Guns International

!!!PLEASE HELP!!! Canted AK 47 front sight block. Unique problem.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Hello. I have a unique problem with my AMD 65's front sight block. Luckily it is not connected to the gas block, so I don't have to worry about that.

I had that AK zeroed, beautifully, shortly after I had it. The windage was right in the center and the gas block was strait. OUT OF NO WHERE, and I do not recall hitting it hard enough, or anything that would cause this, the rifle is off zero. So I commence to zeroing it back in. It takes the windage to be as far left as possible. It can't go anymore, so if the post was canted even a hair, I would not be able to zero my rifle. I tried to smack the post back a little, but it wouldn't budge. So I don't know what could have caused this.

I know that a canted post is no big deal as long as it can be zeroed with windage adjustments. I don't mind the funky look. The thing that is bugging, first, is that I don't know how the gas block is so tight on there, but somehow became canted. I am afraid and confident that it will cant even more, to the point where windage won't help. So I was thinking about putting it into a vice and giving it a hammering.

I have tried a couple of local gun shops with no luck. There are only two that I got ahold of that had a gunsmith. One would have my rifle for, "a few months". Not an option. The other literally could not understand that AKs exist with front sights that aren't connected to the gas block and didn't know how to tell me if they could fix it, or not. They had me on hold for 15 minute intervals and every new employee would get dumber. One came back and started telling me the price of a gas block, after 5 minutes of me explaining to him that I needed the sight post uncanted and it had nothing to do with the gas block. I explained to another, in the simplest way possible that I just needed the front post aligned, it would have nothing to do with the gas port, and all they had to do was move it to the left a couple of millimeters or so. I guess he got so brain dead, he just hung up on me. Then when I called back and asked to speak with a person who had enough experience with firearms and could answer my questions, he told me I, "wasn't experienced enough to get the name of the guy that hung up on me", and just started saying bizarre, irrelevant things obviously aimed to try and piss me off. I just hung up. This place is gun central, in El Paso TX. Never going there again. Hahaha, this reminds me, and sorry I'm babbling now, but I asked an employee to hand me a Del Ton AR 15 off of the wall and he gave me a WASR 10. I informed him of his mistake so he changed the subject to try and sell me an ak that he "spray painted to be invisible to the naked eye in the woods". No woods around these parts. Anyway, my point is these guys are beyond strange and I am out of options for professional help.

SO! Please advise me. Should I take the hammer to it? If it moves a hair, it will be permanently unzeroable, until I get it uncanted and/or rely on my Aimpoint T1, which is not an option and I will not rely solely on it. Irons are the most important of the two, to me.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate ANY help. God bless.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Rapidrob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    Albuquerque
    This is a common problem with the AMD series rifles. I have built several of them and the front sight has always been a problem with the parts kits.
    What you will need to do is to knock out the front sight pins and leave them out for now.
    Go to the range and sight in at 100 yards ( 200 yards is much better) Make sure the sight is centered in the ears. Fire at least three shots from the bench at your target. Take a plastic hammer and move the sight over until you are hitting the center of your target. Once you have done this mark the sight tower and barrel for this new zero. Have a COMPETENT gun smith re-drill the pin holes. Your good to go.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Thank you for the response. Does it matter that this was a built TGI AMD on an FEG receiver, not parts kit? Also, any way to factor out a gunsmith? If I HAD to pay one, I'd rather send it out of town to one. Thanks.

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    Use a decanter.
    It's the perfect tool.
    Use it until it is empty, then you'll be ready to use a hammer.
    u9asezu8.jpg

Sent from my AN/PRC-77 using Tapatalk.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    It's defective, sell it to me! :D

Well I'll just GIVE it to you. Send me your address. Meanwhile, I'll be getting it ready for packaging. Oiling it up with my pooh and all that stuff. Harharhar...

Use a decanter.
    It's the perfect tool.
    Use it until it is empty, then you'll be ready to use a hammer.
    u9asezu8.jpg

Hahaha, ^ that's funny.

This. I'll pay full retail post panic. I love my AMD-65. Hope I don't run into this problem.

Yea me too, but if you do, let me know. I'm usually good at recalling what could have caused a problem. The only thing I can think of is:

Since the muzzle device is welded to the front sight post and not pinned in, I'm wondering if the muzzle device rotates on the threads and takes the post with it. Now that I think about it, I may have to break that weld to hammer the post back. SHYOT! I love this rifle though, much better than the AR platform, so it'd be worth it to me to have it fixed. If it went poop, I'd just buy another one. In fact, I'm getting another one ANYWAY. When I'm not broke...

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Well I'll just GIVE it to you. Send me your address. Meanwhile, I'll be getting it ready for packaging. Oiling it up with my pooh and all that stuff. Harharhar...

Hahaha, ^ that's funny.

Yea me too, but if you do, let me know. I'm usually good at recalling what could have caused a problem. The only thing I can think of is:

Since the muzzle device is welded to the front sight post and not pinned in, I'm wondering if the muzzle device rotates on the threads and takes the post with it. Now that I think about it, I may have to break that weld to hammer the post back. SHYOT! I love this rifle though, much better than the AR platform, so it'd be worth it to me to have it fixed. If it went poop, I'd just buy another one. In fact, I'm getting another one ANYWAY. When I'm not broke...

Have you seen them in stock anywhere? I'd love to have another, just not for $800-1000.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I've seen em often enough on forums for around 700. My local gun dealer who runs the business out of his house, sells them for 550 still. He doesn't get em as often but it's one of the reoccurring firearms he sells. The only one I have seen for more than 700 was the one my brother bought, which had the krebs adapter, an ace stock, MI rail, different flash hider, and 4 steel mags. So it was still a good deal at 850, although that krebs adapter is too damn long. I'll PM you if I spot a good deal, if you'd like, AND if I don't buy it. Muahahahahaaaa.

I modded the crap out of mine, so I want one that I can keep simple.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Smear your shit all over it, I don't care; I've been looking to get one lately and the market has dried up completely. I've removed enough cosmoline in my life that some crap isn't going to bother me at all...

Top Bottom