Packet Mailed 5-19-09
    DPS rec'd Packet 5-21-09
    Check Cleared 5-28-09
    PIN received via USPS 6-26-09
    Status Processing application
    wife's plastic in hand 9-11-09 110 days
    9-18-09Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
    9-23-09 PLASTIC IN HAND

woohoo 122 days from date DPS rec'd package YAY of course i'm working so I cant Wally walkit today, but she brought it to me at work so at least its on my person now (CHL that is, not the gun) Tomorrow I'll be
    Venture Surplus ad

81aggie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    San Antonio
    Congratulations! 122 days was a long wait. I just mailed my packet on Monday 9/21 so have a way to go before I can make the same post. Again, congrats on the plastic

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Just talked to one of my students who got hers Monday, she lives in Harris county, it took SEVEN WEEKS!!!!!

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    Congrats.......
    biggrin.gif

Rules for the "Wally Walk"

So you got your CHL.

We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!

1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG’s (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.

1A). Upon exiting car, surrepititiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt

2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O’Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.

3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what’s new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.

4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.

5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.

6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam’s cola. If McD’s is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go’s or you will be disqualified.

7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG’s might be.

8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.

9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200

10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Packet mailed June 20th, had to redo part of the application (they had a question on some dates), then had to redo prints. I'm not holding my breathe just because the web site says its good. I'll be jumping around when plastic is in my hand.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Ok Jason's Deli was first stop, no issues
    Academy run through twice, bending over to look at multiple items, no issues - restroom trip also in there
    Select Comfort store (sleep number beds) no issues
    trip to the range (i definately gotta practice reholstering)
    Daycare - unarmed
    home rearmed
    Walmart for well over an hour with a 4 year old, McD's, Pharmacy, Sporting Goods, Automotive, electronics, baby clothes, food isles, back to sporting goods, back to baby clothes, out the door, and home no issues

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    took my renewal course late march, got the new card in 75 days ... not speedy, but a lot less than many of you ... wish I could understand how some speed through, some are buried in quicksand ... must be my good looks ...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Congrats on you new plastic. Looks like you've got the carry thing figured out. I can usually spot guys that are carrying at Wal Mart. They're the ones standing around the ammo case

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    took my renewal course late march, got the new card in 75 days ... not speedy, but a lot less than many of you ... wish I could understand how some speed through, some are buried in quicksand ... must be my good looks ...

I suspect it might have to do mostly with the number of agencies they have to get background checks from, and whether or not the applicant had to submit more info or resubmit photos/prints.

I think I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that they started doing electronic background checks, and this was significantly speeding up the process. The fastest I've seen a license issued is 31 days, and most of the faster approvals are from applications submitted as of August.

DPS received my packet on 09/17 and in my case, I've only had one address and four employers in the last 10 years. I'd also been arrested twice in California ("failure to appear" for some traffic tickets, and "exhibition of speed").

The only sticking point on the arrests are that I don't remember exactly what years they happened in - about 30 years ago for the failure to appear, and over 20 years ago for the other thing. I called both associated agencies and they don't keep records for that kind of stuff beyond seven years. I'm not sure how DPS will handle that since a) it happened so long ago, b) didn't happen in Texas, and c) were low-level non-violent misdemeanors, but I didn't recall the exact years they happened (and couldn't get that info from the responsible agencies). On my app, I put a 2-year date range.

I'm hoping that the fact that I fully disclosed (and even submitted a San Antonio PD background check) will keep the skids greased, and that my application will be completed by mid/late October.

Top Bottom