• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Means it is loaded hotter than than standard 38. Mo' betta' punch.
    Dont use it in older guns.
    Most all modern made guns are rated for it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What he said.

It is a step above standard .38 Special but nowhere near .357 Magnum.

It is the same size as .38 Special so it will chamber in .38 Special guns.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    as an add.....there's also a 9mm NATO, which is basically a +P (roughly 10% pressure increase over standard 9mm) - locally, those "in the know" don't recommend "range shooting" +P/NATO thru the smaller pistols (like the sig p938) - I do "carry" it in my 938 however

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I would like to know how "old" a gun has to be to be warned not to shoot +P ammo through. FWIW I carry and use HST +P 230 45ACP and have used similar in a 92FS. It takes some practice to learn to control the extra snap but its not a big deal. The increase in performance isn't as much as its hyped up to be unless you are looking at comparing range ammo to +P+.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    They used to stamp guns +P when they were rated for the load. It is certainly snappier on the wrist than a standard load. Is snappier a word? In other words I can feel a difference in recoil.

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    SAMMI specs for +p came about in 1974. Any medium or small frame revolver made before that time should not use +p ammo. The exception would be large frame (Colt New Service, S&W N frame)as these could handle the more powerfull .38 "high speed", "high velocity", ".38/44" loads(all discontinued). 38spc +p is loaded to a lower pressure/velocity than the old high speed 38/44 load to be allowed in modern medium frame revolvers.

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    .38 Special + P should not be used in Smith and Wesson K frame revolvers manufactured before 1958 and may be identified by the absence of a model number stamped in the yoke cut of the frame.

The current crop of +P .38 Special only runs approx. 18.5K (CPU) compared to the recognized standard of 17K, certainly not something to be overly concerned about. In truth, +P loads help get this round up off it's knees and there are some excellent loads available to choose from.

In addition, as a young FLEO 30 years ago I shot hundreds of Govt. issued Winchester and Federal 110 grain +P+ "Treasury" loads thru a vintage 1940's S&W M&P Victory Model with precisely zero problems..

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    SAMMI specs for +p came about in 1974. Any medium or small frame revolver made before that time should not use +p ammo. The exception would be large frame (Colt New Service, S&W N frame)as these could handle the more powerfull .38 "high speed", "high velocity", ".38/44" loads(all discontinued). 38spc +p is loaded to a lower pressure/velocity than the old high speed 38/44 load to be allowed in modern medium frame revolvers.

Not that I doubt your comments but did mfg's of these revolvers or pistols suddenly change their processes to strengthen their products after 1974?

Kingsnake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Houston
    Who knows?

My response specifically addresses +P .38 Special ammunition in S&W K Frame revolvers ONLY.

Forget 1974, SAAMI was created in 1926 at the behest of the US Govt in order to standardize different levels of Chamber Pressure Units (CPU) for commercially loaded ammo and coordinate technical data with firearms manufacturers.

Those vintage revolvers were made stronger than you realize, and gun manufacturers were well aware the handloaders of the time often "hot-rodded" their rounds. Furthermore, HOT factory handgun ammo and hollowpoints have been around over 50 years, ie. 38/44 and Super Vel (1963).

If you are going to be worried about +P ammunition you need to familiarize yourself with each manufacture's +P warnings for their firearms; post 1958 Smith and Wesson K frame revolvers are rated for +P .38 Special rounds.

The Way is beneath your feet..

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not that I doubt your comments but did mfg's of these revolvers or pistols suddenly change their processes to strengthen their products after 1974?

They might not have changed manufacturing... or maybe they changed something as esoteric as heat treatment methods. Who knows?

What they probably did change were their proof loads.

Top Bottom