Military Camp

Please post your funny hunting or varminting story or even a whopper about hunting or varminting to amuse folks here.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I+am+not+amused_220afc_3250512.gif

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Well, I'll try mine now. Is it true or is it a lie, uhm, whopper??...only you will have to decide.....

a tale from Roadkill Digest, Abridged, no US copyright date, author unknown

Back in 2005, the summer of, true story, my older brother killed a skunk with his 360 Magnum. This was on Highway 55 near Donnelly, Idaho at night. This weapon of his was a Dodge brand and manufactured by Chrysler. It was an automatic weapon , the Ram 1500 Sport model, by the way, which bore a bighorn ram head medallion on its stock butt. The aforementioned skunk was killed at surprisingly low velocity: 88 fps. My brother's weapon's built-in chronograph revealed this. This odd chronograph measures weapon velocity in MPH, however. 60 MPH translates to 88 FPS. Remingtons might be called 700 or 870, Winchesters might be called 1873, 1894 or Model 70 but my brother's Dodge weapon was definitely a 1500. Since it was also a Ram weapon it probably would have been great for hunting sheep. His big weapon was mounted on a carriage (cannons are also mounted on carriages) with traction on all four wheels for possibly climbing those high mountains in sheep country.

Was this "automatic" weapon even a select-fire weapon?? ... maybe???....it had a lever with P, R, N, D, 2 and 1 positions marked on it.......what could those markings stand for?....P for kill porcupines??, R for Rhinos??, N for kill nasty critters???, D for kill deer???, 2 for killing animals with two different colors such as skunks??, 1 for first as in "Safety First" therefore the safe position???....after all, an AR-15 weapon usually is marked with S for SAFE and F for FIRE.

Anyway, back to the main theme of this story. Fortunately, my brother did not get tagged by the state police or by the game warden for varminting on a public highway and especially so between the hours of dusk until dawn and with at least one light attached to his weapon and no valid hunting license. I have to confess my brother was a bit overgunned for such small critters. I've used a .25-06 Remington weapon called Browning for ground squirrels and that might even be par for the course for skunk as well. My Browning was definitely not an automatic. It had a handle that turned and pulled with a round knob on the end of it: it might have been a column shift, maybe?? Funny thing is, my Browning had no clutch pedal.

Note- This thread was inspired by the Sheriff in Deputy Dawg:

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There was that time I was hunting...........nope, can't tell that one.

Then one time I took a girlfriend hunting and we.......can't tell that one either.

And once I was hunting and......damn, not this story either.

Okay, I got nothing. :what::facepalm:
    A buddy of mine dragged his then girlfriend out to a place we bow hunted. He borrowed a foam seat cushion from me. When they returned my cushion was not included. The land owner & had a great time that weekend jacking with him about why my cushion went missing. When he said he would buy me a new on I told them to concider it an engagement present.

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    View attachment 223374

Lower crawling to get on game
    My grandfather told me when I was 13 that there was more to life than hunting and fishing. He had a plow mule's work ethic. I had one old uncle who said he never did that huntin' and fishin' stuff. He had the work ethic of a team of oxen at a logging camp. These days some guys only live for hunting and/or fishing.
    1597106547866.png

1597106723746.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom