Pocket Carry. What, How, and Where?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by pheet17, Oct 8, 2009.

1. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Title pretty much sums it up. I know many of you have Kel-Tec, Ruger, Sig, etc. "pocket guns". So, how do you carry them?

I have a Ruger LCP that I keep in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster. Usually carry it in front pocket on strong side when wearing shorts. IF the weather ever turns and I start wearing jeans, I was considering back pocket.

So what do you do? Apply your :2cents: here.

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I have a kel-tec that I don't like but have been considering a Ruger LCP or LCR for a BUG. Not sure if I'd pocket carry thought

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    For me, pocket carry is too slow and cumbersome for a primary carry piece.

4. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Mines not my primary piece, but when throwing on some shorts and running the store I grab it rather than strapping on a belt and carrying my P220.

5. Maxpower

Maxpower Active Member

May 26, 2009
    LCP in an Uncle Mike's #3 in front pocket

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Man, you are as likely to face an attacker then as any other time. I just can't get past that.......

I think, if you are gonna pocket carry, a S&W Chief is a good choice.

7. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    And that is why I grab it as opposed to leaving the house with nothing.

8. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I don't mean to make you defensive. :gotme:

Better one in the pocket than none, I agree. But how do you decide the cumbersomeness and slowness of pocket carry is acceptable for those times? :confused:

I gather there are times that you decide to carry in a fashion faster and more accessable than pocket carry? How do you discern?

Have you been to the range and tried to draw from the pocket and fire, using the types of shorts you throw on when you pocket carry?
    Again, I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong, I just don't want you to end up dead with you hand stuck in your pocket trying to pull that gun out.

If you are confident with your pocket carry skill set, then who am I to argue?

I still like the S&W Chiefs. ;)

9. pheet17

pheet17 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Not defensive at all, you make a good point. ;) And yes I've been to the range with it, while not the easiest of draws it is better than going without. Now back on topic, that is if anyone, like Maxpower, cares to add. By the way, thanks Max for keeping it simple and on point.

10. Hondo

Hondo Active Member

Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    My usual pocket carry is a LCP in a Meco pocket holster. It virtually disappears in the front pocket of my pleated slacks. Sometimes I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis, a little larger of course but it just looks like I am carrying my wallet in my front pocket.

Pocket carry is what I feel the most comfortable with while carrying at work and more formal occasions.