Venture Surplus ad

Point Shooting VS Aim shooting in home defense.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lee Leblanc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Galveston
    When you think about it, if someone is breaking into your home or have already done so,and you are down the hall from then or closer, wouldn't the time to aim down the sights, focus on trigger pull, stance, be the Last thing on your mind?
    Wouldn't that be better for longer distance? Considering you only have a split second window of action before you are shot/attacked etc. I would think that point/instinctive shooting practice/technique would be better suited.
    Opinions please?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I will continue to practice using sights. In the event that I do not have time to aim, I will trust muscle memory and the 1911 to put the round on target at extremely short distances.

Point shooting at anything but very close distances is a wasted shot for 99.999999% of folks.

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    An occasional IDPA match is gonna help me to negotiate a mix of adrenaline and timing and aiming and thus determine accuracy (or lack thereof) in something just a little closer to the real thing than standing still there and aiming and shooting at leisure.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When you think about it, if someone is breaking into your home or have already done so,and you are down the hall from then or closer, wouldn't the time to aim down the sights, focus on trigger pull, stance, be the Last thing on your mind?

I think that is generally true, and explains why so many shootouts have such high miss rates.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    there was a story about 10-15 years ago in San Jose, CA (santa clara. to be exact) where a dude rented a Colt AR and at the end of the night held the range employees hostage.

Long story short, an employee that eventually shot crazy guy said the only thing that stuck when he drew was raise up the gun, wait for the front sight, and shoot. I think he got 2 out of 5 shots on the guy.

For those of you on CalGuns, the thread is on there where he posted, also any bay area transplants might know the range - forget what it was back then, it's currently Reeds.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The Garland Police Officer who shot those terrorist turds said he remembers seeing the sights and making hits.

A security officer whom I taught years ago and had never shot a gun before, came back to a renewal class two years later. He had been involved in a shooting while on duty, his handgun vs a shotgun. He told me that he could hear my voice repeating "front sight, front sight."

That said, several years ago I was at a shooting school as a student. The question was asked about sights vs point shooting. The instructor had us start at three yards and on command draw and fire three shots as rapidly as we felt we could do so accurately, and to do so without using sights. What I found is that from contact to 10 yards I don't use sights in this type of shooting. At ten yards I wanted that front sight, and when I used it I liked my hits better.

YMMV

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Have to agree with TXI on this. Every time you pick up a weapon, the first thought that should go through your head is front sight post.

Think that every time you touch a firearm and it will help not only in the SHTF scenario, but also in safe handling as you become aware of where the muzzle is pointed.

Point shooting can work too, but you've got to factor in, familiarity with the weapon involved, distance to target, adrenaline rush causing you to jerk the trigger, amount of practice with said weapon in point shooting, factoring Murphy's law, etc.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Not life or death, but one of our dogs out here in the country smelled something different. The ‘different’ smell was a 14” copperhead that got him on his snout. MsDis saw him jump back. She came over and saw the snake. She called for me, and I retrieved a Kimber which had some ratshot loaded. We looked for that snake, finally found it as she disturbed it with a long stick. I saw it move, disappear behind a potted plant then reappear heading for sanctuary of a lot of foliage. I had maybe a second or 1.5 seconds or it would have been gone.

The Kimber came up, night sights formed a straight 3-dot line all aligned on the snake. One BANG and the snake was in 2 solid parts, but about a quarter of it was hamburger scattered over our porch. Some stuck on the wall about 30’ away! I’d guess range was 10-12 feet. Certainly far enough to miss! The pellet pattern couldn’t have been more than 3” wide.

Point is, time on the range all kicked in. Gun up, sights aligned on target and bang, faster than the time it took you to read it. Muscle memory! Plus while I never did it that fast on the range, or even tried, it all came together to scratch one copperhead!

We had thankfully inoculated our dogs for snakebite. Apart from a lot of pain, with Benadryl and some good pain meds that boy was right as rain come morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Wouldn't that be better for longer distance? Considering you only have a split second window of action before you are shot/attacked etc. I would think that point/instinctive shooting practice/technique would be better suited.
    Opinions please?

You should really consider some good self defense training. Having an instructor who knows what they are doing teach you how to shoot accurately and properly will go a long way to helping you understand the nature of self defense. Sure, we can all pull the trigger and most of us can hit a target but there is a ton more to good self defense technique than that. It isn’t cheap but for the price of a good gun you can learn to shoot not only well but properly and not get shot by the perpetrator.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Opinions please?

What's better, .45 or 9mm? 1911s or Glocks? AK or AR? Ford vs Chevy... That horse of a subject of point and shoot vs aim and shoot has been beaten into a putrid mush.

Train yourself to use your sights, proper trigger squeeze etc. and develop muscle memory to point and shoot while actually lining up your sights and focus on the front sight without having to make a dissertation out of it every time.

Lee Leblanc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Galveston
    The Garland Police Officer who shot those terrorist turds said he remembers seeing the sights and making hits.

A security officer whom I taught years ago and had never shot a gun before, came back to a renewal class two years later. He had been involved in a shooting while on duty, his handgun vs a shotgun. He told me that he could hear my voice repeating "front sight, front sight."

That said, several years ago I was at a shooting school as a student. The question was asked about sights vs point shooting. The instructor had us start at three yards and on command draw and fire three shots as rapidly as we felt we could do so accurately, and to do so without using sights. What I found is that from contact to 10 yards I don't use sights in this type of shooting. At ten yards I wanted that front sight, and when I used it I liked my hits better.

YMMV
    This makes a lot of sense. Focus on the front sight for quick, closer intense scenarios, and for longer distance scenarios, where you could potentially have more time, aim down the back and front sites?
    Does that sound fair?
    It just seems like it takes forever to get in perfect sight with my Glock 17. I have heard there are better sights out there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You should never be focusing on the rear site. If you have more time to spend on sight alignment then you may opt to use more time, dictated by the situation and consequence of a missed shot vs consequence of spending too much time aiming.

Only way to find the amount of time needed to keep your rounds on target is to practice fundamentals and test your self.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Your Glock 17 is designed to put the front sight on the target and press the trigger. Don’t worry too terribly much about the rear sight. It’s kind of like a peep sight in that you can get good hits if the front sight is somewhere between the rear. Sure if it’s exact it’s a closer hit but if it’s close it’s close enough out to 20-30 yds or so. If however you focus on the rear sight or the target you stand a good chance of missing completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Lee Leblanc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Galveston
    Your Glock 17 is designed to put the front sight on the target and press the trigger. Don’t worry too terribly much about the rear sight. It’s kind of like a peep sight in that you can get good hits if the front sight is somewhere between the rear. Sure if it’s exact it’s a closer hit but if it’s close it’s close enough out to 20-30 yds or so. If however you focus on the rear sight or the target you stand a good chance of missing completely.

Aaaaaah I see now. Don't know why I was so focused on putting the dot in the middle of the I__I of the rear sights. There was a video on YouTube of a man that blackened his rear sights, and this can be a good idea if they are just in the way, or are for far far targets. You guys are being really helpful.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It’s all part of getting good training along with grip, platform or stance, reloading, use of cover, movement and all the rest. We can tell you things but a good instructor can teach you things by evaluating what you are doing and helping you to do them better.

Top Bottom