• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CyberWolf

Aug 22, 2018
    US
    ...if something has decided you are food, then the bitey part of that critter is already in the process of rendering you into bite size pieces....

You can tell who has experience with dangerous wild animals, and who does not in this thread.

^Just my .02, but this is an important consideration (particularly the bolded part above).

Don't present like food, and you're much less likely to have an issue... Are you afraid of the bear? Well, guess what - they can tell...

Brief story to help illustrate the point - about 4-5 years ago, was in the Grand Lake area with the family, staying in a cabin near the edge of town (they do a Memorial Day parade/ceremony every year).

Anyway, some time around 1am (give or take), was outside enjoying a stogie and bourbon a short distance from the cabin (dark as hell that night, with just a bit of ambient light); noticed a massive 'shape' moving between two structures, probably about 50 feet away - couldn't really "see" it, just visible as an even darker area 'in motion'.

Knew immediately it was a bear (and put some other noises I had heard earlier into context), but not for a single instant was there any expression or even awarness of fear. I can very distinctly remember taking a draw from my stogie while thinking "Howdy, Mr. bear...Nice night...Don't start no shit, won't be no shit..."

Didn't see him again, finished my drink/smoke, and all worked out as it should have...

That said, had there been an actual need to put the bear in the dirt - I would have woken up the entire town and there'd have been lots of 'splainin to do, but there would have been no hesitation involved. Fortunately, I don't present as a very cooperative meal, so wasn't an issue...

mongoose

Well-Known
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Hopefully. If you come across a Bear, he will be like the last one I encountered Beautiful blonde color with a radio collar and both ears tagged. Poor bastard coun’t have cared less about my presence No telling how much human contact he had had.

Nexus

Feb 8, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I own a Glock 20 for my "Bear Gun" for hiking and outdoors. 10mm is useful for that. 15 rounds in a double stack mag isn't too bad either. I would suggest most other reliable 10mm autoloader pistols to people as well. Whatever works for you.

gamboolman

Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    I do not know how reliable these things are ?

But they toss alot lead out the snout....

Sd9WWOQl.png

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Anyone hear ever heard a Mountain lion calling for a mate in the middle of night while sleeping in a small pack tent?

Not me. My wife was raised in these parts and said it sounds like a woman screaming her life out. I've only listened to bears fighting all day and night and then the sounds of creepy footfalls next to the tent. But it was the gunfire from across the meadow that was really scary.

Krieger

BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2021
    Austin
    Oh, he’s been here a bit. Had some posts nuked for pimping his business.

Hello Hoji,

Yes I was "nuked"... quite a few times actually for violating the forum rules - not something that I did on purpose, though. Forum writing is new to me, so I've had a violation or two... In fact I had two yesterday and they removed my posts. I contacted Kevin some time ago and I'm working on becoming compliant.

I am grateful to you and to all of the others who point out my mistakes. I'll continue to repair my errors so that I can bring the readers of Texas Gun Talk information that may be of interest. I actually just starte a new series named, "The End Of The World As We Know It." I'll be discussing mindset, equipment and tactics that would be beneficial should we have a cataclysmic event.

You can find this series of posts here: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-introduction.106719/#post-2383406

Let me know what you think.

Again, thank you so much for pointing out the areas that I need to improve.

Respectfully,

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Hello Hoji,

Yes I was "nuked"... quite a few times actually for violating the forum rules - not something that I did on purpose, though. Forum writing is new to me, so I've had a violation or two... In fact I had two yesterday and they removed my posts. I contacted Kevin some time ago and I'm working on becoming compliant.

I am grateful to you and to all of the others who point out my mistakes. I'll continue to repair my errors so that I can bring the readers of Texas Gun Talk information that may be of interest. I actually just starte a new series named, "The End Of The World As We Know It." I'll be discussing mindset, equipment and tactics that would be beneficial should we have a cataclysmic event.

You can find this series of posts here: https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it-introduction.106719/#post-2383406

Let me know what you think.

Again, thank you so much for pointing out the areas that I need to improve.

Respectfully,

-Krieger
    Survive. Fight. Win. Return With Honor.
    link doesn't work for me

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. They just kill you. And maybe eat you too.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Ah the internet bear conversation. Do what you want. If a bear knows your coming and it feels it has a way out you should be fine. I have zero brown bear experience but a crap ton of black bear and mountain lion experience. Most of my experience is by luck and seeing with my own eyes how these animals work. What will keep you safe is just pay attention to your surroundings. I’ll talk when I hike but that’s me not being rude if I have someone with me who’s new. When I would camp and hike on my own I didn’t make much talk. I’ll walk where it makes sound the most and have something on your pack that clangs. 1, it calms my mind. 2, your ears are your friends. So just listen, look, smell, it’s all part of situational awareness. One hike in Oregon, an observation on a tree allowed me to put a mom and her cub well ahead of me. When they finally seen me she was already going down hill. Got to enjoy seeing mom and cub at a safe distance and she had an out. At my camp spot there was one trophy bear I never went after. Just didn’t feel like it. He never messed with me. Summer in Oregon I never used a tent. I’m a light sleeper and I can hear so much that way. That ol goof was not light footed going to the pond to get a drink. Lol. The only time I got uneasy at that same spot was waking up to a rabbit being killed and hearing a very like walk near my cot. Knew right off the bat it was a cat. I slept in the truck that night.

Now with a brown bear I’ll take advice from those that have been there. Would love to hike Colorado. Pack spray. Pack a big bore. If it’s your time it’s your time.

Top Bottom