seen a part of a Mountain Lion was at Big Bend. Was only able to see the tail end. They are not a huge concern for us.

A 45 or bear spray as referenced in my post will take care of them...

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I'm sure I've shared the story before, perhaps even in this thread.

It was a favorite subject for my dad, who served in Alaska during the Cuban missile crisis. He recounted being issued an M1 Garand from the armory when he wanted to go out from the base on a moose hunt. He said the Garand got rather heavy trekking through the wilderness and just didn't feel "right" for moose hunting - especially since the armory also supplied him with FMJ ammo!

At any rate he used to marvel at people who would go bear hunting with a handgun. He would ease into the conversation and remind them that it would be wise to file the front sight from any handgun before going to hunt bear. Then he would wait for the other person in the conversation to theorize and say, "because you won't need the front sight when aiming during a close encounter with a bear?"

"No", my dad would say. "So that when the bear takes the gun away from you and shoves it up your arse it won't hurt so bad!"

BTW, today is my dad's birthday. He would be 86.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Mountain Lions are also here in TX in the Big Bend area as well. My wife and I are huge hikers, been to National Parks all over and the only time I've seen a part of a Mountain Lion was at Big Bend. Was only able to see the tail end. They are not a huge concern for us.

A 45 or bear spray as referenced in my post will take care of them...
    As seen in Laredo.
    9E713087-E19F-4C2B-8189-9AB38CA45D9B.jpeg
    AF6CA6D7-1066-4E56-96A2-7E64234E8CAE.jpeg

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    My friends that live in the mountains carry a pistol everywhere.... that is probably because we've seen bears and lions walking down their driveway... hopefully you won't see any up close...

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    May 2, 2015
    I'm sure I've shared the story before, perhaps even in this thread.

It was a favorite subject for my dad, who served in Alaska during the Cuban missile crisis. He recounted being issued an M1 Garand from the armory when he wanted to go out from the base on a moose hunt. He said the Garand got rather heavy trekking through the wilderness and just didn't feel "right" for moose hunting - especially since the armory also supplied him with FMJ ammo!

At any rate he used to marvel at people who would go bear hunting with a handgun. He would ease into the conversation and remind them that it would be wise to file the front sight from any handgun before going to hunt bear. Then he would wait for the other person in the conversation to theorize and say, "because you won't need the front sight when aiming during a close encounter with a bear?"

"No", my dad would say. "So that when the bear takes the gun away from you and shoves it up your arse it won't hurt so bad!"

BTW, today is my dad's birthday. He would be 86.
    When my father was stationed in Alaska, he would drop his friend off in the woods with only a bow (recurve) and arrow. No gun. Always came back with bear. Big brass ones!

Dingo

May 27, 2021
    DFW
    Check the 460Rowland.com website, to see if any of your 45acp can be converted. It’s relatively cheap, just a barrel and spring swap. If I remember correctly the 460 has the ballistics of a 44 magnum, with the benefit of semi auto and 16 rounds. I converted a Glock for my bow hunting in the mountains. We always saw bears

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    We used to spend a week or two every summer in Colorado, western slope, mostly.... Lake City, Silverton, Durango, etc... I only saw one black bear during all that time, and it was about the size of a large St Bernard...
    I would carry the 6 round GP100 for any 4 legged "dangers". 2 legged predators are probably more of a risk, and the 357 should handle those situations nicely.

I have never heard of any grizzly sightings, so I goobered it.... this is an excerpt from one of the articles....

Thousands of grizzly bears once lived in Colorado. With the arrival of European settlers in the 1800s, America’s previously thriving population of these mighty and ferocious animals began to dwindle. Furthermore, an administration-subsidized program for hunters pointed toward lessening their populace. Their species was driven into an increasingly small residence zone until their last holdout was a little segment in the southern piece of the San Juan Mountain Range. Grizzlies have not been sighted in Colorado since 1952. Let’s learn more about grizzly bears in Colorado, including their habitats, nutrition, and other interesting facts below.

Top Bottom