Pistol in truck at work

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jray1536, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:03 AM.

1. jray1536

jray1536 Member

I am starting a new job next week and I was wondering if there were any exceptions to being able to have a pistol in your vehicle in the parking lot of work. I drove past where I will be working today and they had a bunch of “no guns allowed” signs at the entrances to the parking lots.
    I thought companies couldn’t prohibit employees from having firearms in their personal vehicles parked in the parking lot. What am I missing?

2. MTA89

MTA89 Active Member TGT Supporter

Mar 10, 2017
    North Texas
    From what I have heard, I am not a lawyer etc etc, having a gun in your personal vehicle in the parking lot of your work cannot be prohibited by an employer. However, that wont stop them from firing you since Texas is an employ at will state or whatever its called if they find out about this and don't like you.

Someone will be by to tell you if this is correct or not

3. pronstar

pronstar Active Member TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Our LTC class instructed us that parking lots are fine, they can't limite those.
    But you're right, you can be fired for any/no reason.

How would they know unless...?

4. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    There are exceptions. I don't remember them all, but it seems like 3 or 4 exceptions.

5. Charlie Primero

Charlie Primero Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Forest Country
    I used to do on-site I.T. work where I traveled to private hospitals, public schools, and State agencies. There are some weird rules at places like mental health facilities and places dealing with troubled youth that prohibit guns in personal vehicles.

Companies usually give new employees some type of Employee Handbook which lists their rules and regulations. If the prohibition is not listed there, ask some old-timers in a low-key way how strictly the rule is enforced.

If the rule is enforced, you'll have to gamble how much you need the job versus how likely it is someone would discover your gun. I've seen that happen when employees got hurt on the job, or had a heart attack and a supervisor kindly drove their car home for them, and once when a car caught on fire and employees demanded keys to helpfully move other employees' cars away from it.

6. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fannin County
    This! When the corporation I work for was moving it's office about 2 years ago I was involved with some part of the planning which included working with our lawyers who I've known for years. We discussed and they admitted the corporation could not restrict vehicles in the parking lot but only the building.

busykngt likes this.
  7. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I would most definitely not do this! Just keep quiet and don't worry about it. And if you need a weapon to defend yourself, the company rules don't make a rats ass!

seeker_two, MTA89, oldag and 3 others like this.
  8. sucker76

sucker76 Active Member

Nov 15, 2015
    TX
    I'm not fully understanding this statement. if the state law allows guns in vehicles in employee parking lots how can a company fire an individual for that? Does the law not afford any personal protection from employers? i.e. the state doesn't care and leaves it 100% to employer policy? If that's the case why even waste paper on a toothless law?

9. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hide it well in your vehicle and don't worry about it.

10. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Well-Known

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    At will employment state. You can be fired for any reason other than discrimination.