• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Well whatever our opinions are about the whole situation, glad nothing further happened. Seems like a situation that could have went south really quick if it were a knuckle head driving instead of you
    Gun Zone Deals

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well whatever our opinions are about the whole situation, glad nothing further happened. Seems like a situation that could have went south really quick if it were a knuckle head driving instead of you

Yeah I know what you mean. I dont hassle them if I got pulled over I most likely did something, and being kind has gotten me way farther than anyone I know who acts like a prick to them.

I agree he went overboard, but can also see that being such a small department where nothing happens maybe he got excited, and went over the line. At the same time I almost cant blame him with some of the crazy folks in this world you cant really trust anyone. I tried to look at it from both sides, like I said before Im not out to start anything just curious if anyone else had experienced it. Im kind of weird I guess but I didn't feel threatened really I get the guy wants to go home at night, but I figured it wasnt a normal situation either.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Since I have had my CHL, I have been stopped probably 10 times. I always gave them my DL, CHL, and my insurance. They always ask where my gun is, and I tell them, and they always tell me to keep my hands on the wheel (they already were) and to not reach in that area.

I have never been drawn down on, or even asked for my gun. Ever. And that's big city cops, DPS, small city cops, sherrifs in Dallas and smaller counties.

I always have all three of those items out before the cop ever gets to my door.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Since I have had my CHL, I have been stopped probably 10 times. I always gave them my DL, CHL, and my insurance. They always ask where my gun is, and I tell them, and they always tell me to keep my hands on the wheel (they already were) and to not reach in that area.

I have never been drawn down on, or even asked for my gun. Ever. And that's big city cops, DPS, small city cops, sherrifs in Dallas and smaller counties.

I always have all three of those items out before the cop ever gets to my door.

tried but couldnt get my wallet out...im 6'6 330 in a small truck I have to open my door and do a weird lean stretch to get it out. He stopped and was pretty much at my door instantly I didnt want to freak him out....the other time I was pulled over I had my stuff out since my wallet was on my console

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Sounds like you handled it right. Even if he had been less polite on the verbal side, the same course of action would have been best.

I noticed you said you complied because of his politeness(besides the gun part). Keep in mind that the police do have legal authority to disarm CHL holders on a stop and there has been nothing hold weight in fighting against it. Whether anyone here agrees with it, refusing to hand over the weapon would be a losing battle.

I agree he went overboard with the gun drawing and all. Maybe he had a bad experience and doesn't take any chances now.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He walked up before I could get my CHL/License(Im crammed into my truck so its a pain to get my wallet out) and my pistol is on the same side so I put my hands on the wheel and told him I had a CHL my pistols in my holster right by my wallet. would it be alright if I got my CHL/DL out. and he brabbed his pistol and stepped back with it pointed at my door(towards my torso). He told me to slowly grab my pistol and give it to him so i pinched the slide below the rear sight and handed it to him muzzle away from him, and informed him the chambers empty but check it(Remembered I forgot to load one...dumb ass).

He wasnt rude or anything the whole time it was just an odd situation. I figured this wasnt completely normal, but was curious if anyone else had this happen.

It is MORE than not normal. It is perfectly legal for law abiding citizens to carry handguns in their motor vehicles. You seem to be a lot calmer than would be. You have several options. Contact the department and file a complaint. You might contact the DA in the county, as well.

It might not hurt to contact a civil lawyer.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He walked up before I could get my CHL/License(Im crammed into my truck so its a pain to get my wallet out) and my pistol is on the same side so I put my hands on the wheel and told him I had a CHL my pistols in my holster right by my wallet.

Figures.

Rule 1 - Never tell a cop you have a gun. The law does not require you tell him you have a gun. He had not even asked you for ID yet and you are threatening him ("I have a gun" is often seen as a threat to a cop making a stop.).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    AKMike, what you experienced, as described, is not reasonable.

Its a great way for a cop to provoke a reason to shoot somebody. Instruct them to grab their weapon?

Why not separate them from their weapon if its a concern?

Wonder if eventually ill get shot when they see VETERAN on my CHL and my Gadsden flag... I mean just connect the dots and be reasonable, i must be one of "those"...hmmm. I guess i shouldnt have rolled through that stop sign.

Seriously glad you didnt get shot. That could have turned out a lot worse if you did anything differently.

I hope he was holding is gun at the low ready and not directly pointed at you at least.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Figures.

Rule 1 - Never tell a cop you have a gun. The law does not require you tell him you have a gun. He had not even asked you for ID yet and you are threatening him ("I have a gun" is often seen as a threat to a cop making a stop.).

Were this 1996 I would agree. Based on the POV presented here, the officer over-reacted.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Its a great way for a cop to provoke a reason to shoot somebody. Instruct them to grab their weapon?

Why not separate them from their weapon if its a concern?

Wonder if eventually ill get shot when they see VETERAN on my CHL...hmmm

**sigh*** It is not unreasonable for the officer to ask the person to hand the firearm to the officer.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Were this 1996 I would agree. Based on the POV presented here, the officer over-reacted.

My contrarian view is the cop made a stop, and before he even said anything to the driver, the drivers first words are "I have a gun".

As you often point out, do you know what the cop knows? Did you see all the BOLOs and Amber alerts that cop was given just prior to the stop? Perhaps there were other indicators that alerted the cop something was wrong.

I doubt you or any other instructor recommends this route of dialogue with a cop on a stop.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No, its not.

I am thoroughly convinced you are/were the same kind of LEO my dad was. Honest, hard working, and have a healthy level of common sense.
    What you do not seem to get( or maybe you are in denial over) is that things like the OP describe are very much common place these days and no amount of reporting it to their superiors is going to change the behavior ( unless it is caught on camera and can embarrass the department)

The prevailing attitude in LE these days is more "as long as the officer goes home safe" than protect and serve.

Top Bottom