• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Just curious where you can buy bulk ammo in Austin (i.e. 500-1000 rounds). I don't mind ordering offloine if I need to, but I like to keep business local when possible to help out the local folks. I know Cabelas sells bulk, but I'm curious if there are other storefronts that sell .223/5.56 bulk cheap ammo. I am looking for stuff that I can shoot through my new AR that does not cost me a fortune,

Which brings up another point, what have you guys shot through your ARs? What cheap ammo works good for target shooting, and what is a good ammo if I want to keep a magazine or two loaded with personal protection?

This list of places can include the towns surrounding Austin (Bastrop, Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown, etc.).
    Target Sports

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I buy mine at GT Distributors. I paid $89 for 250 count bulk box of .45 and $370 for 1000 5.56 rounds. Unfortunately, they only sell to public safety employees and agencies. Know a cop, paramedic or firefighter?

Call Heritage Firearms and ask their prices, they seem pretty reasonable. Wolf 5.56 was $7/20.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I buy mine at GT Distributors. I paid $89 for 250 count bulk box of .45 and $370 for 1000 5.56 rounds. Unfortunately, they only sell to public safety employees and agencies. Know a cop, paramedic or firefighter?

Call Heritage Firearms and ask their prices, they seem pretty reasonable. Wolf 5.56 was $7/20.

+1 on GT if you are buying a firearm or a lot of other stuff sometimes they bend the poloicy on ammo.

as far as the wolf 5.56 for 7/20 you can beat that at academy

Just Geri

Well-Known
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe we can help sometime...

Just in case you don't find what you're looking for locally, feel free to contact us or check the website for current inventory. We usually have quite a selection in stock and it changes almost daily. If you don't see it call and ask me if I can get it. Here is a direct link to the ammo pages: Cope's Distributing

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    GT's policies seem to have changed a bit. They now have certain ammo marked as available for civilian sales. Even before then they rarely asked if you were LEO. Much like Glock, I think they get better pricing from some manufacturers and those are reserved for LEO. My bulk ammo used to come from gunshows, but I guess that ain't happening any more. I have bought remanufactured handgun ammo from Collins Cartridge and had good results with 9 & 45. From what I can tell he only runs 55gr stuff for the AR which doesn't do well out of my 1:7 barrel.

jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    I buy and sell guns and ammo. What brand of ammo are you looking at?

Hi Cool Breeze, I am always looking for decently priced 9mm ammo both for the range and for home defense. I don't really know enough to prefer a certain brand. I would like to know what you have available.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    GT sells almost everything to civilian, just called them.
    GT's is weird about that stuff. They have to buzz you in the front door...they used to make you flash a badge although that has gone by the way side in the last couple years.
    Then after the election they quit letting individual officers buy more than a couple boxes of ammo at a time...now they seem to be backing off of that a little. I really think it depends on what salesman you happen to get. I have really been lucky, everytime I go to pick up a department order, which is always 5-10 thousand rounds, they let me buy whatever I want for myself without question. I have been at the gun counter and heard them tell others that there is a limit on ammo.
    I have to say that either way they are my favorite place to buy guns and ammo....very knowledgeable and they usually have whatevr you want in stock....it is a gun nut's toy store.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Just curious where you can buy bulk ammo in Austin (i.e. 500-1000 rounds). I don't mind ordering offloine if I need to, but I like to keep business local when possible to help out the local folks. I know Cabelas sells bulk, but I'm curious if there are other storefronts that sell .223/5.56 bulk cheap ammo. I am looking for stuff that I can shoot through my new AR that does not cost me a fortune,

Which brings up another point, what have you guys shot through your ARs? What cheap ammo works good for target shooting, and what is a good ammo if I want to keep a magazine or two loaded with personal protection?

This list of places can include the towns surrounding Austin (Bastrop, Leander, Round Rock, Georgetown, etc.).
    If you want cheap it is hard to beat academy's monarch brand...

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Just got back from Cabela's and they have a lots of the bulk ammo in those green dry boxes. First time I have seen bulk Wolf 9mm there. Academy has a sale right now on the Monarch 9mm for $10.00 a box.

jumpdog789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Austin
    Just got back from Cabela's and they have a lots of the bulk ammo in those green dry boxes. First time I have seen bulk Wolf 9mm there. Academy has a sale right now on the Monarch 9mm for $10.00 a box.

BEWARE the Monarch on sale at Academy. A buddy of mine bought 600 rds last week. We went to the range and at least 3 of every 10 either misfired or fte. I would think it was the gun, but this was happening in his brand new Ruger SR9c and my Sig p225.

Top Bottom