• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Hey everyone so I am new to Texas been down here about of month relocated from Michigan. Won't lie already missing the cold mostly because I love cd weather camping. So I'm looking for info on good hiking trails and places to camp within maybe 2 hours of the Plano area. Usually I'm limited to just weekend getaways and hate burning an entire day just in travel. Now I'm used to the large mature trees of the national forests in northern michigan so I know this will be a change but hoping for enough standing timber to put up my hammock and spend a weekend relaxing. An area that can be hunted or fishes is a plus but just a pieceful ace to get away is the goal. All help welcomed, but please no commercial campsites that are more like parking lots than wderness thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I like Caddo grasslands, they have 2 decent lakes up there and lots of trails. I would avoid during hunting season. Same with LBJ grasslands.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Eisenhower state park on Lake Texoma has great camp sites and miles of trails. Lake Fannin (North of Bonham) is my absolute favorite spot to camp and hike because it is usually completely abandoned but it's closed right now because the Federal government cannot help but try to seize every inch they can. Lots of good camping along the Blue River in Oklahoma. Bonham state park is good because it is rarely crowded and has some neat trails. The grasslands as mentioned above are great. Coffeemill lake in northern Fannin County is a great spot as well.

There are lots of others but that should get you started.

tango5seven

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    DFW
    Ray roberts state park north of Denton is my go to camping.

Our motorcycle group has a bunch of tree hangers an they have plenty of trees to put up their hammocks

Sent from Cheyenne Mountain to confuse the NSA

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    May be a little more than two hours but if you check out davy crockett national forest its wotth the drive. One of my favorite getaways. The recreation area is shut down due to a tornado but they have a twenty mile trail and its very peaceful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ny700

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    Just wondering are most of these places restrictive regarding campsites, as in specific spots between the markers only using provided fire pits and so on. Or are you free to hike in get lost of the trail and set up camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtyler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Peeltown
    Davy crockett is wonder in ans get lost outsife the rec area. State parks are very restrictive. They have twnt pads and fire pits and the ones ive been to dont allow you to gather firewood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom