• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Those suits generally argue due process was infringed. For example, company policy says three warnings before you can be terminated. Employee is terminated, but the warnings aren’t documented. Sue, win.

Sometimes but not always, believe me.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Locked vehicle, locked container inside your vehicle, never consent to search, never tell anyone you have a firearm in the locked container inside your locked vehicle.....

....if they want to fire you, make them work for it....and make their lawyers work to deny your unemployment benefits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My employer also has a "no firearms" policy and the garage is posted 30.06 and 30.07. But our company ethics code indicates that any exceptions must be approved by the global head of security. So I got in touch with the head of security and asked if they make allowances for TX labor code subchapter 52.061. Basically their answer was as long as it stays out of sight in my locked vehicle, it was OK. (I do have a hard-mounted lockbox that I use) But I did get that exception in writing! Having that written exception in hand, I still follow a strict "don't tell" philosophy. And it goes into the lockbox before I drive onto company property.

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Btw those laws don’t apply at plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep; that is true... In my case, office building and parking garage only...

Anything that is considered "company business" requires me to leave it at home. So any road trips to a field site (or anything that I would be reimbursed for mileage) is a "no-no".

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    I had a friend kicked out of an Exxon Mobil plant because the dogs sniffed out ammo

He had a loaded mag, but no gun

3 days kicked out

People have been kicked out for a spent casing before

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yep; that is true... In my case, office building and parking garage only...

Anything that is considered "company business" requires me to leave it at home. So any road trips to a field site (or anything that I would be reimbursed for mileage) is a "no-no".

Sorta related...we were told if it's a company owned car, then your employer can exclude you from carrying in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sometimes but not always, believe me.

I do believe you. I agree that while it’s not as simple as it sounds, once the company terminates your employer it’s an uphill climb.

Employment law is a difficult area for companies to always be in compliance with, but it’s damn hard to prove it.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I do believe you. I agree that while it’s not as simple as it sounds, once the company terminates your employer it’s an uphill climb.

Employment law is a difficult area for companies to always be in compliance with, but it’s damn hard to prove it.

Goodness knows it sure as heck doesn't stop them from trying.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    Locked vehicle, locked container inside your vehicle, never consent to search, never tell anyone you have a firearm in the locked container inside your locked vehicle.....

I'm a contractor at a company where firearms in vehicles is prohibited (by employee guidelines) and they perform random vehicle searches. The searches are not entirely about weapons, they're also for catching anyone taking equipment out of the building without permission.

rusty tweezers

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    I do know that if it’s a Federal government job you cannot have firearms on the property, no exceptions/cars,locker, and such. My wife who works for USPS has seen them with dogs searching the parking lot for items at the Postal plant in Oklahoma.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    "Can employers prohibit workers from storing licensed handguns in their private vehicles?

Generally, no. In 2011, Senate Bill No. 321 was signed into law. Under SB 321, most public and private employers in Texas may not prohibit employees, who hold a license to carry a handgun, from transporting or storing a lawfully possessed rearm in the employee’s locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage or other area provided by the employer. Of course, there are several exceptions, including, vehicles leased or owned by the employer; vehicles parked in lots owned or controlled by schools; or specified properties owned or leased by chemical manufacturers or oil and gas refiners. "

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82R/billtext/pdf/SB00321F.pdf

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I'm a contractor at a company where firearms in vehicles is prohibited (by employee guidelines) and they perform random vehicle searches. The searches are not entirely about weapons, they're also for catching anyone taking equipment out of the building without permission.

Just curious, do they search your person as well as the vehicle? If not, there's your solution...

OUSchitzo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2018
    Dallas
    Had this issue, Parking lots are legal in Texas for companies.

Restrictions due apply for other organizations.

Companies can keep out of buildings IF they display 30.06 signs

RobertTheTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Central Texas
    The only exception to this (I think) is certain government property. For example at the VA, you are prohibited from bringing your firearms into the “campus”. That would include the parking lot. Their sign is right st the gate at the VA hospital I go to.
    Back to the guy who said to NOT ask the old timers. Spot on. Just because they are old doesn’t mean they support concealed carry. If I may offer some advise. Being prior MI and having lived more than a few years here’s my advice. Your buzzword for today and Everyday: OPSEC. (Operational Security). Always practice OPSEC with your firearms. This means at work, even when the dork at the coffee machine starts talking guns, you stop and you listen and you observe. Don’t get drawn into conversations with guys you do not know and reveal your inclinations, preferences, and what weapons you own. Remember success in any engagement is surprise, speed and violence if action. There’s a reason surprise is first. Just don’t reveal your hand. No one there needs to know you carry, what you carry or how your carry. It’s not being paranoid, st least in my mind. It’s being wise. Also I don’t mean to insult your intelligence if you already are dialed into this. Congrats on the new job though!

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston

Company car or private ?

Is it at a plant?

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I'm not fully understanding this statement. if the state law allows guns in vehicles in employee parking lots how can a company fire an individual for that? Does the law not afford any personal protection from employers? i.e. the state doesn't care and leaves it 100% to employer policy? If that's the case why even waste paper on a toothless law?
    You obviously do not understand "employment at will". The employer doesn't need any reason in order to decide to fire you in such a situation. If they find you had a firearm in your vehicle, they will just exercise their option of firing you BECAUSE, and state no reason at all.

Top Bottom