• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    For your edification, here is a side by side comparison of some of the smallest 9mm handguns on the market: Sig P938, S&W Shield, Beretta Nano, Keltec PF9, and Taurus PT709.

10064095815_7c40c0c16d_b.jpg

10064098025_95309999c1_o.jpg

10064197513_00f00aaa10_b.jpg

10064145616_1d83bcee9a_b.jpg

10064097255_07cecca761_b.jpg

A couple notes on trigger pull; here's where it gets a bit subjective.
    -The 938 is the most unpleasant... It's the heaviest pull and has sharp edges.
    -The PF9 has the longest pull and reset.
    -The Nano can be best described as Glock-ish.
    -The Shield has the nicest out of box trigger of this sample.
    -The PT709 is a bit odd... In double action it is very consistent at 6.5lbs, however you would never really use it in double action. The weird part is that the pull is heavier and not as consistent in single action. Not sure what to make of that one; perhaps it will get better as it wears in.
    update 09/20/14
    -The PT709 has not gotten any better. :p The trigger on it just feels weird and crappy to me.
    -I got the P938 to 6.5lbs with very little effort. It's is my favorite now.

update 10/03/13
    Just for giggles, here's the P938 and Shield compared to a real pocket pistol; a Beretta Tomcat...

10078104804_280f46dcef_c.jpg

...and compared against a not at all pocket sized, yet still compact officer 1911.

10078247713_5fc040a569_c.jpg

update 11/19/13
    Here's a PM9 sandwiched between a Shield and P938. You PM9 fans can thank coachrick!

10939737166_a4104236b6_c.jpg

10939737526_23c176d9d2_c.jpg
    Military Camp

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Shield is the heaviest and largest of the bunch, but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on your concealment method. The 938 is the most "pocket-able." The PT709 lives up to it's "Slim" name, but I think the PF9 is actually a hair narrower. The PF9 is definitely the lightest. My initial impression of the Nano was that it was rather mediocre, but after comparison to the others in the group it seems to be the most well rounded. Of course that means it doesn't really stand out in any category.

Price... This can vary a lot depending on when and where you pick them up, but here they are listed low to high for what I paid for them.
    -PF9
    -Nano and PT709
    -Shield
    -P938

Overall I think you get the most bang for your buck with the PF9, but if you want something a little nicer than a Keltec the Nano is a good value. Not sure why you'd buy the Taurus considering it's the same price as the Nano, unless someone gave you an Academy gift card;). You could buy two PF9s and a couple boxes of ammo for the price of a P938, but it would definitely be worth the extra monies if it only came from the factory with a 5lb trigger without sharp edges. The Shield is hard to come by because it is always sold out. I would say it's popularity is not unfounded. The prospect of putting an Apex kit in it makes it even more appealing.

Last edited:

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I really like my Shield with the Apex kit installed. I had a nano, and while I really like the "look" of the nano (and still look at the nano's in the case at Academy longingly), I ended up selling mine. I couldn't see a situation where I would carry the nano over the shield as it didn't really bring anything to the table.

Now if Beretta will get the Pico out, it may find it's way into my collection. I sold my last 380 (a Colt Mustang) simply because it was too heavy for pocket carry. I loved that gun, too. Sweet shooter, but feeding it was expensive.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    +1 on the shield we the trigger kit

Shot a pf9 last weekend, couldn't get over the trigger, the shield trigger OE was not as bad, the PF was horrible. Fondled a 938, really liked the break on the trigger, felt most 1911ish

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I'm not necessarily looking to replace my Kahr PM9; but, if I didn't have it, I'd be looking in this group for EDC. Thanks for the comparo. I like my SIG P229 so much that I'd likely lean toward the 938 first, even though they are totally different pistols.

stanjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    I have a Kahr MK9 and it is in the same size range. Expensive, but really nice little gun. I have to run mag extensions so my finger isnt slipping under the grip. Shoots fantastic and is pretty darned accurate for such a small gun. Heavier overall weight is actually a plus to me. I have shot a Taurus TCP and a micro-desert eagle (horrible piece of junk in my opinion, nothing but FTF and FTE) and this Kahr has the most manageable felt-recoil of the other pocket guns I've had, even though the others were 380's.
    Nice job with those pics, cool to see a side by side comparison.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I agree; it has a nice fit and finish and solid feel to it for it's price range.

The PPS is about $100 more than the Shield. What does it bring to table over the competitors.

Looking around a bit, it's not that hard to find a PPS under $500, and I've seen them fairly regularly around ~$450 used but in good condition, so not really a substantial price difference. New for new, not really a substantial difference in terms of quality.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    A very good comparison. You are to be commended. Not a big fan of the 9mm but this was very nice.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've seen them fairly regularly around ~$450 used but in good condition
    Let me know next time you do. I'd like to get one to try it out.

Y'all must have bigger pockets and stronger galluses to be able to support those in a reachable position.
    lol... no galluses needed; all the guns in this category are pretty light weight. The pants I usually wear do have roomy pockets, but you're right that most of these push that pocket carry boundary. The P938 really is pocket sized, however.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    I had a 238. Started off as a great gun, then started giving me lots of problems. Got sick of it, so I got rid of it. I've shot a 938 that couldn't get through a mag without a FTF or FTE. No way will I be buying a 938. As much as I like the trigger and controls, I'll stick with my shield.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Let me know next time you do. I'd like to get one to try it out.

lol... no galluses needed; all the guns in this category are pretty light weight. The pants I usually wear do have roomy pockets, but you're right that most of these push that pocket carry boundary. The P938 really is pocket sized, however.

A couple months ago GT's had a used one with all 3 mags (6, 7, and 8rd) for $475.

Top Bottom