• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Title pretty much sums it up. I know many of you have Kel-Tec, Ruger, Sig, etc. "pocket guns". So, how do you carry them?

I have a Ruger LCP that I keep in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster. Usually carry it in front pocket on strong side when wearing shorts. IF the weather ever turns and I start wearing jeans, I was considering back pocket.

So what do you do? Apply your here.
    ARJ Defense ad

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I have a kel-tec that I don't like but have been considering a Ruger LCP or LCR for a BUG. Not sure if I'd pocket carry thought

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Mines not my primary piece, but when throwing on some shorts and running the store I grab it rather than strapping on a belt and carrying my P220.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Man, you are as likely to face an attacker then as any other time. I just can't get past that.......

I think, if you are gonna pocket carry, a S&W Chief is a good choice.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And that is why I grab it as opposed to leaving the house with nothing.

I don't mean to make you defensive.

Better one in the pocket than none, I agree. But how do you decide the cumbersomeness and slowness of pocket carry is acceptable for those times? :confused:

I gather there are times that you decide to carry in a fashion faster and more accessable than pocket carry? How do you discern?

Have you been to the range and tried to draw from the pocket and fire, using the types of shorts you throw on when you pocket carry?
    Again, I am not trying to tell you that you are wrong, I just don't want you to end up dead with you hand stuck in your pocket trying to pull that gun out.

If you are confident with your pocket carry skill set, then who am I to argue?

I still like the S&W Chiefs. ;)

pheet17

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Baytown, Texas
    Not defensive at all, you make a good point. ;) And yes I've been to the range with it, while not the easiest of draws it is better than going without. Now back on topic, that is if anyone, like Maxpower, cares to add. By the way, thanks Max for keeping it simple and on point.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    My usual pocket carry is a LCP in a Meco pocket holster. It virtually disappears in the front pocket of my pleated slacks. Sometimes I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis, a little larger of course but it just looks like I am carrying my wallet in my front pocket.

Pocket carry is what I feel the most comfortable with while carrying at work and more formal occasions.

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    <unserious tone> Why draw from a pocket? I would just shoot them from the pocket. Oh, you want my money?...BANG! End of story.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Well, first off, I carry an LCP in a Galco pocket holster which I customized. I cut off the wire around the top edge of the holster because I felt it printed too much, then I added too layers of this Koozie foam to make the overall print look like a wallet. This holster is well broke in, and if I want to remove the LCP "with" the holter I have to put one finger on the holster. As far as drawing it quickly, my shorts have very large pockets which allow me to put mu hand in and actually hold the pistol by the grip with my index finger in proper position, if I want the holster with the gun, my index holds the holster against the gun, if I want to draw into action, I don't press the holster, and the gun comes out clean with my finger in the proper indexed position. Many times when I felt like action may be upcoming, I keep my hand in my pocket, ready to draw. looks more natural than pulling up my shirt to put my hand on my .45 which rides in a JIT Slide. So...IMHO sometimes pocket carry is perfect, but like mentioned above, it better no be carried in a way that is hard to draw from. Mine is quicker than holsters covered by shirts. Now, if I had a choice between slinging .380's down range or the .45's, of course the .45 wins. But I know that LCP will go into action quick enough.

Now, on a side note, if the bad guy already has a gun on you, you're not winning that fast draw contest. Better to be aware and be ahead of the game.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    For those of you who pocket carry: When you carry pocket for BUG, do you carry strong or weak side? Just curious. I was thinking carrying a BUG weak side would be good so if your strong arm is injured you could still have back up with the weak side if necessary. thoughts?

cardenas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Alvin
    I carry a P 64 as a BUG in left side pocket (w/holster) My primary is on my right, strong side in a Blackhawk pancake holster, it is either a CZ 82 or a PA 63. Also one mag (mostly for malfunctions) left side in pouch for primary. Reason my BUG is in left side is because I use a cane to walk. I also practice with left hand, never know if right hand might be incapacitated.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't like pocket carry, but whem I'm not wearing a belt or not tucking in my shirt, I'll put a kel tec in my back pocket. . . . I can at least look like I'm going for my wallet. . . . I'm not sure if tht is a good thing. I usually have it in an Uncle mide holster.

Front pocket always felt weird to me. I always felt like I was printing way too much.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I pocket carry most of the year, given that it's so hot all I wear is shorts and a tank top. Kahr PM9 in a Miki or Smith 637 Airweight in a Nemesis. One of the advantages is that you can have your hand on the gun and nobody knows. Practicing the draw under those circumstances means you can have your gun out quickly without a BG knowing exactly what you're doing ...

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    For a BUG, I like weak side front pocket. My hand in my pocket looks innocent enough, but I have a good grip on 12 shots of .380 HP's. Instead of a holster, I customize the pocket by sewing a "pocket" in the pocket to keep the gun in a muzzle down orientation.

Top Bottom