• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Hello All, Merry Christmas!

I'm looking to get a reputable gunsmith in the SA area (NOT DFW, Houston, Austin, Mordor, or End of God's Creation area please :D), who replaces/installs both the front and rear sight on a CZ-75 type handgun. Inletting for the rear sight is already present, as the pistol was given an "upgraded" sight job before I purchased the gun -- the problem is they are target sights that stick up in the air a mile long, AND the rear sight has fallen right out of its inlet slot.

I'd like to get them replaced with something else a little more low-profile if possible, even though I'm thinking that the size of the dovetailing the last smith did will make replacement with anything smaller impossible. While I'm on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy sight sets, if replacement becomes an option?

Thanks!
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    What part of town are you in? I've been talking with the guys at the Gun Shack in Helotes (NW SA) about installing new sights on my XD. That's a great gun store and the only issue I'm having is deciding which sights to put on it!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Bracken Guns in is your area, off Nacadoaches. A little further west and north is Patten Guns in Bulverde. Very good guys there.

If you go to Bracken then hit the Bracken Store Cafe afterward for a burger! They're only open from 11 :00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday and Friday night until 7:30 PM, and take cash or local checks only; but it's well worth it!

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Update:

A good friend of mine ended up going to Nagel's gun shop yesterday on an unrelated matter and offered to let me tag along, so I took the CZ with me to get it fixed.

One of the gentlemen there was able to fix the gun within 30 minutes of my showing up. Turns out there were a set of screws used to hold it into place that came undone, and they were able to fix and re-align the rear sights for $10.83 taxes included -- although I might've been able to do the job myself if I had an Allen wrench that small, I'm pleased with the results.

While I was there, I was also quoted $110 for a complete replacement job of a new set of good night sights. Anybody know what the going rate is elsewhere?

(Note: If Bracken Guns is the place I'm thinking of, I've been there once before -- I wish I'd known they did smith work before yesterday, or I may have gone there sooner.)

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Hey guys, first post here.

I've heard from people that most shops will simple charge around 10 bucks to remove and replace sights on a pistol. But every time I've contacted a smith or shop I'm told that it's going to cost anywhere from $50-$150 for the work. Am I just checking the wrong places or is what I heard mis-information?

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio

I do not know where you got your information from, but unless the gun has sights that are designed to be removed with minimal tooling (IE: screws) then you are probably looking at the regular $75+ per machine hour of work.

In my case, the sight was designed to be removed by screws that had to be tightened to keep it in place -- whoever had it before me did a poor job of selecting a sight for it. Had I had the tools small enough to tighten it myself, I would have done so.

Tremors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    San Antonio
    That's cheap for night sights and installation. I have been putting a lot of night sights on lately and I can't get even get them for that price with a discount.

Top Bottom