• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machspass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    My understanding is Ruger pays Kel-Tec for the copycat design. The Kel-tec in my opinion is not as nicely finished. The LCP has smooth contours which facilitate concealed carry. You might try a local gun show to pick up an LCP. That's where I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise you're going to be on a waiting list 'til the cows come home. Great conceal carry pistol. A little difficult to shoot if you have big hands like mine.
    Lynx Defense

bertel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    South Austin
    I didn't read all 7 pages of the thread, but did look at Kel-Tec's website. They have some pockets that are heavier and some that are a lot lighter, but they have none more powerful (by a long shot) than the 11oz S&W 340pd. It's not cheap, but neither is life. I don't think I've ever heard a reliability argument that a revolver didn't win.

grumpybutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Spring
    ANKLE HOLSTER :( :rolleyes: Ya right. Stop and "think" how far away do you want your gun ? More than an arms length ? Ah it's your choice carry where ever.

randyc74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Northern Illinois
    I pocket carry a beretta Tomcat .32 and several S&W J-Frames. I also wear cowboys boots (have 15 pairs) I don't feel ankle carry would work with cowboy boots. Pocket carry is all about the cut of your trousers and size of your pockets.

holster2.jpg

grumpybutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Spring
    My .02 again, I know several people that own and carry Kel-Tec including the wife, no one has ever had a problem. As far as a concealable, I carry either my Kel-Tec .40 or MY Khar CW .40 in SOB.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm a fan of the compact size of Glocks. I can get less than a 3" group at 15 yards and I'm not exactly an expert or anything.

I know they aren't exactly pocket pistols, but I can conceal mine fairly reasonably.

!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I had a kel-tec and it was junk. I gave it a chance and fluffed and buffed it and finally got rid of it after about 1000 rounds and replaced it with an airweight j-frame. Some people love their kel-tecs, others try to shoot them regularly. I do know of one guy who does both, but I have complete trust in the j-frame and anything less than a pound, a few ounces doesn't matter to me. I alternate between a pocket holster, IWB, and beleive it or not a comfortable ankle holster, depending on what I am wearing and where I'm going. I don't remember what brand it is, it's from that guy at the gun shows in Dallas who talks with a tube. Why would one kind of holster always be best? Which would be better to draw from sitting in church for example, pocket, or ankle?

3AXBAT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    The Keltec 3AT and the Ruger LCP both require a firm grip to operate their best. Some individual guns seem more forgiving in that regard than other identical samples. It seems to be a case of "if you've got a good one, you've got a good one, if not, send it back until you do". I have not yet seen one of the Kahr or Taurus micro 380s, but I would expect about the same out of them. I hope to be pleasantly suprised.

I like the S&W J frames, but the Integrated Lock worries me. I have not seen one fail (that is, lock up the gun unitentionally), but there's a lot of internet reports and angst over the IL.

I've got a lot of respect for the Bersa 380, especially considering the low cost. These are a lot of gun for the money, and very reliable. The only one I've seen that jammed, out of some two dozen over the last year, magically cleared up once I told the guy to hold it firmly. I would carry one of these over a PPK.

I would not let anyone I cared about walk out the front door with a Beretta Tomcat. I've seen maybe three dozen over the last year, and only one went an entire box without jamming. And it jammed on the next range visit, and all of this with FMJ, by the way. The Tomcat's slide sits very low on the frame, and will cut anyone with fleshy hands. When I'd see one of these come to the line, it was odds on we'd need a band-aid. FTF was the most common malfunction, but it was still pretty common for them to somehow launch a round out of the magazine, but not tie up the gun. "I thought I loaded five rounds but it only went bang four times", and there's the unfired round on the floor. I've seen at least six where the slide jumped out of place and tied up the gun. Plus there's the long, heavy trigger. I like other Berettas, I never have a qualm over the M9 I carried (9mm FMJ is another matter).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom