• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C & A s Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    You can see I am new here and I was sent to you by some crazy guy that goes by Zembonez on a truck forum I frequent. I saw his link to TGT and sent him a PM with a gun question. He reffered me to you.

I have used your search feature and have picked up some good info.

I am about to buy a pocket gun or possibly would consider carrying it on my ankle as I wear western boots 100% of the time when working. I want to spend $300.00 to $400.00 on the gun.

I am leaning very heavy towards the Ruger .380 LCP with a pocket holster but am open to other suggestions. I really wanted a 9MM but what little research I have done has not turned up anything small enough to conceal comfortably in my pocket. I have to wear Khakis at work and really do not want my clients and associates to know I am carrying.

I own a really nice 686 S & W 357 but have not been able to get it into my pocket.:D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    DK Firearms

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    at academy you can get a rossi 38 for less than 300
    also there is kel-tec they make 32 380 and 9mm very small

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The Ruger .380 is an excellent choice. I have shot it and it is a very true shooting little gun. Kel Tec makes a 9mm that is just a little bigger, and NAA makes a .32 that is about the same size as a Seecamp{ without the waiting list}

I would however reconsider "ankle carry" the LCP is small enough to put in a front or back pocket and thay make holsters that cover the outline of the gun.

I say this because if you need it you will probably need it "Right Now" and if you have to go down to your boot for it you will probably end up dead.

C & A s Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Thanks,

I looked at a Kel Tec today and while one guy that worked in the gun shop was bragging about it and how good it was, another employee came over and began talking to me about the LCP and suggested I wait if at all possible.

Hoji, that is just what I was thinking about "ankle carry".

Thanks again and I welcome any other input.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I will go +1 on the Kel-tec P3AT. They offer a metal belt clip that screws onto the pistol. I can carry mine on me no matter what I wear. Even with your shirt tucked in, you can have in in your waistband and nobody will know. No holster needed with the screw-on clip.....and you can have pistol & clip brand new for under $300.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ankle holster are TV bullshit! It's the farthest away from your hand thats possible. I bought one eons ago when I was but a wee lad. It's about as uncomfortable & usless as holsters get. Anyone who sugests one either has them a bunch to sell, or never wore one.

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Ankle holster are TV bullshit! It's the farthest away from your hand thats possible. I bought one eons ago when I was but a wee lad. It's about as uncomfortable & usless as holsters get. Anyone who sugests one either has them a bunch to sell, or never wore one.
    i dont know about you but my leg is quite large and i ware pull up work boots and tryed to put a 38 it them there just isnt enough room and it digs into the bone every step you take

plus one on the ankle holsters being a bad idea

Shiner Bock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DFW
    For pocket carry I have a S&W 642 and a Ruger LCP and those are both great guns for this. I prefer the 642 and have a lot more confidence in its abilities but it doesn't always conceal well with all my wardrobe choices. The LCP will always disappear into anything that I wear.

The Rohrbaugh R9 is a 9mm that you can pocket carry that but it doesn''t fit your stated budget. If you're willing to go higher you might want to take a look at that.

Make sure you get a good pocket holster whatever you decide.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Kel-Tec's P-32 (.32) or P3AT (.380) are each good pistols. If they weren't the new folks at Ruger wouldn't have chosen that design as the basis for their Little Copycat Pistol.

Here's how I carry my Kel-Tecs when force to wear slacks... it's an Uncle Mike's pocket holster modified to also hold a spare mag.

P3ATH.gif

Here is a group photo of my three Kel-Tecs, the one in the middle is their PF-9, a single-stack 9mm.

KTx3.gif

czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm going to throw in a comment. I dont' have one of these, nor have I ever fired one, but I hear good things about the Taurus 709 Slim. I myself, plan to purchase one at some point. It's in 9mm, has an 8 round capacity, and claims to only be slightly bigger than the 9mm Kel-tec (but with higher capacity). My $.02.

C & A s Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Kel-Tec's P-32 (.32) or P3AT (.380) are each good pistols. If they weren't the new folks at Ruger wouldn't have chosen that design as the basis for their Little Copycat Pistol.

Here's how I carry my Kel-Tecs when force to wear slacks... it's an Uncle Mike's pocket holster modified to also hold a spare mag.

P3ATH.gif

Here is a group photo of my three Kel-Tecs, the one in the middle is their PF-9, a single-stack 9mm.

KTx3.gif

Don't take this wrong because I know almost nothing about the Kel Tec P3 AT but have read some posts here and an article somwhere else that they have problems with them jamming. I had one in my hand today and it felt good but the guy said the Ruger was a much better feeling gun. Just passing along what I have heard but I certainly have not ruled out the Kel Tec.

What did you mean by "the new folks at Ruger"? Has Kel Tec been around longer than Ruger?

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Hey C&A! Nice to see more of the guys here. I agree with the ankle hostlers being a bad idea...really uncomfortable. As for small guns...I'm still looking for one too...

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    i through my Kel-tec 32 in a DeSantes Nemesis
    you would never even know its there and i dont feel it in my pocket at all

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Don't take this wrong because I know almost nothing about the Kel Tec P3 AT but have read some posts here and an article somwhere else that they have problems with them jamming. I had one in my hand today and it felt good but the guy said the Ruger was a much better feeling gun. Just passing along what I have heard but I certainly have not ruled out the Kel Tec.

What did you mean by "the new folks at Ruger"? Has Kel Tec been around longer than Ruger?

All guns have fans and detractors, I happen to be a fan of Kel-Tecs because mine have never caused me a moments grief.

Kel-Tec has been building .32 and .380 pistols of their own design for at least 8 years, it's only recently that Ruger copied that design for their LCP... but Kel-Tec the company has not been around longer than Ruger the company.

After Bill Ruger passed, his family sold their interests in the Ruger company and there are some different folks in charge there these days... that's what I meant by "the new folks at Ruger". They have made some changes, and only time will tell if they did right, or not.

C & A s Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    9x19,

Thanks for the info on Kel Tec. I guess gun choices are very similar to Truck choices. Some drive GM trucks because they had an issue with a Ford back in 1978 and will never own another one, or vise versa.

TxPt, I really like the Walthers I saw but I really did not want to spend that much. I guess I could trade in my 686 S & W but I really hate to let go of it. I plan to take it out of my vehicle and move it into the house once I get the 380.

Thanks again for the advise.

lunchbox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    there are cheaper alternatives to the Walther
    clones if you will that cost a fraction of a Walther

Top Bottom