• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The piston upper "AR-15"?

Don't think much of them honestly. I mean, they are great rifles, but one of the best things about the AR platform is the interchangeability of parts from different manufacturers. If you don't have that you miss out on one of the best bits of the platform. The fact that it is has specific parts doesn't make me want one. If you take care of your rifle, the piston upper's so called enhanced reliability is a moot point. I've seen people put 5000 rounds through an AR without any jams or misfires. There is just no way anyone would put that many rounds through a gun like that without cleaning them.

If you are looking for a good AR platform, I suggest an S&W M&P15 or any manner of Colt.

dexterescoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Good point Phatcyclist. What do you think about a DPMS lower or a Stag lower? Im trying to buid a good dependable AR. I think im going to buy the POF upper and just a cheap but good enough lower. What dont you like about the POF?

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    miscjeanette.jpg

DPMS and stag lowers are the way to go.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good point Phatcyclist. What do you think about a DPMS lower or a Stag lower? Im trying to buid a good dependable AR. I think im going to buy the POF upper and just a cheap but good enough lower. What dont you like about the POF?

The upper on the POF is proprietary, only POF makes replacement parts, and their are no upgrades.

I think either one of those lowers would be a good buy.

dexterescoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    ok thanks. I want a good rifle before it gets banned. Im gonna look around the gun show here and see what i can find. POF is pretty expensive at the gun show man. It runs about 1500 just for the upper. They jacked up the price :mad:. Regular AR's run about 1000. Im also interested in M1A's but they are pretty expensive too and hard to clean so I've heard.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I have a POF billet lower on one of my AR's. I like it now, but was dissapointed that pretty much every hole on the thing was undersized and needed reaming. Once I did that, it's been great.

Unless your a collector - don't bother with Colt, bunch of pretentious a-holes. A Colt rifle does not shoot any straiter than any other quality built AR. I had a Colt once - sold it and used the money to buy two more AR's........waste of time and money if you actually want to shoot it.

dexterescoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    POF

How is a billet lower different from other lowers? POF's lowers are pretty expensive too. The complete lower runs about 500+.

beagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Helotes, TX
    I've shot 2 POF rifles, one complete factory build and one complete upper on an LMT Defender lower. The factory build was their "M4gery" with normal handguards while the upper sported the Predator rail, heat-sink, and crinkle-coating.

I really liked the factory build. Did I like it more than any other quality AR15? Hard to say.

Personally, I like piston-op AR15s. Do I think they are the answer to the AR15 problem? No. I don't think there is an "AR15 problem". I do think they are a nice option, especially if one shoots suppressed a lot.

B.

dexterescoto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    POF

I just got the POF upper and i tried it on a DPMS lower and i noticed that it is wobbling a little. Is this normal?

sykostanger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    san marcos
    im not in love with the piston rifles. but looking at the regular ar's i have a bushmaster thats been 100% and the CMMG's i have are good to go as well. and the CMMG's are not expensive at all. hard to beat 780 bucks for a complete rifle.

Top Bottom