• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Pretty sad state of affairs. There are some upstanding forum members here that offered to sale me some practice ammo at cost vs jacking it up. I want part of that 1.6 billion allotment!

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    Okay here is my question, they really don't have the ability to order 1,000 rnds online? Or have somebody stand in line somewhere and buy it? We all do it, we've all done it. Makes very little sense to me that a department could let it's self fall so far below supply that they have to beg for 1,000 rnds. That sort of piss poor planning would have me contemplating who I vote for sheriff next election.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Okay here is my question, they really don't have the ability to order 1,000 rnds online? Or have somebody stand in line somewhere and buy it? We all do it, we've all done it. Makes very little sense to me that a department could let it's self fall so far below supply that they have to beg for 1,000 rnds. That sort of piss poor planning would have me contemplating who I vote for sheriff next election.

Governments big and small (and for that matter most businesses) have all sorts of qualifications that must be met into order to be a vendor.
    Some of it is associated with mitigating liability if something were to happen.
    Some of it is cost based, entity x enters into agreement with entity y to buy z amount of units at a certain discount.
    Some of it is just history, say vendor x screwed over entity y. Entity y will have mechanism in place to not buy from vendor x.

There are fair bidding practices.

And lastly at least with gubbermint,it's.political, there are domestic content rules, union content rules, "non-descriminatory" rules etc.

So I doubt most law enforcement agencies can go online to whatever vendor has 1000 rounds of 9 mm. And pick some up.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    This info doesn't surprise me. My neighbor is getting Teclose certified and going through a training course that requires a thousand rounds of 9mm. I've already given him a box to get some range time in and I'm sure I'll be donating some more to his cause soon. At least GTs offered to hold some for him...but only when they get some more. I'm with 1slow though, I'd help an individual but the APD, they're on their own. Until Art Acevedo goes away my support for the APD will be minimal at best.

I worked joint investigations with APD for many years. They have fine outstanding officers that work hard every day. Fortunately the larger depts have ammo stock piled for practice. It is the little departments that don't and don't have the $ for the higher prices.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I would gladly help out my local PD. My sheriffs dept...not so much, and HPD:thumbdown:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    Governments big and small (and for that matter most businesses) have all sorts of qualifications that must be met into order to be a vendor.
    Some of it is associated with mitigating liability if something were to happen.
    Some of it is cost based, entity x enters into agreement with entity y to buy z amount of units at a certain discount.
    Some of it is just history, say vendor x screwed over entity y. Entity y will have mechanism in place to not buy from vendor x.

There are fair bidding practices.

And lastly at least with gubbermint,it's.political, there are domestic content rules, union content rules, "non-descriminatory" rules etc.

So I doubt most law enforcement agencies can go online to whatever vendor has 1000 rounds of 9 mm. And pick some up.

While those are indeed insightful answers, they don't explain how accepting a donation negates those liabilities. Or is there something else I don't understand?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Donated ammo simply "appears" at the range, and no one knows anything - particularly the pencil-pushers in purchasing. Local COP simply replaces what you donated once they get their ammo in, and everyone goes away happy.

Shooting Blanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Houston
    Donated ammo simply "appears" at the range, and no one knows anything - particularly the pencil-pushers in purchasing. Local COP simply replaces what you donated once they get their ammo in, and everyone goes away happy.

This. Procurement rules and regulations typically only apply when an item is being purchased, and a PO is generated by the office or department in question. If there is no PO generated, and no money being spent, the rules are much looser.

In this particular case, it's a very small town and local officials in smaller towns tend to have more power to bend the rules for this type of situation when necessary.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    to rant about corrupt cops, "police harassment" (here's an idea - don't want to get pulled over, then FOLLOW THE GOD DAMN LAW!), part.

Yeah that doesn't hold any water. We live in a criminalized society. You are pretty much always breaking one law or another and probably don't even know it. I guarantee a bored cop could find a reason to pull you over any day of the week.

Top Bottom