• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello everyone. Yesterday my girlfriend decided to pick up a dog through Austin Pets Alive to temporarily foster. His previous owner was ailing in health and could not keep him anymore. He is a really well behaved dog and very affectionate. His only problems are he is very picky with other dogs he can get along with and he is part "Whippet" so he really wants to chase small animals, even though he is kind of fat. He is 8 years old but still very active. He does not show any separation anxiety or attempts to chew up furniture.

Here is my Facebook post on him since apparently the photos are too large to put on here.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.meleck/posts/676179803377?notif_t=like

I got both of my current dogs from APA and I have fostered for them several times. He is available for "foster" or "adoption". Right now they do not have room for him at the shelter that is why we took him in. If you are interested in adopting him I can help you get in touch with them.

Thanks for reading.
    DK Firearms

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Wish I could help with the adoption, but got too many dogs right now, LOL.

To help with the issue of other dogs, have you taken him to a dog park?

We frequent a few in our area and it's helped herselves pack a lot in getting along with other dogs. Also met some good folks and talked guns to a few guys (one in particular who was a real hoot at the LaPorte city dog park).

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    We have been working with our dogs. They are better than when we first got them, but they still have issues. Bengal also doesn't like over excited dogs and he is a little unhappy having to leave his "home" and previous owner so we haven't wanted to push it.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Aww. He looks like a good pooch. Does he do well outside? Like sleep in an igloo?

I would assume so. We have only had him for 2 days and we live in Hyde Park so not much outside, but he was living about an hour East of Austin somewhere outside of Hutto and apparently spent a lot of time outside. He really likes people a lot and seems to quickly calm down. The people at APA had him for some time so if you were interested they would be able to give you a much better history than I can. We are just helping since they have no room at the moment. Just PM me and I will get you all the details and who to ask for and such.

Almost forgot, the guy who had him I think kept him outside a lot because he said Bengal liked to chase the small animals on his property. So I would assume he would do fine, but if you have cats or something might want to think about that. He is fat but faster than he looks.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes he seems wary of dogs. Supposedly he is ok but he does not even like our one dog, actually a lab, who usually gets along with most dogs. He is so good with people and housebroken I'm not too worried about his chances.

I am taking him to an adoption day thing tomorrow if anyone wants to meet him with APA present. I guess you could probably adopt him there. PM me if you need info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    View attachment 27798 View attachment 27799

Begnal will be going to the APA shelter come Sunday if no one adopts or fosters him before then. He will still be up for adoption there, but he sure does like being with people a lot. Even if you don't aim to adopt him you can foster him and help him along to another home. I would offer to APA to continue fostering him, but I'm afraid I would end up keeping him after that. He is a great dog for anyone who wants just one dog. I have been taking him to the APA adoption events the last few days and he does well with everyone, even children. He just likes people. So, if you know someone who might want a dog please pass it on. Even if they aren't sure they can just foster him for a little. Thank you.

Top Bottom