• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backdraft341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2008
    spring,tx
    i have a question about brass. do i polish with or without primer in? also does anyone put any additives with there media? i have heard you can add a little brasso with it. or is it better without it?
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A little case polish makes them come out nice and shiny. Do it without the primer out, that way you can clean out the flash hole and primer pocket. It also is easier to clean out the brass when it comes out.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    My recipe, lizard litter, 2 caps of NUFinish car polish, 1-cut up dryer sheet tumble until clean.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I run my pistol cases through the tumbler with the primer in, that way when I deprime them they are clean and do not have the possibility of screwing up my carbide dies. Same goes for my rifle cases since dirt, etc. has the possibility of scratching the inside of the dies.

I use walnut shell media that I buy at Harbor Freight Tools. It's pretty fine grain and does a good job. You need to add something to the media if you want clean, shiny cases.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Definately run the pistol cases with the primer in, you do not want to have to pick media out of the flash holes. When you are cleaning 400 or 500 cases at a time, that can be a real pain in the.....I run my rifle cases in smaller batches, after resizing, so the primer is out to make sure i get all of the case lube off of them. Its a lot easier to look through 20-30 cases to make sure the flash holes are clear.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Another Method

I don't have a brass tumbler or room for it. So I deprime and full size with my Lee die, set up to trim with a cordless drill and the chuck from a Lee trimming tool, trim is a rifle case, don't trim the pistolcases, then spin with a piece of OOOO steel wool against the case. Comes out shiney as a diamond in a goat's "whatever".....

Reason for no room for a tumbler...I reload at my desk in the living room,
    My reloading bench in the barn is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Rifle brass - tumble once for 3-8 hours with primer in to get clean, then for about an hour or so after everything is done prior to priming to clean the case lube off. Primer holes must be inspected and picked clean.

Pistol brass - tumble once for 3-8 hours with primer in prior to any other operation.

Gutshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    I am cleaning 1950's LC 30-06 brass that has been laying around for that long. I first soaked in hot water with muriatic acid and a dash of dish soap. Let sit for about an hour and used a vibrator case cleaner with lizard litter and Brasso cleaner. This cuts the time in the vibratory cleaner to about 2 hours. Most brass is not this dirty. Mine were almost totally black. Now they look new.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Muriatic Acid? That's a new one to me. Is it to remove (or turn) the black tarnish? I have seen many blackened cases because of the alkaline soil here in CenTex. Interesting.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    i usually put a cap or two of mineral spirits along with Nufinish.

makes me feel better at least.

Gutshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Justin, Texas
    The muriatic acid is to remove the tarnish. You can actually see it happen. after a good rinse the cases are left a little reddish in color which is removed when ran through the tumbler for about 2 hours. It also cleans the insides of the case.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Be careful with the muriatic acid. It dissolves the zinc out of the brass leaving the copper color showing. I think this might have an effect on the durability of the brass. Likewise don't use Brasso to polish since it contains ammonia which will very definitely embrittle the brass.

I use corncob with a couple of good squirts of Nufinish polish, and every other batch I add a couple of capfuls of mineral spirits to rejuvenate the Nufinish. Works great and doesn't hurt the brass at all.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    I would definitely de-prime your brass and then polish it. I always cleaned out the primer pockets 1st & then polished with walnut in dillon tumbler. I used a polish compund from Lyman back then. Nowadays I understand they use NUfinish and throw in a dryer sheet. Thats how old I am ..LOL. Haven't been keeping up with the Smiths's and Jones's for several years now ... Good luck

Top Bottom