• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey, guys. I'm newer to tiny handguns, and like the idea of carrying in a front pocket. I'd like to carry my J Frame that way. It's not hammerless if that matters.

Opinions? I'm just looking for an easy, comfortable and accessible way to carry and keep it concealed. It seems like a waste to get a belt holster for so little gun. I'm not very fond of the IWB carry method, either. Seems uncomfortable to me, and I'd have to buy a bunch of new pants... or drop more weight, but I don't think I have enough paunch to give me room to carry IWB comfortably.
    Guns International

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I have a S&W 642, hammerless, that I'd like to carry in my front pocket. Aside from refusing to buy bigger pants, I'm usually in blue jean, work boots, and have my work shirt tucked in. I've seen some paddle type, but have never held one.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You guys have holsters from those companies? I kind of like the pocketholsters.com site. Great idea on the videos.

I have a S&W 642, hammerless, that I'd like to carry in my front pocket. Aside from refusing to buy bigger pants, I'm usually in blue jean, work boots, and have my work shirt tucked in. I've seen some paddle type, but have never held one.

That's pretty much me, but I usually wear an untucked t- shirt.

Paddle holsters are nice, but seem like a bit much for something as small as a J-Frame. They work great for my P220. I've used two, one of 'em for day-long competitions, and was happy with how comfortable they were. The only down-side IMO is sitting. It's not really easy to readjust, and the paddle takes up a lot of territory on your hip joint.

Oh, and taking a leak with a heavy gun like a P220 on a paddle is a bit more of a different experience. You have to keep that weight from taking your pants to the floor for you.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    That's a nice one 5-0. Would like to see something in Houston. Have to slide it in and out of my pocket a few times. Any suggestions on where to go?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think we have a winner! Can hardly go wrong for ten bucks. :D

Wait... last time I said that, things went horribly wrong. But I'll give it a try anyway.

A_FIVE-O

Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    That's a nice one 5-0. Would like to see something in Houston. Have to slide it in and out of my pocket a few times. Any suggestions on where to go?

DCortez,

Comp-tac is in Houston, but no showroom. Most gun shops in Houston stock Comp-tac gear. Try Hoffners also, its next to Top Gun Range. I think Collector's Firearms have some nice holsters in their showroom. Kirkpatrick is usually made to order, but they have a lot of pre-made holsters in their showroom, but they are all the way in Laredo.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Recently visited Collectors for the first time and didn't see any holsters. Will ask next time. If you've never been, it's a pretty cool store to visit. Will have to check out Hoffner.

tex45acp

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    It aint pretty but it sure works well. The hook on the bottom keeps the holster in the pocket draw after draw and the metal around the top of the opening allows one handed re-holstering. I have been carrying my KelTec PF-9 in it for over a year now.

PF9_PocketHolster.jpg

Greenblur

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use a DeSantis Nemesis for my Ruger SP101 which fits the J-frame holster. It was $15 at Cabelas. It has some kind of texture or material on the exterior of the holster so it stays in your pocket if you need to pull the gun. The SP101 is not light, but it does well in the top pocket of cargo shorts or loose fitting jeans, but not good in dress pants. I'm debating on whether or not to go with a S&W Airweight for pocket carry. Either way, IWB is still the most comfortable for me, but pocket carry is convenient for quick trips to the store.

hoytinak

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    I tried the Nemesis and a couple of others like it but I prefer leather myself. I've only got one pocket gun (Seecamp LSW380) and when I carry it, I use one of these:

Front/right pocket, Galco (which is what I'm carrying as I type this).

or

Rear/right pocket, The Guru (pocketholsters.com)

bikerbill

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I generally use a DeSantis Nemesis for my PM9, but I heard such great things about Mika that I bought one (in January) and it's on its way, should be here next week ... I generally am only in cargo shorts during the summer (don't let anybody tell you retirement isn't heaven!) and pocket carry is a great way to go ...

Top Bottom