• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So what do you prefer for technique, and what have you found that works for you in terms of training?

For me, I use a thumbs forward grip, and recently Dale Hunnicutt told me that the idea is to use the weak-side hand canted with your wrist locked as the primary aspect of recoil reduction. Seems to work, but I need more forearm strength. I might try shooting weak-side to see if it's a strength issue.

Recently I've started to heel the gun a bit. I started doing this when I got my Glock, which coincided with a drought in trigger time. I found the best thing for me was to put myself in the actual situation (ie. standing at the firing line, looking at a target) and dry-firing. It took about 5 dry fires to make myself not heel the gun, and I also noticed that every so often I'd dig my fingers into it and pull it off target.

At 7 - 10 yards I'm usually 2 - 3" high from heeling, but on target horizontally.

I bought some 9mm snap caps to work with, going to put them in at random in my hi-cap mags so I can't remember where they are.

I bought the Glock, in part, to get used to a light double action trigger. Next on my list is a Sig, which I can't shoot correctly to save my life.
    Hurley's Gold

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    good way i practice is dry firing with a coin on top of my slide. work on doing it over and over and over without letting the coin fall.

i also like to practice with targets that have the 8inch circle. helps pull me away from concentrating on being a bullseye shooter. we all know the basics of shooting nice tight groups, given that time is on your side. defensively, i work on seeing my sights, acquiring my target, and doing it in the shortest amount of time possible.

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    It is essential to correctly lock your two hands together depending on the way your hand size and form depends on grip. I have found using the weak hand canted down works fairly well as long as it locks well with your dominate thumb and palm with out any movement. If there is movment the problem will be consisitenisy which leads to poor accuracy overall. The best training techique if your heeling the gun would be have someone to work with you with the snap caps doing "ball and dummy" technique. If you dont have a partner get a revolver load one live round the rest snap caps and spin cylinder so you dont know firing order. Hope this helps!

The coin test also works well but if your heeling the gun it may not be the best solution as that is a psychological reflex movement. The coin test is best when you have slopy tigger pull it forces you to be smooth and no jerky movements.

If you have a heeling problem..... after you shoot every mag during life fire switch back to doing dry fire for 4-5 shots this will trick your brain up. Also if you ever notice your heeling or jerking stop live fire and do some dry fire this will train your brain reflexes which is what is causing all of your problems.

Hope this has helped!

In Liberty,
    Stockton

diverge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Houston, TX
    For me, I use a thumbs forward grip, and recently Dale Hunnicutt told me that the idea is to use the weak-side hand canted with your wrist locked as the primary aspect of recoil reduction. Seems to work, but I need more forearm strength. I might try shooting weak-side to see if it's a strength issue.

Thumbs forward grip is thumbs pointing forward. The Leatham/Enos grip is the thumbs forward with the support hand canted and wrist locked. The support hand also squeezes side to side. You want it to manage the recoil.

Cup your fingers like your holding a handgun. Tense the fingers like your squeezing the grip. Move your trigger finger. Notice the difference with a lot and a little tension.

http://www.oregonshooting.com/vids/grip2.wmv

Top Bottom