Join TexasGunTalk

Pistol training recommendations

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by erik087, Oct 21, 2013.

1. erik087

erik087 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Hey everyone, first post here. Are there any particular people or businesses that you'd recommend for pistol training?

I'm fairly new to pistols (about 9 months) and while I'm comfortable with safety, handling, etc., I know I need some training and correction on my marksmanship. I can get some decent shots/groups, but not greatly consistent.

I have a Sig P220 that is for both range and home defense. I'm active duty and have only been here about a year, so I'm still not familiar with a lot of the places.

I have a business card from Gun Training San Antonio that I picked up at Blackhawk, and a brochure for Texas Professional Firearms Training. Any opinions on these or other training providers you'd be willing to share?

My training priorities are: marksmanship, CHL, home defense / tactical shooting.

Thanks for any experience you guys can share!

-Erik

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

2. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Howdy, I'm sure others on here can tell you places to go to get quality training from a professional in your area. As far as practicing on your own, pistol-training.com has many many drills you can do on your own that were developed by some top names in the business. They are a good resource as well for continuing to develop what you learn.

3. BigBoss0311

BigBoss0311 Well-Known

Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Sorry , double post

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
  5. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Reality Defense

Teaches classes in Pleasanton, just south of San Antonio. There are lots of good teachers. Lots of bad ones too.

6. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I have given active duty troops no-cost firearms instruction for the past fifteen years. Student only provides firearm, ammunition and pays range fees.

Call it coaching or mentoring. I don't take money from someone who wants to learn fundamentals.

Uncle Sam pays my retirement, and I like to pay it forward.

7. erik087

erik087 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome, thanks for all the recommendations...I'll check them all out.

ShortRound: Sounds like a great opportunity. Any coaching would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks guys.

8. pvtsnowball82

pvtsnowball82 Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    +1 for Criterion Tactical. Great guy, great training, good prices.